Menu

Which movie version of Charlotte's Web

mom31257

Which movie version of Charlotte's Web is your favorite?  

1. 1. Which movie version of Charlotte's Web is your favorite?

• 1973 Version
    • 2006 Version
    • Obligatory Other! (Please explain why if you choose it!)

is your favorite? I am leading a book/movie club this year, and it's our first book. The kids are reading the book at home. We'll get together to discuss the book and watch the movie. We will then discuss the differences. Does one version stick closer to the book? I haven't seen either in quite some time, and we're not finished with the book yet.

Thanks!!

:bigear: We are reading this again right now.

I grew up on the 1973 version, but I haven't seen it since I was probably DS's age. After we read the book a few years ago, I took DS to see the newer one at the summer free movies. I honestly can't really remember it.

Edited by kebg11

We have only watched the 2006 version (well, I saw the other, but so long ago I can't comment!)

Button loved it. End of story :) . He really, really enjoyed the book and just loved this film adaptation. He's super sensitive and finds almost all movies too scary/stressful, and he loved this one. I myself really enjoyed the visual element, and thought it was beautiful to watch and very well done overall; but there are some departures from the story. The one I remember best -- and which bothered me the most -- is that in this movie there is a sense of Charlotte being unpopular with the barn animals and so she is lonely for a friend when Wilbur arrives; and at least one animal says she is icky/scary for being a spider. In the book, on the other hand, there was the sense that Charlotte was generally highly-regarded, and much was made of her beauty (as I recall -- granted, it was usually Wilbur praising her, but nobody argued with him).

However, Button didn't seem to notice; and much was well done.

I was just reading the imdb parent's guide for the 2006 version and had to laugh:

Sex & Nudity

1/10 A boy and a girl look at each other and smile in a few scenes, and then run off holding hands in another scene.

Violence & Gore

2/10 A man picks up a piglet, and then a heavy axe, and walks out of a stall where is confronted by his daughter who protests the fact that he is going to kill the piglet (the man relents). A girl punches a boy in the arm. A girl tackles her younger brother who was trying to kill a spider (the boy had trapped the spider in a jar). A rat is chased by two crows who squawk and dive toward it: one pokes it with its beak, and the other rolls it in an empty can, but the crows crash into a refrigerator and fall in a pan of wet paint. A pig slams its head into a fence plank three times, until the plank falls off and the pig runs out of the yard. A rat with a yo-yo string around its neck is pulled back and onto its back when a sheep steps on the string. A goose slaps another goose on the head with its wing. Spiders break out of their egg sack, shoot a strand of webbing into the air and sail away in the wind. A rat pulls a spider egg sack and drops it off a ledge to the hay-covered floor where it is picked up in a pig's mouth. A horse faints and lands hard on the ground, and a pig faints and lands hard on the ground. A goose egg rolls down a rat tunnel, lands on the rat and breaks open covering the rat with goo that apparently smells really bad (the animals in the bar react to the smell). A rat falls into a tattered stove in a garbage dump. Two crows are frightened by a scarecrow in a field. A man drops a cleaver that nearly strikes a rat on the ground. A piglet squeals and thrashes while in a school desk and the girl who put it there gets in trouble. Animals call a spider many insulting names (creepy, disgusting, hideous). A pig is told that he will be killed and smoked for Christmas dinner. A man pours slop (gooey brown mush) into a trough in several scenes, for a pig to eat, which it does and its face and front hooves are covered with the goo; a rat also wallows in it and eats the slop. A cow flatulates in a couple of scenes, at one time blowing in the direction of a rat that is consequently thrown off a fence. A rat burps loudly, and a cow drools

Profanity

1/10 2 mild exclamations (bloody, ruddy), name-calling (stupid, hairball, creepy, disgusting, hideous).

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

None.

Frightening/Intense Scenes

2/10 See Violence/Gore Total Explicit Content = 6/50

I LOVE the new one. Even just the scenery and the buildings are beautiful to look at. I am surprised more people didn't vote for it. We saw it probably 3 times in the theatre when it was out since we loved it so much!

Since the old one is also good, I think many people are just voting out of nostalgia. :001_smile:

We just watched the 1973 one last night and will be watching the Dakota Fanning version tomorrow. The kids got to pick which to watch first and they chose the animated version. I don't care for the singing parts, but of course my children loved it. It will be interesting to see tomorrow evening which one they prefer. The 1973 one does deviate a bit from the book. It's fun to catch those though. My DD enjoyed saying, "That wasn't in the book!"