Menu

If anyone is curious to know how my kiddos did in school today

I wrote in this thread and this thread about having to send my kids to school for the first time today. Dd started K and was oh-so-excited, but ds (3rd) was extremely nervous. I was most concerned about ds since he has always been homeschooled and really did not want to go to school.

Well, thankfully, they both enjoyed their day! Dd thinks that kindergarten is great and of course she has the most amazing teacher in the world (of course, this is because she never had her mama as her K teacher! ;)). Her day was perfect in every way. Ds really liked his class and said that it was easier than he expected. They played some math games and because ds is great at mental math (thank you RS Math and Math Mammoth!), he kept beating the other kids. He also surprised himself at being good at reading aloud. He likes his teacher and knew better than to compare her to me ("but you're still the best teacher, mom!" :D).

I am so relieved. I was prepared for tears and begging to not make him go back tomorrow. But no...he is excited and can't wait to see his friends.

I am exhausted. This school-thing is hard! But I'm oh so glad that my kiddos are happy.

Anyone else? If you sent your kids off to school today, how did their day go?

I'm so glad it went well! I posted that dd14 had a good day. She only had homework in English so she has time to study for her first test tomorrow, in Biology. She's very nervous. I am not sure she studied well but all I could do was give her tips. I have to let her do this on her own and that's really hard for me. She seems to make a new acquaintance every day and I think one or two are really possible friend material. She was worried about making friends but being with people has been easier than she thought.

I'm so glad it went well! I posted that dd14 had a good day. She only had homework in English so she has time to study for her first test tomorrow, in Biology. She's very nervous. I am not sure she studied well but all I could do was give her tips. I have to let her do this on her own and that's really hard for me. She seems to make a new acquaintance every day and I think one or two are really possible friend material. She was worried about making friends but being with people has been easier than she thought.

Tests already??? Yikes...I guess she is 14, but still! I am glad that she is finding friend material. That is really hard (and important!) for that age. I'm so happy that it is easier than she thought it would be.

Glad to hear it went so well for yours! Hoping for as good an experience. :)

Mine are off tomorrow morning; they have to be there by 7:30am :blink:. I don't think they'll actually have classes tomorrow; only the freshmen are going, and it's more orientation I think.

I wasn't thinking they'd be doing much in the way of academics even on Weds/Thurs which are the first two days of classes (then 4-day weekend). I can't believe someone has a test already? Is that the 2nd or 3rd day of school??!! - or did you guys start back earlier??

Tests already??? Yikes...I guess she is 14, but still! I am glad that she is finding friend material. That is really hard (and important!) for that age. I'm so happy that it is easier than she thought it would be.

School started here on Aug. 9th, so she's been in over 2 weeks. She has an English test this week and a Math test next week. And I think she has a test coming up soon in her Nutrition class because they cannot do the lab parts (cooking I think :)) of the course until they pass some test. High school is rough!

Anyone else? If you sent your kids off to school today, how did their day go?

I'm glad to hear the first day went so well. That's very encouraging!

My 2 sons go away to school--they're both in high school. Today started their 4th week. Ds2 woke up with a sore throat and said today was the loooooooooongest day. Then he came home and took a long nap. Poor guy. I thought we'd be lucky and no one else would get the miserable head cold I'm just getting over.

My younger ds went to 6th grade today - huge school (nearly 1000 kids!) and he did quite well. He got lost a couple times but asked for help (phew!) and thought that all 4 of his classes were pretty easy. He even answered questions in all of his classes.

Tomorrow he has 4 more classes (his school uses block scheduling), including math. He's most worried about that!

He did have a good day, but his anxiety level is pretty high. He told me how much he loved a class and how easy it was, but then the next minute he sobbed about the 'what ifs???' He really just needed to talk it all out, so we did.

He pointed out that he barely had any play time today after school so I've asked dd to make a point of playing with him when he gets home tomorrow.

I know he can handle it, but it is such a big adjustment..... I missed him terribly, too.

So glad your kiddos are all having good experiences in school. :D

Dd worked really hard on a summer project she has to do for 7th grade. It's not due until the 3rd week of school, but she is almost done with it. Today she completed a drawing of a book cover and did a stellar job. She starts school Tues. :001_smile: