Menu

Is Discovery Streaming really worth the price?

hsmom2011

I have been on the fence about it too. I might reevaluate when HSBC offers the basic one for less$$ again. I looked at the list for basic and plus and didn't see much on the plus we'd use (mostly it was stuff for upper grades). I was looking at it for libertys kids, but found the, all on YouTube. So I'm holding off for now. It's a lot of money, and we have a great library and sometimes I can find the same stuff on YouTube.

I have been on the fence about it too. I might reevaluate when HSBC offers the basic one for less$$ again. I looked at the list for basic and plus and didn't see much on the plus we'd use (mostly it was stuff for upper grades). I was looking at it for libertys kids, but found the, all on YouTube. So I'm holding off for now. It's a lot of money, and we have a great library and sometimes I can find the same stuff on YouTube.

Does HSBC offer then basic for a cheaper price? I saw it on there for $169. Maybe I will wait, I really don't think I want to go with the plus.

We have this through our homeschool association and I rarely use it because the video quality is HORRIBLE. Very blurry unless you keep it small but then you are distracted by the other stuff.

I would not pay 10 cents for this, sorry.

Thanks. We have a pretty good library, so I think I will stick with that for now. :)

Honestly, we have had very positive experiences with content on Discovery Education. Plus, they have optimized the video for iPad viewing for a lot of content accessible via their mobile portal. Even the non-optimized content is just fine on my iPad or laptop. DD is even fine with it on the big 27" Mac display.

Is it HD 40" TV quality? Of course not. But, we use it regularly and have seen a lot of high-quality content. I can find content to support just about any concept we're studying. It takes work, but it's worth it to us. We use it every week for sure.

I consider it a must-have for us, and we are not TV watchers and only rarely watch documentaries on TV (Amazon Prime or iTunes).

We have this through our homeschool association and I rarely use it because the video quality is HORRIBLE. Very blurry unless you keep it small but then you are distracted by the other stuff.

I would not pay 10 cents for this, sorry.

I agree - I cannot believe the poor quality of these videos. I'm not a fan.

We paid for it last year, and the video quality and even the search function was so poor I regret the purchase.

Only use we got out of it was dd trying to watch the Magic School Bus Videos.

This year I just bought the Magic School Bus DVD set of the entire series....and we use Netflix/Library for Documentaries...So much easier and cheaper.

I bought a 1 year subscription from HSBC last year and immediately regretted it. I thought the videos were generally uninspired and boring.

While there is a mix of quality, and it takes some time to find the good stuff, the free educational videos on youtube are impressive for their educational value.

I used the videos on HSBC and youtube to supplement science with BFSU. The youtube science videos range from homemade (and often very entertaining stuff) to classic videos dating back to the 50s, but still very, very good.

Skip HSBC. I wish I had.