Menu

if you wanted your 7yo to love history ...

... and he didn't like SOTW, what would you suggest?

I've been struggling with this all summer. We're working from AO year 2 this year, so he'll be getting history stories; but I don't think it'll light a fire, and I want to augment history a bit. I'm thinking of just going with SOTW b/c he's hard to please and at least that is Following the Plan :D; of using the Core Knowledge History & Geography for 2nd b/c that has lots of cool stuff (much American) that I'd like him to know; or maybe going with Sonlight, b/c Sonlight is getting him to like reading and stories.

ideas?

We are using the Child's History of the World book & CD-ROM, Usborne History Encyclopedia, Discovery Streaming videos to supplement some areas, Draw through History (for the drawing part, not the handwriting part) and the Evan-Moor history pockets. We spend approximately 30 minutes daily. Our days usually have one of the following...

- Read one chapter from CHofW (or from CD-ROM) and discuss

- Read applicable pages from the Usborne encyclopedia (that either tie directly to CHotW or fill in the gaps between the chapters) and discuss

- Discovery streaming video

- Craft or lapbook type page from Evan-Moor history pockets or Draw Through History book

In our first 2 weeks of school, we have just completed up to Chapter 5 of CHotW. We are about to begin Ancient Egypt. There are sooo many cool things to do for Egypt that we will be spending about 5 weeks just on Egypt. Then we'll spend another couple of weeks on Mesopotamia, Babylonia, etc. and then they will draw the Hanging Gardens from the Draw Through History book before continuing to ancient Rome, Greece, etc.

I will also be adding the SOTW audio for long car trips at some point, and we have some library books here and there.

I should probably note that I have a relaxed schedule around it and am not concerned with getting through the CHofW book in a set timeframe.

We added world history to our curriculum because my children were interested in learning it. :001_smile:

---------------------------

Michelle

DD9 & DS7

We are using the Child's History of the World book & CD-ROM, Usborne History Encyclopedia, Discovery Streaming videos to supplement some areas, Draw through History (for the drawing part, not the handwriting part) and the Evan-Moor history pockets. We spend approximately 30 minutes daily. Our days usually have one of the following...

Michelle, thanks so much! Is CHoW easily usable for a secular history curriculum?

ETA: Button was totally uninterested in Egypt. Sigh.

Yes, I think CHotW is easily usuable for a secular curriculum. My curriculum is 99% secular with the exception being CLE Math. My kids like the way the story is written. It is very easy for them to understand. I usually pop in the CD-ROM and read it aloud from the program or sometimes we just read it out of the book. They enjoy the CD-ROM because it has some added little graphics and music. (It's nothing major and definitely outdated for today's technology, but still more entertaining that sitting and looking at a book). CHotW doesn't have as much detail as SOTW, but again, for my relaxed history curriculum I think it is perfect for my children at their age to give them some exposure and have them enjoy the topic instead of having to "study" it too hard. Having said that, I do give grades for homeschool and they get quizzes after each chapter. They still don't mind and do very well.

Does your son enjoy hands-on or crafty things? Some of the things I have scheduled for Egypt are:

The kids wrap each other as mummies (with toilet paper)

We will wear Egyptian style makeup one day during our lesson (I'll just use some black eyeliner or black facepaint to outline their eyes)

I purchased a feather pen/ink bottle set and am going to have the kids paint "frontal" style drawings like the Egyptians (shoulders & head facing forward and body facing sideways) on some old style parchment paper

The history pockets has templates of Egyptian people and you fold tissue paper on top for their tunics

Little booklets from the history pockets for everyday life, the gods, etc.

Crafts from the history pockets for mummies, Nile River, etc.

Shape booklets for pyramids, Sphinx

Pop up card for courtyard

Good luck!!! Hope you find something to spark that interest!

Focus on his interests.

Disclaimer: We do not follow the 4-year history cycle, nor care about learning history in chronological order, and SOTW was a bust for us. DD has been more interested in cultural and social history. She loves biographies, and we have spent a good bit of time studying religions and a lot of time learning about Native American culture. We have also dabbled in ancient math and science. We are swinging into Ancient China for a bit too. She has loved it all because I asked her what she wanted to learn about.

But in terms of just going through a time period and learning important facts, people, etc... she has no interest in it. It would kill her interest. She does enjoy hearing that "xyz" was happening in China while "qrs" was happening in the Americas. But, again, it is what the average people or technology were doing not the "important" people, wars, or facts...if that makes sense.

The Sonlight lists would be a great place to start. CHOW is used in Cores B and C, so check which books get used along with it.

I also agree with it being ok to leave the 4-year cycle and follow his historical interests. If he doesn't want to learn about Egypt at this age, that's FINE. You can hit it later when he's more mature and able to handle learning about things even if they aren't his favorite. ;) You'll at least hit it in high school, and I'm sure by then he'll understand that he has to learn about Egypt to graduate. :tongue_smilie:

AO Year 2 *might* light his fire. The nice thing about Island Story is that there is continunity as the whole book is about England.... less jumping around. And you'll be heading into Middle Ages - knights and kings and lots of things that many boys enjoy. Also, if you're following AO's schedule, you'll probably go a slower pace than covering all of SOTW in 1 year. That might give him time to enjoy one story more before hearing the next. Personally, I think Year 2 is one of AO's best. We also really enjoyed The Little Duke that year.

