Menu

What says the hive?

You agreed to participate in an event for Mom’s. You asked if there is a certain number of people that need to attend and are told no, there isn’t a limit. It is an all day event. The cost is over $35.00. You let the organizer know that it isn’t going to work for you to attend within 24 hours of when the event is going to happen. The next day, after the event has occurred, you are contacted and told you need to still pay because you had originally agreed to go. What do you do?

Check all the emails and such carefully and see if this was mentioned. If you have it in writing that you asked about minimum attendance, all the better.

I don't think you should have to pay if it wasn't stated, and if the group didn't actually lose money; however, last minute cancellations are one reason I refuse to organize anything other than prepaid events. When home school groups organize an event or field trip, and then either don't show up or show up with half the people, it just adds to the flaky reputation.

Makes me wonder how many people backed out at the last minute also.

This is why I will never organize a homeschool event. Everyone swears up and down they are coming and then they never show or the day before they all can't make it. And the ones who do show are 2 hours late (with no apology or excuse at all).

If the organizer had to pay the $35 then yes, I would pay, regardless of letting the people know that I couldn't make it 24hours in advance.

A lot of the co-op activities here need to give payment to the venue in advance and 24 hours would not be enough time to get a refund, thus the organizer would be out that money. I would not want to leave someone else stuck with that bill. It stinks to be out money for an event you can't attend due to illness or other obligations but that shouldn't become someone else's burden.

Also, some places give a better price for everyone involved if you reach a minimum number of people.

There are too many variables for me to give a decisive answer but the short of it is, if payment was made to the venue, then yes, you need to pay regardless. If the organizer is simply trying to pocket the extra money then that is just wrong. :glare:

If the organizer had to pay the $35 then yes, I would pay, regardless of letting the people know that I couldn't make it 24hours in advance.

:iagree: Even if the organizer hadn't made it clear that by signing up I was making a financial commitment, I'd still reimburse her the money if she had to pay for my spot.

If the event required the organizers to count and pay for attendees by a certain date, then it should have been made clear that you can't back out after that date without payment. If the organizers made that clear, then you need to pay. If the organizers did not make that clear then they should pay and revise their policy so that everyone knows what is expected when.

Makes me wonder how many people backed out at the last minute also.

This is why I will never organize a homeschool event. Everyone swears up and down they are coming and then they never show or the day before they all can't make it. And the ones who do show are 2 hours late (with no apology or excuse at all).

And this is why I always require payment in advance, by a cut-off date, no refunds unless the event is cancelled. I don't accept phone calls...show me your money, honey.

It is also why I start on time, whether people are there or not. I have left people standing on the sidewalk in front of a big event because they arrived an hour (or longer) after the clearly-stated start time. And I didn't give them refunds, either.

You agreed to participate in an event for Mom’s. You asked if there is a certain number of people that need to attend and are told no, there isn’t a limit. It is an all day event. The cost is over $35.00. You let the organizer know that it isn’t going to work for you to attend within 24 hours of when the event is going to happen. The next day, after the event has occurred, you are contacted and told you need to still pay because you had originally agreed to go. What do you do?

In general, I would think that with less than 24 hours notice you would still need to pay.

But...I'm curious why the organizer didn't mention this when you called to cancel instead of waiting until after the event had occurred. I'm imagining a situation where you could have called to cancel because the funds were not available. If she had told you when you cancelled that you would still need to pay, you might have gone ahead and attended. By waiting to inform you until after the fact, she denied you that opportunity.

If nothing was ever mentioned about a deadline for registration or a fee for cancelling after a certain date, I don't think you are obligated to pay. On the other hand, if it were me, I would pay if I possibly could, especially if the organizer bought supplies or reserved a venue counting on you to be there.