Menu

Kindle Organization

How do you organize your Kindle? Do you have Collections? What categories do you use? How do you keep track and not "lose" books?

This comes as a result of the recent free books and audiobooks from Amazon/Audible. I'm overwhelmed with books, audiobooks, SWB lectures, and PDFs. Every now and then I go through the collections I have set up and find books I forgot I had. I have downloaded Calibre but have not had time to figure it out - and it's on the PC, not the Kindle itself. And does Calibre handle audiobooks, PDFs, etc?

Help!!

I have collections. Here's how they work:

BOOKSTORE: free samples

NIGHTSTAND: things I am currently reading

SHELF: books I have purchased that I haven't read yet

ARCHIVE: books I have read

CHURCH BAG: scriptures, manuals, etc. for church and scripture study

FREEBIES: free books I probably won't ever read

HEBREW/GREEK: a bunch of PDFs I use for studying the languages

Mine are:

Currently reading ( I try to keep fewer than 20 in here)

Favorites (that I reread if I can't find anything else to read)

Kids books (all stuff that is suitable for kids so I can help them find something appropriate to read if I need to)

books for older kid - (stuff I bought for older dd but she hasn't read yet - just a quick reference for me)

books for younger kid - (younger dd currently shares my kindle)

cookbooks

books for work

unread

-- I delete from my device everything I've read but don't think I'll reread - it stays in my archive unless it is unfit to read again then I permanently remove it from account so no one else gets tortured with it. I share my kindle account with 4 or 5 family members, and we have a large library.

My collections are:

Biography and memoirs

Children's books

Christian

Classics

Cooking

Culture and philosophy

Education

Fantasy

Fiction - general

Fiction - historical

Fiction - literary

Finance

Games

Health and psychology

History

Holiday

Home and Garden

Humor

Instructional and reference

Latin

Library books

Marriage and parenting

Nonfiction

Science

Science fiction and dystopia

Short stories

Thrillers, adventure & mysteries

Travel

Writing

Young Adult Fiction

Then I always keep my current book outside of the categories so it's easily found.

I don't put all my books on my Kindle though. For the rest of the "mess" I just look at the Kindle online reader to choose something I want (because I can see the book covers) and then download it to my Kindle.

I really wish there was a way to organize everything online like virtual bookshelves where you can drag and drop stuff, etc.

Maybe someday!

I had collections.

Fiction

Non Fiction

Series

Bookclub

Misc

Cooking

etc

I cant explain how to set it up on the keyboard. You use the 5 way while the title is highlighted. Then it will say Add To Collection. But to set up a collection i think theres an option in the Menu? I havent done it in awhile and I dont have my Keyboard anymore.

I had collections.

Fiction

Non Fiction

Series

Bookclub

Misc

Cooking

etc

I cant explain how to set it up on the keyboard. You use the 5 way while the title is highlighted. Then it will say Add To Collection. But to set up a collection i think theres an option in the Menu? I havent done it in awhile and I dont have my Keyboard anymore.

Thanks! I just figured out how to do it on my Kindle Touch based on your instructions. I didn't even realize it was an option to create collections. Phew, now I don't have to scroll through 200 books just to find something at the end.:lol:

Am I the only one who is too lazy to get organized? My books are a jumbled mess and it seems overwhelming to try to put them in any kind of order. The only thing I do is try to put all of the fiction on my regular Kindle, non-fiction (but without too many photos) on the Kindle Fire, and cookbooks or heavily illustrated books on one of the iPads.

But beyond that, I am a disorganized mess. :blush:

Thanks! I just figured out how to do it on my Kindle Touch based on your instructions. I didn't even realize it was an option to create collections. Phew, now I don't have to scroll through 200 books just to find something at the end.:lol:

ok and for the clue-less among us -- help -- i have a kindle fire (3 actually) -- and i'd looooove to make collections for me, my mom (one of the fires is her's), classics for school and children books.

i can't puzzle it out --

i see how to add books to "favorites" but that is all i can figure out

ok and for the clue-less among us -- help -- i have a kindle fire (3 actually) -- and i'd looooove to make collections for me, my mom (one of the fires is her's), classics for school and children books.

i can't puzzle it out --

i see how to add books to "favorites" but that is all i can figure out

ACK! I don't know how much help I'll be. I don't have the Fire, just the Touch. Let me explain how to do it on mine and maybe it'll help you.

K, I go to my home page, where all the books are listed. All 200 of them (eep!). I click the "Menu" button. A new screen pops up and I hit the "Create New Collection" button. Then I name the new collection, I did one for Children's Read Alouds, then hit "OK". To sort the books into the collections, I go back to my home page, and instead of tapping my finger on a title to open the book, I hold my finger on the title and a new menu screen pops up. "Add to Collection" is the option I want, so I click that then choose the collection(s) I want. And just keep adding books to collections or creating new ones. Hope that helps, maybe?

ACK! I don't know how much help I'll be. I don't have the Fire, just the Touch. Let me explain how to do it on mine and maybe it'll help you.

K, I go to my home page, where all the books are listed. All 200 of them (eep!). I click the "Menu" button. A new screen pops up and I hit the "Create New Collection" button. Then I name the new collection, I did one for Children's Read Alouds, then hit "OK". To sort the books into the collections, I go back to my home page, and instead of tapping my finger on a title to open the book, I hold my finger on the title and a new menu screen pops up. "Add to Collection" is the option I want, so I click that then choose the collection(s) I want. And just keep adding books to collections or creating new ones. Hope that helps, maybe?

:( I don't have a menu option