I don't think CHOW is that different from SOTW in terms of basic style. I wouldn't think a kid who didn't enjoy SOTW would like CHOW any better necessarily. Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely.

I would get the Usborne or Kingfisher encyclopedia to use as a spine and then supplement with whatever he does like - movies, historical fiction, books, art projects, living history projects... The A Kids Guide series has lots of history projects, but there are others like that. If he's into art or science or even sports or drama or something, you could try using that as a way in as well - focusing, for example on the inventions or the games people played and how these things have changed.

Do you supplement with picture books? My youngest has always groaned at SOTW while my middle loves it. But, he enjoys all the supplemental literature I read for each chapter. In fact, so do I. ;)

I just don't consider SOTW to be the only history to read to young children. There are so many fabulous children's writers and illustrators out there.

I do think CHOW is written in an even more conversational tone than SOTW. The author asks a lot of questions and asks the student to imagine a lot more, IMO.

Still, I like those picture books and :iagree: to the supplementing. :D

I don't think CHOW is that different from SOTW in terms of basic style. I wouldn't think a kid who didn't enjoy SOTW would like CHOW any better necessarily. Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely.

I would get the Usborne or Kingfisher encyclopedia to use as a spine and then supplement with whatever he does like - movies, historical fiction, books, art projects, living history projects... The A Kids Guide series has lots of history projects, but there are others like that. If he's into art or science or even sports or drama or something, you could try using that as a way in as well - focusing, for example on the inventions or the games people played and how these things have changed.

AO Year 2 *might* light his fire. The nice thing about Island Story is that there is continunity as the whole book is about England.... less jumping around. And you'll be heading into Middle Ages - knights and kings and lots of things that many boys enjoy. Also, if you're following AO's schedule, you'll probably go a slower pace than covering all of SOTW in 1 year. That might give him time to enjoy one story more before hearing the next. Personally, I think Year 2 is one of AO's best. We also really enjoyed The Little Duke that year.

This is encouraging! Little Duke is one of the few books I don't have on hand yet, so I haven't looked at it ... I know one mother found it slow going at first, but it came to be one of her children's favorites.

Ds he more visual? My ds who is hates SOTW. I would recommend using something like Usborne Encyclopedia of World History. Add in good historical fiction. Maybe some dvds, fun projects and a field trip or two.

I would get the Usborne or Kingfisher encyclopedia to use as a spine and then supplement with whatever he does like - movies, historical fiction, books, art projects, living history projects... If he's into art or science or even sports or drama or something, you could try using that as a way in as well - ....

He isn't particularly visual or into Usborne style at all, so far as I can tell; I think you are onto something with the "into science" -- more on that below ...

Do you supplement with picture books? My youngest has always groaned at SOTW while my middle loves it. But, he enjoys all the supplemental literature I read for each chapter. In fact, so do I. ;)

I just don't consider SOTW to be the only history to read to young children. There are so many fabulous children's writers and illustrators out there.

Picture books aren't solving the problem -- he doesn't love them -- but I have sometimes found him flipping through one voluntarily, which is encouraging!

Focus on his interests.

The Sonlight lists would be a great place to start. CHOW is used in Cores B and C, so check which books get used along with it.

I also agree with it being ok to leave the 4-year cycle and follow his historical interests. ...

This is seeming like the best route. I'd been thinking of using Beautiful Feet's History of Science guide as a springboard to a year of science/technology history. It's so hard for me to let go of the lovely 4-year-cycle, since it makes me feel so organized and thorough :D, but if I could get him interested in history that would be a more-important outcome.

It could just be that he isn't loving history yet, and he may never, really. I know many kids who are over the moon about math and science and dislike history.

This is encouraging! Little Duke is one of the few books I don't have on hand yet, so I haven't looked at it ... I know one mother found it slow going at first, but it came to be one of her children's favorites.

He isn't particularly visual or into Usborne style at all, so far as I can tell; I think you are onto something with the "into science" -- more on that below ...

Picture books aren't solving the problem -- he doesn't love them -- but I have sometimes found him flipping through one voluntarily, which is encouraging!

This is seeming like the best route. I'd been thinking of using Beautiful Feet's History of Science guide as a springboard to a year of science/technology history. It's so hard for me to let go of the lovely 4-year-cycle, since it makes me feel so organized and thorough :D, but if I could get him interested in history that would be a more-important outcome.

Library books on random history things, field trips to any historical sites regardless of time period, living history days of any kind, fun quasi-historical movies or television shows. If children love *history*, they'll eventually get to the chronological-ness of it.

It could just be that he isn't loving history yet, and he may never, really. I know many kids who are over the moon about math and science and dislike history.

You are right, Dawn -- this is sort of why I'm fretting about it now. He didn't used to enjoy poetry at all, and I think he never would have, but via our Charlotte Mason style work he has come to enjoy it: I don't think poetry will ever be "his thing", but I think he'll have much more pleasure from it than otherwise. I'd like him to have an interest in and have curiosity about history, and be able to take pleasure in learning history as an adult: this may not happen, but I'm hoping to plant the seed now ...

Library books on random history things, field trips to any historical sites regardless of time period, living history days of any kind, fun quasi-historical movies or television shows. If children love *history*, they'll eventually get to the chronological-ness of it.

Thanks, Ellie -- I never thought to just grab any interesting historical opportunity that comes our way! you have my brain off and running (there's an air show in October with old battleships; we live in CA so there are Native American and early mission sites; ....) What a very practical & useful word of advice!