Menu

Staying on-site at Disney with a baby- sleeping tips?

We will be traveling to Disney with our baby. All of our babies have been notoriously bad sleepers. :( We will be bringing our sound machine, as he always sleeps listening to one. I think I will go ahead and pay the $25 luggage charge to bring our pack-n-play from home instead of using one there. :ack2: He is used to sleeping in a room alone, so I really don't know how we will get him to settle in at night. :001_unsure: Any ideas? I'm thinking of bringing a shower curtain rod with a shower curtain to hang up in the bathroom/hall area (we are just staying at All Star Music so your basic hotel room) so he can have an enclosed space. Any other tips to get him to sleep well? Hopefully with all of the stimulation during the day he will fall asleep more easily than usual?

When my daughter was a baby, I remember staying in a hotel with her, under similar conditions. We put her pack n play in the main part of the room, and then I took a bath w/ a book and my husband sat on the toilet (lid down!) watching a movie on his laptop! Real romantic! But, it only took 15 minutes or so for her to fall asleep, and then we could quietly be in the main room again.

Hope you can figure something out.

Heather

I have two sensitive sleepers, and we've had both good & bad experiences at hotels, both Disney and other, as they've grown. We definitely travel with the noise machine and favorite stuffed "friends" and blankies. We've also rigged curtains/sheets up like you said, though we weren't clever enough to think of that in advance. Amazing what you can do with a bell cart. :D

Sometimes depending on the configuration of the room, the bath area is separated by a half-wall and you can stick the pack & play there. Everyone else just has to remember not to flush during the night. :tongue_smilie:

At the All Stars, we've sometimes just left the room (leaving the latch out so we could hear) and played games on the balcony just outside the door until they fell asleep. We're never lucky enough for that to be 15 minutes, though, LOL!!! So we just make it our after party and get our favorite snacks & drinks, movies, games, etc, and have fun with it.

We also worked hard to keep overall sleep loss at a minimum, like scheduling some slow mornings (meaning they could wake up naturally instead of when Stitch calls), midday breaks back at the hotel for ds's nap while dd swam, etc. Doing that helped keep them fairly on track, which meant they usually slept better for me at night too.

Best wishes!!!!

It is not like a basic hotel room- it is much smaller, and from what I remember, the bathroom sinks are in the room. I don't think there is even a curtain around them until you get to a moderate resort level. (I could be remembering incorrectly, though!)

If there is not a curtain to pull around the sinks, then there won't be any room to hang a shower curtain. If you go to disney's website, you can probably find a picture of the rooms!

There is a curtain in Pop Century to separate the sink area from the rest of the room, but I don't know about All Stars.

The rooms are EXTREMELY small. About 243 sq. feet. Smaller than your average hotel room. The beds are doubles, not queens, and there isn't much room to move around.

The value resorts tend to be a bit loud, although we've never had a problem with them. You can hear people walking by your room at night and in the morning, and if there are groups of teens staying there (and All Star resorts are NOTORIOUS for booking school groups....my dd stayed there with her drill team), they are quite loud. You can also hear toilets flushing and water running in other rooms at times, although again, when we stayed at Pop Century, it wasn't a biggie for us. We always sleep well at Disney because we are so darn tired by the time we get back to our room.

I don't think any of the value resort rooms could be said to have a 'hall area,' lol. There's the bed area, with tv, dresser, and small table on the facing wall, and then the sink/mirror is outside the bathroom.

Okay. Sigh. I thought there was a bit of a space between the main room and the bathroom that I could connect a shower curtain rod to, but I guess not.

We cannot stay off-site as we are getting free dining and don't have money right now to change anything, it's all paid for and we're having to save every last penny until we leave next week :)

OK, we have stayed in all the All-Stars hotels. I agree with others, the rooms are EXTREMELY small... much smaller than normal hotel rooms. And they are loud. The walls are paper thin and there always seems to be hordes of children and teens running around outside, at all hours of the night. You won't be able to have the TV on while kids are falling asleep. *I* would NEVER stay in one of those rooms with a baby... we did it with DS when he was 2 and it was the most miserable Disney trip I have ever been on. We have stayed offsite ever since. (I would like to add, that when we do Disney, we go for 10-14 days, which is why staying in a small hotel room is so miserable, I *might* be able to handle it for only 4 days or something, but not longer than that.)

So, with that disclaimer out there, if you are still dead-set (or have to) on staying onsite, have you looked into buying a PeaPod?

I bought my SIL one of these and they love it! Very comfy and the kid can't wander. Plus they can use it until about 6 years old, depending on how fast they grow ;) Maybe you could tuck it in the "closet" area, or something? Maybe even put a sheet over it to make it darker, or something?

If you do change your mind about staying onsite, we always rent condos from Florida Sun Vacation Homes. Choose "Windsor Hills Resort" which is a gated community, about 1.5 miles from Disney. They have 2 and 3 bedroom condos. We have paid $109 a night during mid-season and $89 (or $99, can't remember) a night during low season, for fully furnished 3 BR condos. Being able to put the kids down in separate bedrooms is AWESOME when everyone is tired and tuckered out from a day at Disney. We like to go back for a midday lunch break and put DS down for a nap (when he was younger) and relax a bit. And most of the condos have decorated Disney rooms for the kids. We have stayed in "Treasure Cay" twice and "Mickey's Clubhouse" once. Both very nice condos :)

Okay. Sigh. I thought there was a bit of a space between the main room and the bathroom that I could connect a shower curtain rod to, but I guess not.

We cannot stay off-site as we are getting free dining and don't have money right now to change anything, it's all paid for and we're having to save every last penny until we leave next week :)

You must have posted this while I was writing, sorry :) Oh well, now you know for next time:)

I've never stayed in that resort. So I can't speak to that. But, do you have a white noise machine you could take? I have a white noise app on my phone that works really well for hotel rooms. Helps drown out the outside noises.

I also have to mention that if you don't like that resort, we have never had those issues at Port Orleans Riverside. He rooms are very quiet. And it doesn't attract large groups. If you ever go back, you can still stay on property reasonably!

I have never seen a baby not sleep at Disney. All the daytime sites help the babies sleep well. We used to take ours to Disney just so we could get a decent night's sleep.

Personally, I wouldn't even take the sound machine or a shower curtain. Those things will not be needed.

:)

We stayed at Music last November during "Pop Warner week" I was prepared for LOUD! Absolutely no problems with noise. Really. We stayed in a family suite which would afford you a lot more space and a place to put a pack and play. I know you said you could not make changes now, though. I see you have 2 under 3. I'm not sure you could stay in a family suite.

I agree that kids are so tired after a long day. It is usually difficult for mine to stay awake long enough for a shower at the end of the day.

Thank you so much for the tips! I didn't even think about being right outside the room, that is brilliant. I am hoping he will get so much stimulation that he will fall asleep rather quickly at night.

I haven't done disney with kids, but with the boys at regular hotels, we sometimes sat outside the room in the hallway with a book or laptop for awhile to get them to sleep. With DD we once had a room that was near the lounge area (just some couches) and we were able to put a baby monitor on her and sit in the lounge.