Menu

It is my destiny to study first year Latin on a continuing basis. ;-D

I suffer (or benefit, to put it in a positive light) from a desire to dabble in languages. Aside from gaining fluency in my mother's native tongue, German, and studying Russian for three years, my forays have been short-lived. A brief course in Japanese here; some exposure to Portuguese there. And so on. I just like to get to know a language, to date around, not marry it.;)

Now, Latin & I have actually had a pretty long relationship by my standards, but how we hang out together is the variable. We first got to know each other (not including my early years reading Asterix & Obelix:D) via Prima Latina & Minimus ~ the dull & dry balanced by the entertaining mouse. Then came Latina Christiana, which went fine until I hit LC II and my eyes glazed over.

Given that so many people on this board whose opinions I value were keen on Latin for Children, I wanted to like it...but didn't. So I took on Galore Park's Latin Prep. As a devoted Anglophile, the mere fact that it's British earned points with me. Alas, my initial enthusiasm waned as my penchant for playing the field struck again.

I spent a bit more time with LC I and realized I liked it well enough, while considering Ecce Romani and all manner of other programs. And then...THEN I hit upon Lively Latin. Solid! Approachable! Fun! All I ever wanted in a Latin program, right?!

No. It wasn't. I used it last year with my 6th and 4th graders and it did not leave me with a huge desire ~ or any desire, really ~ to move on to the next book. It was fine. A nice change. But so ~ what's the word I'm looking for? ~ random. Disorderly. It felt like busy work more than anything.

So. Here I am, still interested in dating Latin. Still not wanting to go too deep in our relationship ~ after all, Latin's an extra for me. Good brain candy that serves a purpose for my children, but not a subject we study to the point of reading primary documents in Latin. (Excepting, again, our copy of an Asterix book in Latin. What? That's not what people mean by "primary document"?!)

I have First Form Latin here, and as with all Memoria Press materials, I love the layout. My guys may be beyond it now that they've been through Lively Latin...or not. I dunno. For a person who enjoys Latin, I may not know the language intimately, but I sure do know the products!:tongue_smilie:

(Now someone make me feel better and say you can identify!)

Edited by Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Fortunately I ran out of little people to work with. So Latin and I were able to break up a while ago. I haven't given him a call since we parted, and I think he moved away. :001_smile:

My advice? Stop looking at old photos and move on. You don't need him. Wondering if he is right for you just confuses the issue. Make a clean break. Turn the other way, and breathe deeply until there is no longer a a whiff of classical languages.

I have not once regretted my decision to drop classical languages. (Please no debate, folks. I get that it's a great choice for some. But I won't budge on this for us. It was not a good choice for us at the time.) I have never regretted dumping him. Actually, I sold him on the boards. What does THAT say about me?!? ;))

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

P.S. As far as relating? Yup, I can relate. I tried SO many products. I was convinced that I would find something that clicked. Never did. One of my kids made it all the way through Wheelock's. "That's it? That's the ta-da?" She hated it and was bored out of her mind. We quit. And I sold a massive pile of stuff. And we moved on. Happily.

Edited by Janice in NJ

I've dabbled with "dating" but have to say that this year I came across the most amazing candidate that upon first glance promised to be the one that would influence me to make a long term commitment.

Visual Latin. Funny, engaging, smooth, clear, simple and concise (no busywork here). Upon first glance it may seem a bit shallow in substance, but once you are a few lessons in it proves to be deep and thoughtful especially when accompanied by the worksheets and Latin readers provided free for download.

Dd9 is using it and loves it. She is learning so much in just the few weeks she has been using it. I was really concerned that the grammar would be too much for her, but so far she is following along effortlessly. I attribute that to the clear explanations. I also have been using it with dd14, who is using Henle. Dwayne put out a chart showing how to sync the two up. Several times now she has been able to gain a better understanding of a Henle lesson by watching the VL lesson that corresponds.

Anyway, I don't know if you were looking for another candidate or not but thought I'd put it out there in case you want to give it one more try before you give up on finding your perfect match.:D

Let's see...... I've taken different children through.....

Artes Latinae

Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I & II (I was faking it through II but my ds "got it")

Latin For Children

First Form Latin

I am now a solid first year Latin student. :D

My Spanish list is even longer.....

Thankfully a fluent Spanish speaking mom became my friend, and now I hand my dc over to her in the 7th grade.

Hi Colleen,

Fortunately I ran out of little people to work with. So Latin and I were able to break up a while ago. I haven't given him a call since we parted, and I think he moved away. :001_smile:

My advice? Stop looking at old photos and move on. You don't need him. Wondering if he is right for you just confuses the issue. Make a clean break. Turn the other way, and breathe deeply until there is no longer a a whiff of classical languages.

I have not once regretted my decision to drop classical languages. (Please no debate, folks. I get that it's a great choice for some. But I won't budge on this for us. It was not a good choice for us at the time.) I have never regretted dumping him. Actually, I sold him on the boards. What does THAT say about me?!? ;))

Ha! Love that you went with my analogy, Janice. Yes, I can see a parallel here...Ending a long-time relationship with my college boyfriend and hoping in vain that we'd still be friends.:tongue_smilie:

The thing is, I really do enjoy Latin, at least that first year or so. I just need to give myself permission to enjoy the exposure and leave it at that. Don't worry that I feel no compusion to go beyond that. I think I'll tinker around with First Form Latin this year since I have it here. Maybe I'll include my 7th and 5th graders, maybe not. And in a year or two, I'll do some Latin with Kai (my "baby"!), again, just because I think it's fun in its early stages. Once I have to really work at the relationship, I'm outta there!:D

I've dabbled with "dating" but have to say that this year I came across the most amazing candidate that upon first glance promised to be the one that would influence me to make a long term commitment. Visual Latin.

