Menu

How to get some quiet during the day

So, I'm one of those moms with kids (3) who don't have volume controls - yes, I really do wish for a know that I can turn to tone down the sounds. :tongue_smilie:

Today was a difficult day for me. My body was reacting to the noise, and I really needed some silence.

Can you please share how you are able to get periods of quiet in the house during the day? (We live in the city with no yard - so can't send the kids out into the yard. They are not old enough to go to the local playground on their own or sit on the stoop unsupervised.)

Thanks!

When my kids were younger, I had two tricks.

1. Lunch out on the patio. If they stayed outside, drank from the hose, all got along, they could stay out the rest of the day. If they came inside, we would finish school.

2. I would tell them, " You had better get this entire upstairs cleaned up right now!" they would never clean a thing, but they would play all day very quietly and sneakily.

I demand it. We have quiet time pretty much every day after lunch. For an hour, everyone lies down and reads, naps, stares at a wall... I don't really care, as long as there is no sound.

I can't take it. Right now, I'm riding in the car and they are all forbidden to speak because they are all talking over each other, making snide comments, which starts squabbling... So they aren't allowed to speak. Period.

When my kids were younger, I had two tricks.

1. Lunch out on the patio. If they stayed outside, drank from the hose, all got along, they could stay out the rest of the day. If they came inside, we would finish school.

2. I would tell them, " You had better get this entire upstairs cleaned up right now!" they would never clean a thing, but they would play all day very quietly and sneakily.

That's what I do too :) I tell DS I want his room clean, like now. He goes up there and plays quietly so I don't realize that he isn't actually cleaning anything. I let him play for a while, but after I have had enough quiet time, I actually do go up there and make him clean up. Don't want him to catch on to my ploy ;)

I demand it. We have quiet time pretty much every day after lunch. For an hour, everyone lies down and reads, naps, stares at a wall... I don't really care, as long as there is no sound.

I would so like to be able to do this. How do you enforce the quiet? My youngest likes to annoy one of the others which eventually breaks the silence...

I would so like to be able to do this. How do you enforce the quiet? My youngest likes to annoy one of the others which eventually breaks the silence...

This is my problem. my two youngest are little teasers, and they never stop moving. I am going nuts. Definitely :bigear: :001_smile:

That's why we have quiet time every day after lunch. Some of them chatter and make noise all. day. long. While the baby naps, they all go to their rooms for quiet time. They can read or play quietly. I spend 30 minutes all alone, enjoying the silence. Then I go do some teacher intensive school things with them for the rest of the baby's nap. In truth, I'm an introvert and would prefer longer than 30 minutes to recharge, and before baby came and when my younger kids were done with school by lunch, quiet time would be an hour or hour and a half.

My kids go in separate rooms or they would tease each other or do other loud things and quiet time wouldn't really happen. When we started quiet time, I would let them pick out a special "school toy" to take to their room. (They were preschool age and could pick a Lauri toy or HWT stuff or something like that.) And when we first started, I sat out in the hall by their rooms with a book, until what is and isn't allowed during quiet time was established. Now, they enjoy the down time and the break from each other.

I drop them off at the Y and hit the weights. Then cardio. Then I sit in the lobby with my smartphone until my free childcare allotment is up. Best money I spend each month is that Y membership.

At home, I will ask the older one to watch the little one while I jam though my to-dos. I am not above dangling a movie or computer time or a later trip to the park/Y/cousins' house in front of them to achieve the desired result. it's a pretty neat trick that they want to go to the Y, eh? And it keeps me honest about going to the gym because today when I wanted to bag the Y, they begged to go.

As others have said, I make them separate. If I can't do that, the warning goes out that there had best be quiet or they will be dealing with a Very Angry Mother for the rest of the day. And I go into my room, shut the door, and turn on the tv, so that helps block out any incidental noises (though I have the Bat ears, so I can hear everything).

And I get up early. That's a habit I've developed over the past 8 years. I used to be a night owl, but after the boys were born, I was absolutely fried by evening, so I slowly started getting up early to have some quiet, lucid time before the day started.

I drop them off at the Y and hit the weights. Then cardio. Then I sit in the lobby with my smartphone until my free childcare allotment is up. Best money I spend each month is that Y membership.

At home, I will ask the older one to watch the little one while I jam though my to-dos. I am not above dangling a movie or computer time or a later trip to the park/Y/cousins' house in front of them to achieve the desired result. it's a pretty neat trick that they want to go to the Y, eh? And it keeps me honest about going to the gym because today when I wanted to bag the Y, they begged to go.

I know lots of people who do this. It works out really well for them. The only reason I don't is because I work there, and it turns into a more social time with coworkers and members, or I end up doing some work.

I also require some quiet time during the day or I really feel like my head will explode:tongue_smilie: My boys are good about entertaining themselves and they can play with legos or draw for hours and you wouldn't even know they are around. BUT, I had my 9 and 7 grandsons this summer and it was a challenge to settle everyone down for some quiet time. I used audio books, it worked wonderfully. Sometime after lunch I would play the audio book for them, they could draw if the liked but no talking. I was able to sit back and close my eyes for 30-60 minutes. I also recommend lunch on the deck, for them, I ate inside or vice versa.

I too can only take so much noise. When it gets too loud I give a warning. After that they have to sit and read or color quietly for an allotted amount of time. If that does not work (or if anyone thinks it's ok to ignore the quiet rule) then it's off to sit on your bed for a few minutes. It's usually my boys who have problems with this. They are separated when they need to be.

We try to spend some time outside every day (but it's been way to hot lately and we have a very small yard). When it's cool enough we hit the beach or the park once a week to run off the energy as much as possible. (The never ending supply is a bit weakened.) We also take walks where the little kids (and sometimes even the big kids) can run ahead of me on the sidewalk.

I do understand a lot of it is pent up energy and I look for ways to refocus. I'm not above letting them hop on the Wii for a little bit on days we just can't make it outside.

I also know that self control is a serious virtue and I'm not above demanding it for age appropriate times. Even from my toddler. She has learned to sit quietly and color for a few minutes. Heck, she and all my kids have learned to sit quietly through a sermon from about 2years old.

Then, because you gotta keep it real, there are days that I give up and turn on Netflix for a half hour to an hour. Saving T.V. for a "special" time always insures they will be entranced and I will have a VERY quiet house for a bit. :tongue_smilie:

My son still takes an afternoon nap, but I've thought about this for when he stops. What about quiet time boxes? You fill them with special toys and books that they can only play with during quiet time. Also, you can bribe them with a snack if they stay in their room for an extended period of time without bothering anyone. You can start with a short time and slowly extend it. Use a timer or something so they can see how long they have.

If they share a room, maybe there's a playroom or another bedroom you can set up for a quiet time if you want to keep them separate. And maybe switch them out every week.