Menu

So if you're LCHF... what's for breakfast?

Elana's pantry has some almond flour recipes that are also eggfree and easy to adjust to reduce the sweetener. She has lots of baked good recipes. Also, there are low carb baked goods that you can buy as well if your looking for something like that to mix things up a little, like eating a bfast buritto w/ a low carb tortilla. I usually keep it fairly simple here but a couple of times a week I make some grainfree baked good for bfast.

Here's a recipe for lemon poppy seed bread that I've modified for fewer carbs and to be made as muffins:

1/2 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup poppy seeds

2 cups Atkins Baking Mix (made from wheat gluten and soy flour) 11 grams/carb per 1/3 cup - so 66 grams of carb in this recipe

1/2 cup sugar substitute (this isn't a very sweet muffin. add 2 extra tbsp. for sweeter muffin)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp. salt

1/3 cup melted butter (unsalted)

2 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

1 tsp. pure lemon extract

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375 F. Use a muffin tin with paper cups.

Combine the coconut milk and poppy seeds and set aside for 15 minutes

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.

Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl adding poppy seed mixture into it.

Add dry mix to the wet and mix to combine.

Pour batter and bake for 25-35 minutes.

This makes 6 large muffins. Each muffin is about 11 total carbs.

If you're not comfortable with the wheat gluten or soy flour in the Akins mix, substitute coconut or almond flour instead.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

This morning I had cream cheese, sweetened with Splenda and a little vanilla extract, mixed with some blueberries and walnuts. I also drank unsweetened almond milk and coffee, both sweetened with sugar free coffee syrup. I added heavy cream to my coffee as well. If you miss baked goods for breakfast, you can still have them.:) You just make them with almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein powder, or milled flax seed. There are lots of great recipes. I will try to post some links later today. I eat a lot of LC muffins or pancakes for breakfast.

Lunch is usually a salad of some sort for me. I like chicken salad or egg salad served over a pile of lettuce or spinach leaves. Today, though, I am treating myself to a wrap made with a LC tortilla, roast beef, cheese, kosher dill pickles, lettuce, and mayo, with a side of BBQ almonds (my equivalent of chips.)

Sunday nights are usually "omelet" night around here. I'll probably add ham, cheese, and onions & peppers to our omelets tonight.

For snacks I eat nuts, or Atkins bars, or I'll drink an Atkins shake. There are also great LC dessert recipes. I will make those occasionally.

Here's a recipe for lemon poppy seed bread that I've modified for fewer carbs and to be made as muffins:

1/2 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup poppy seeds

2 cups Atkins Baking Mix (made from wheat gluten and soy flour) 11 grams/carb per 1/3 cup - so 66 grams of carb in this recipe

1/2 cup sugar substitute (this isn't a very sweet muffin. add 2 extra tbsp. for sweeter muffin)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp. salt

1/3 cup melted butter (unsalted)

2 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

1 tsp. pure lemon extract

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375 F. Use a muffin tin with paper cups.

Combine the coconut milk and poppy seeds and set aside for 15 minutes

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.

Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl adding poppy seed mixture into it.

Add dry mix to the wet and mix to combine.

Pour batter and bake for 25-35 minutes.

This makes 6 large muffins. Each muffin is about 11 total carbs.

If you're not comfortable with the wheat gluten or soy flour in the Akins mix, substitute coconut or almond flour instead.

Thank you. :)

Right now, this is my favorite lchf blog for recipes: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

She also has great health info (she does not recommend using soy).

She has quite a few baked goods and "healthified" versions of regular recipes. I've saved many of her recipes to try, but have only had a chance to try a couple of them. Her "Healthified" Chocolate Chip Cookies are THE best. I've made them with all butter and also with half butter and half coconut oil. YUM!

* Exported from MasterCook *

"HEALTHIFIED" CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cookies Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

1 cup coconut oil or butter

1 cup Just Like Sugar OR Just Like BROWN Sugar

1/2 cup erythritol (or Swerve)

2 tsp stevia glycerite

OPTION: add 1 egg (for cake-like cookie)

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

2 ChocoPerfection Bars (chopped)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, Just Like Brown Sugar, erythritol and stevia (add in egg if using). Cream for a few minutes until very fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth. Add in chocolate. Roll 2 TBS of dough into a ball in your hands (for uniform shape) onto a cookie sheet, then press down to they are about ¾ of an inch thick. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and enjoy! I keep mine in the freezer (for portion control!:) Makes 24 cookies.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cookie)

Traditional Cookie = 180 calories 25 effective carbs

"Healthified" Cookie = 125 calories, 1.5 effective carbs

VARIATION: Smoosh my "healthified" ice cream in between! This could also be used as a pie crust. Change it up by adding almond extract and shredded coconut. They can also be made into bars; just be sure to cool completely before trying to serve.

Source:

"http://mariahealth.blogspot.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used all Truvia for the sweetener. I used 3/4 cup to 1 cup total. I used butter and left out the egg. I used a Lindt 90% Cacao bar broken into small pieces instead of the ChocoPerfection Bars. The second time I made these, I used half butter and half coconut oil. They were even tastier! These cookies taste like regular chocolate chip cookies. They are awesome

These were quite good. She has several different donut recipes. I bought the donut pan at Joann's:

Chocolate Cake Donuts

Recipe By :

Categories : Breakfasts & Brunches Cakes & Frostings

Desserts Low Carb

DONUT:

1/2 cup blanched almond flour

3 eggs -- separated

1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)

2 TBS cocoa powder

1/4 cup Just Like Sugar (or 1/4 cup erythritol and 1 tsp stevia)

4 TBS coconut oil or butter

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup Truvia -- (or erythritol plus 1 tsp stevia glycerite)

1/4 cup vanilla almond milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

OR EASY FROSTING:

1 ChocoPerfection Bar

2 TBS unsweetened almond milk (or cream)

Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Combine the yolks, sweetener, oil/butter and whisk until well-blended. Combine all remaining dry ingredients, blend well. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the whipped whites and then slowly fold in the dry mixture, and fold until well blended. Fill the donut pan 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING:

To make the frosting, make Truvia into a powder in a food processor. Melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and butter; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the sweetener, almond milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled donuts and enjoy!

