Menu

Singapore or Rod & Staff

If you could only use one math program which would you choose and why?

I really like both but I'm tired of trying to combine. Joshua would like to stick with R&S, Annette likes Singapore, so no combining there:).

My younger ones are the ones I'm trying to decide. I know each child is different and you have to go with which one is best for that child, but I would like your in-put too:D.

I have R&S Math for 1-3rd grade that are not being used anymore and am wondering if I should get rid of them or keep them because we have four more dc.

Thanks,

If *I* can't wrap my mind around something, I can't use it to teach my dc.

Singapore doesn't speak to me. I suppose if I cared enough to start at page 1 and read every.single.page, I might learn its appeal.

But why would I do that when I already know that I like R&S? And that R&S is *excellent*?

Which one speaks to *you*? If they are equal, and you own the R&S TMs, I say go with that.

Linda, you know that Singapore ROCKS!!! :D

I prefer Singapore because of the problems solving, base 10 approach, the story problems and the bar graphs. It is one of the few programs (along with ETC) that I started with and still use. <giggle>

But I have never seen R&S so I can't compare.

Have you got everything lined up for next year? I am still working on science for the 5th grader. Course me being me I am working on her science sequence through High School to make sure I make the right decision for next year. :001_rolleyes:

Heather

Linda, you know that Singapore ROCKS!!! :D

I prefer Singapore because of the problems solving, base 10 approach, the story problems and the bar graphs. It is one of the few programs (along with ETC) that I started with and still use. <giggle>

But I have never seen R&S so I can't compare.

Have you got everything lined up for next year? I am still working on science for the 5th grader. Course me being me I am working on her science sequence through High School to make sure I make the right decision for next year. :001_rolleyes:

Heather

I think I have science pinned down. If we go with MFW CtG then we'll use the science that goes with the program. If we use HOD Preparing than I'll go with that science. Although I am tempted to use WP Rock Around the Earth (hope I got the name right) because my boys love rocks, but then again we didn't use the Bugs one from last year yet:tongue_smilie:

Here's the thing. R&S drills those facts down better then any math program I have ever seen.

I can't count the number of kids I know that enter 3rd grade without knowing the additions table (I give leniency on the subtraction:tongue_smilie:), and then the instructors try to dump multiplication on top of that. It's no wonder why kids can't do the work. I see this in hs & ps, it doesn't seem to matter.

Here is what I am doing:

Work through R&S 1st - 3rd. That gives a strong foundation of add, sub, & multiply. Take your time and get the facts down. Then start over with Singapore and work from 2A till Mom's head will explode, for me that was around 4B. :D

After that I moved them to Life of Fred because the problem sets reminded me of Singapore.

I admit I'm rather passionate about the math drill. I didn't learn my math facts in school and I always felt foolish because of it. Now when I see kids struggling with the same old problem it makes me angry. You'll have to take me with a grain of salt!

Best wishes for finding the right fit for your family!

-Christy

SM 1-6 (main program) and R&S 1-3 (selected pages for drill - a year ahead of SM). After math facts are automatic, we supplement with Key to Fractions, Decimals and Percents for grades 4-6.

If I had to pick only 1 program, I'd pick SM. I think the problem solving in SM is second to none. I would supplement with math facts drill via whatever method you choose (Calculadder, Flashmaster, Math Factory worksheets, etc.) I am one of those who believes that the math facts need to be automatic so as not to slow down dc in the upper levels.

If you meant that you only wanted to use one program per child, then I'd use SM for dc who are good at math and R&S for dc who need more review.

HTH,

Sandra

If you don't want to combine the programs but like them both and have 4 up and coming, I would:

Keep all the text books so that you could use Singapore with the dc for whom math comes easily and Rod and Staff for those that need a little extra time and practice.

That way you get to have the best of both worlds.

I use Singapore alone for my oldest who has an easy time with math and have been supplementing with Rod and Staff for my youngest who is taking her time learning math.:001_smile:

Here's the thing. R&S drills those facts down better then any math program I have ever seen.

I can't count the number of kids I know that enter 3rd grade without knowing the additions table (I give leniency on the subtraction:tongue_smilie:), and then the instructors try to dump multiplication on top of that. It's no wonder why kids can't do the work. I see this in hs & ps, it doesn't seem to matter.

Here is what I am doing:

Work through R&S 1st - 3rd. That gives a strong foundation of add, sub, & multiply. Take your time and get the facts down. Then start over with Singapore and work from 2A till Mom's head will explode, for me that was around 4B. :D

After that I moved them to Life of Fred because the problem sets reminded me of Singapore.

I admit I'm rather passionate about the math drill. I didn't learn my math facts in school and I always felt foolish because of it. Now when I see kids struggling with the same old problem it makes me angry. You'll have to take me with a grain of salt!

Best wishes for finding the right fit for your family!

-Christy

My oldest was in public school til 5th, so he didn't count.

But, my now-turning-5th grader hit a wall with Bob Jones this past year, so I pulled out Rod & Staff 4th which I already had here. It was just what he needed developmentally. The Bob Jones was asking for too much abstractness (logic stage thinking).