Have you looked at Lingua Latina?

Thanks, Aime & Michele. I'm not looking to find a long-term mate, just kinda musing about my tendency to date-n-dump, kwim? It's a subject that I enjoy until it requires serious concentration. And you know, I guess I'm okay with that. My motto: "A little Latin goes a long way.":)

I am now a solid first year Latin student. :D

Wear that badge proudly!:D

Have you looked at Getting Started with Latin? You work on translating sentences, so you could feel like you're doing something on your date.

I like Lingua Latina, it's like a fun date. However, after the first few chapters, you're not sure where to go, and the conversation may get too deep if you don't want to commit to a relationship.

Latin is the only subject in all my yrs of homeschooling that has left me wandering around not completely satisfied.

Over the yrs I have tried:

Latina Christiana (dropped after 1 yr.....definitely not a winner)

Henle (used for only a few months b/c I couldn't stand it)

Galore Park (longest ongoing use.....been using it for 3 yrs now, but still not completely satisfied)

Latin for Children (bought after reading so many rave reviews. It arrived. I looked through it and immediately sold it.......absolutely NOT a fit for how we approach learning!)

I think we have finally found a fit for beginners.....our newest addition to our Latin collection: Artes Latinae. My 10 yr old dd absolutely LOVES it.

(Me......I think I have given up ever getting beyond Latin 1......after this many yrs I am still stuck there.

Have you looked at Getting Started with Latin? You work on translating sentences, so you could feel like you're doing something on your date.

:D

I'm planning to buy GSWL ~ a fun, inexpensive way to keep hangin' with first year Latin.

I think I have given up ever getting beyond Latin 1......after this many yrs I am still stuck there.

Don't think of it as stuck...think of it as sucking the marrow out of Latin 1.;)

I have actively avoided Latin for years, having long-term relationships with German and Spanish, I had no desire to play the field.

However, my youngest dd (11yo) has expressed a desire to try to get into the math/science charter in another year, and they require three years of Latin in middle school (and she'd be missing the 1st year if she got in next year in 7th). So, she'll be taking Latin this year. But I refuse to teach it.

Ended up enrolling her in a an online class using Visual Latin and Lingua Latina. It sounds like a winning combo, and she's excited about it. And since I've got the videos, maybe I'll pick something up against my will. :tongue_smilie:

• 2 months later...

If you get GSWL as an ebook, it is a cheap date! I am using it with my DS11, DD8, and DS6. My DS6 has amazed me at how much he has gotten out of it. :) The other day he came running into the schoolroom about Minecraft. They had put "Cogito Ergo Sum!" on the log in screen and he knew what it meant! We love it! I have Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I, Minimus, and LFCA. I returned Latin Alive to the store on Friday and ordered Lingua Latina. I think I found my soul mate! :D

This, this, THIS!!!!!! We spent 3 years as first year Latin students (Indy and I) and using Lively Latin, LfC and something else I can't recall. Someone on here, maybe elegantlion, suggested GSWL and we are zooming through it. Suddenly Latin just "clicked" for both of us. We're about 100 or so pages in and Indy can translate a sentence in a heartbeat. Some of them are quite long and complicated. I can do it, but it takes me longer than him. :glare: We're going to move on to Galore Park after GSWL, but a lot of it will be review for a while. I'm okay with that and I'm sure Indy will be too. Seriously, check out GSWL. We have the paperback because I read sometimes while Indy's doing his work, so I won't give him my Kindle. I think the book is about $20. Worth it!

We're loving GSWL as a cheap date here. :lol: The problem is what to do AFTER using it. It is so perfect for that first intro. Kid and I both love it. I have the ebook version that I put on my tablet, so it was only $10. It has just the right amount of grammar and translation practice for us, and it introduces new vocabulary one word at a time. I understand it, with no prior Latin experience. It's my son's favorite subject! But yeah, what to use next... my eyes glaze over at all the choices. If DS ends up losing his interest later, we'll date another language. :tongue_smilie: I plan to use GSWS for our intro to Spanish, as the program I dated previously just didn't work well for my teaching style. But again, after GSWS, we'll run into, "What to do next?!?" I can find long term programs that work for us in other subjects, but languages... blah.

• 3 weeks later...

I played matchmaker and set my daughter up with Cambridge Latin (in an out of the home class). She liked Cambridge so much that she finished out the series and took the AP Latin and SAT subject test in Latin. Then she went on to college and majored in Latin and is now on the verge of graduating with her Latin degree. (Is she now Major Latin? or married to the Latin man?) I fear she's stepping out on Latin now though -- she's now studying Korean as well.

Regards,

Kareni

I've told Latin he can just be friends with my dd. She's just not that into him--even after a few years of trying to make it work.

She likes Latin's buddy, Spanish, better.

Latin and Greek are still her good friends, though. (We study the roots/vocab.)

Someday she may see Latin as more than a friend, but right now her heart is elsewhere.