EASY FROSTING: Melt the chocolate bar and add in almond milk or cream. Once the donut is cooled, dip in melted chocolate! Makes 8 donuts

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON:

STORE brand = 290 calories, 33 carbs, 1 fiber

"Healthified" donut = 123 calories, 3.75 carbs, 2.5 fiber

Description:

"These are a great special treat for Saturday mornings and cartoons. My brother and I watched the Smurf's while enjoying donuts from the grocery store...and I never ate just one..."

Source:

NOTES : I made these in a mini-donut pan. I baked them for 5 minutes. It made 33 mini-donuts.

I've posted this before, but this is the best bread I've made so far (I haven't tried any of Maria's yet). I have a co-worker who I shared the recipe with and she just makes free-form buns on a cookie sheet with this recipe.

Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread

Recipe By :

Categories : Breads & Muffins Breads, Rolls & Crackers

Low Carb

1 cup natural peanut butter -- smooth

3 eggs

1 Tablespoon vinegar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 packet sweetener (optional)

Blend peanut butter and eggs until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients. Pour into a sprayed loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Let cool before slicing.

The texture of this loaf is fantastic. It is not dense like many coconut flour breads. It is springy, yet sturdy enough to hold together well for sandwiches. If you don't mind a slight nutty flavor, this will be a go to recipe. It can be made into muffins too. Just think, a great bread with no specialty ingredients or time consuming methods.

Source:

"http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.com"

NOTES : I made this in a muffin-top pan and got 10 muffins. I baked them for just under 10 minutes. I did not add any sweetener. You can also use almond butter.

Right now, this is my favorite soup. I know it's not soup weather, but I still make it. The next time I make this, I'm going to use frozen cauliflower to speed up the process:

Baked "Potato" Soup

Recipe By :

Categories : "Potatoes" Low Carb

Soups, Stews, & Chili

3 bacon strips -- diced

1/2 small onion -- chopped

1 clove garlic -- minced

1 tsp Celtic sea salt

1 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp pepper

3 cups chicken broth

3 cups cauliflower flowerettes

2 ounces cream cheese

1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce

Fresh Shredded Cheddar cheese

Minced fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.

In another pot, bring chicken broth to a boil and place cauliflower in the pot. Boil for 6 minutes or until very tender. Stir in salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Turn down heat, add cream cheese and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Remove from heat and place in a food processor to blend until smooth. Place in bowls, garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley. Makes 4 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving):

Traditional Potato Soup = 323 calories, 7g fat, 7.8g protein, 21 carbs, 2.6g fiber

“Healthified†Mock Potato Soup = 120 calories, 7g fat, 8.1 g protein, 6.2 carbs, 2.77 fiber

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON:

1 cup Potatoes = 116 calories, 28 carbs, 4 fiber

1 cup Cauliflower = 28 calories, 3 carbs, 1 fiber

Source:

NOTES : This was awesome. I added the broth to the pan with the onions to cut down on dishes to be washed. I added a little bit of brie to the soup and topped each serving with sour cream.

.... and lunch and dinner. I have a really hard time with breakfast. I love cereal, muffins, croissants, etc. I had boiled eggs for breakfast, but that will get old fast. I would also love to see a sample of your daily meals.

Thanks! :)

I eat fake cereal. Chopped apple or peach, nuts, maybe fresh berries, and covered in coconut milk. I love real cereal, and can only have eggs a couple of times a week before I'm sick of the, so this works for me. And it's filling!

I eat fake cereal. Chopped apple or peach, nuts, maybe fresh berries, and covered in coconut milk. I love real cereal, and can only have eggs a couple of times a week before I'm sick of the, so this works for me. And it's filling!
Are those dried apples and peaches? That sounds yummy!!! What kind of nuts?

I like French Toast in a Cup -- it's a Primal/Paleo find, so it doesn't list a carb count. Anyway, it's very good.

I used to do something very similar, just no raisins (BLECH LOL). It was quite tasty, especially with cream cheese or butter slathered all over it.

(I don't think I can do it anymore because of the egg, but for people without egg issues, try it!:001_smile: )

I like French Toast in a Cup -- it's a Primal/Paleo find, so it doesn't list a carb count. Anyway, it's very good.

I pretty much have this type of a thing every morning. My recipe is:

1/4 c flax meal

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 egg

3 tsp heavy cream

Mix and pour into a Pam sprayed mug or bowl. Mwave for about 90 seconds.

I like it plain because I spread it with jalepeno cheddar cream cheese. Or onion and chive cream cheese. I usually eat 1/2 of one of these for breakfast and save the other half for dessert (frosted with cream cheese mixed with a little vanilla and stevia). These are great for keeping ya regular!

Making it with heavy cream has been the best for me (tried with butter and coconut oil, both were too oily).

Also, on the bacon, I fry up 4 lbs at a time but not all the way crispy. I store in a zip lock in the freezer and take out only what I need at the moment. Zaps nicely for 30 seconds (or 60 for extra crispy).