So, my next dc won't start for awhile (she's just turned 3), but I'm thinking we'll do Rod & Staff during the grammar, concrete-thinking years. Then, we'll switch over to something more abstract - possibly Singapore, maybe BJU - probably in 5th. Not sure of all those details, yet - thankfully, we have plenty of time!

:001_smile:

Rhonda

I use both and agree with Athena about their strengths. If I HAD to choose, I'd pick R&S for early elementary hands-down. After using R&S 1 this school year, we're really cruising through Singapore 1A. It's very useful as a different perspective and I do appreciate its depth. However, if you use Singapore alone, you will need to do more planning to add drill, to make sure your student keeps already learned skills fresh, and to add in extra material if they haven't mastered a skill by the end of the unit. R&S is very complete with built in drill, review and add-on worksheets for extra practice if necessary.

Of course, these 2 programs are a very good pair. You could do R&S during the school year and use Singapore for summer enrichment without having to try and coordinate them. Come on, you know you love curriculum, what's one more little, teensy weensy, math program....

:D:lol::D

My both my boys are doing fine in Singapore math without working on memorizing math facts, and really not much drill at all. They have learned math facts just from using them in working their math.

It has not been fine for my dd, though, and I have switched her to MUS. :) Only time will tell with my youngest dc.

Well, between Singapore or Rod and Staff, I would choose Rod and Staff (I have used both). While I think conceptual learning is a good thing, I am also a firm believer in traditional sequence, and heavy daily drill of facts.

Seems to me that my parents, in laws, and grandparents are so good at math, while the younger generation cannot even make change mentally, to me that speaks *volumes*. Traditional, drill and kill math, for *my kids* is the best choice.

My .02, YMMV :001_smile:

Well, between Singapore or Rod and Staff, I would choose Rod and Staff (I have used both). While I think conceptual learning is a good thing, I am also a firm believer in traditional sequence, and heavy daily drill of facts.

Seems to me that my parents, in laws, and grandparents are so good at math, while the younger generation cannot even make change mentally, to me that speaks *volumes*. Traditional, drill and kill math, for *my kids* is the best choice.

My .02, YMMV :001_smile:

Actually, Singapore does a lot of mental math.

I think I have science pinned down. If we go with MFW CtG then we'll use the science that goes with the program. If we use HOD Preparing than I'll go with that science. Although I am tempted to use WP Rock Around the Earth (hope I got the name right) because my boys love rocks, but then again we didn't use the Bugs one from last year yet:tongue_smilie:

LOL! Well at least you have enough kids that eventually SOMEONE has got to use it. :D

I think I have a final decision (final till something else catches my eye, LOL!). For next year we will do the Real Science 4 Kids Level 1 books. If she can finish them all in a year (with the new Chemistry 1B coming out) then I think for 6th I will have her do SL Science 3, Noeo Biology II or SSBB as filler till she starts Apologia in 7th. She really likes animals and plants. I would just let her work at her own pace and pick another when she finished....but we will see how she does this year first. She has only been doing science independently for a couple of months.

Heather

p.s. If you need math drill Right Start has a game package that makes it really easy. I have the kids play them with each other. :D

Jumping in, I *think* the main difference between the two isn't the degree of "mental" math; but the conceptual nature of Singapore. Some kids are just *not ready* to conceptualize math in the grammar stage (some kids are, of course). Those kids that aren't, however, can be taught math skills ~ even mental math ~ by more traditional "drill and kill" curriculum.

My 10yo ds has really firmed up his math skills, and hence his mental mathematical "concept map", by using Rod & Staff for about 2-3 months last year. Which, frankly, doesn't make sense to me - how can a curriculum that isn't explicitly teaching concepts increase his understanding of them? But, this is reality in our home. ymmv =)

It isn't that one is better than the other - just that they meet different needs.

=)

Rhonda

Actually, Singapore does a lot of mental math.

Right, I do understand that. ;)

But still, for *my kids* the drill and kill, traditional methods are what enables them to DO mental math. At least in my home. :D I think Rhondabee's post re-iterated what I was trying to say, it doesn't always make sense, but for many kids, that's just how it works. YMMV.

Right, I do understand that. ;)

But still, for *my kids* the drill and kill, traditional methods are what enables them to DO mental math. At least in my home. :D I think Rhondabee's post re-iterated what I was trying to say, it doesn't always make sense, but for many kids, that's just how it works. YMMV.

I understand what you were saying now, thanks!:001_smile:

We even do some extra drill w/Singapore as needed.

I love Singapore! Dd has used it from the beginning and is going into 6A in the fall. Ds, OTOH, hasn't done as well with SM. I let him see R & S to see if he would like it better, and we're switching him starting this year in 4th. I let him stop SM towards the end of 3rd grade and go ahead and start the R & S 4 book. He claims to much prefer it and is doing well (which has helped his confidence too)!

This was difficult for me because I think so highly of SM. I plan to use R &S with ds, but still add the SM Challenging Word Problems (R & S 4, with SM 3) so that he can still practice/learn the bars for word problems. (Love those bars!!) Maybe this would be a good solution for you!