Menu

I have a general question on clothing sizes for preteen girls

Dd12 has been in size 10-12 for three yrs (skinny) and is now having a HUGE growth spurt with both height and weight (although still thin.) So where do I go next with sizes? Do I go to 14/16, or try to jump right into women's sizes? Or do I look at junior sizes? I realize it varies, but I'm not even sure what I am looking at for choices in sizes once they get this old.

Also, we'll need new stores to try-she is really modest etc, but obviously getting older too, so I will be having to look for a whole new groove other than the old standbys of Gymboree and Crazy Eight-lol. We will prbly try Land's End but I'm open to other ideas too! We usually don't like the quality/styles of the stuff for older sizes (pre-teen) in department stores like Kohl's, etc.

My girls went from about size 14 into junior sizes. There is some overlap, and of course size varies greatly by brand and style of clothing. Land's End is a good choice if she's wanting some basics. I understand about not liking the junior styles!

If she fits into junior sizes, she could probably wear some things in smaller ladies' sizes as well.

My girls went from size about 12/14 to jrs./misses sizes. My 12 year old wears a 0/2 and the 15 year old a 2/4. Not only does every brand fit differently but different cuts of the same brand fit different. Always try on each item unless you like to do a lot of exchanges. This year all the girls in my girls group (friends and neighbors) brought all of the clothes that didn't fit correctly and just traded with each other for things that did fit them. Everyone came out about even each exchanging two or three items.

It sounds like it may be time for Juniors. I have found that they fit DD (and myself because I am little) better than Misses. Misses are cut with a little more generosity in the hips/bottom than Jrs. DD went straight from a 12 girls to a 0 because 14s didn't fit right.

As far as stores go, we like Old Navy for Junk Food tees. Aeropostale and American Eagle for jeans and tops. JcPenney and Kohl's often have good sales with cute stuff also.

Eta....if you can find a Plato's Closet in your area, they generally have decent prices on resale jeans. I really dislike paying $40 for a pair of Aeropostale jeans for DD and can usually find them there for $15.

My two older girls are both in this stage. I'm shopping size 14 in girls clothes rather than juniors or womens. It is a lot harder to find clothes now than when they were a little smaller. As you note, the good kid stores are no longer an option. Tasteful clothes in their size are gone quickly, so I have mostly given up on the idea of finding stuff on sale for them. Here's what's working this year:

jeans from Old Navy

shirts (3 for $33 I think, so not too bad) at Nextdirect.com. A couple of pairs of pants too, but they're more than I want to spend!

jean skirt from LLBean (love it--straight, just above knee length)

I used to love Lands End, but I'm finding that I don't really like their designs anymore, especially for an older girl. I don't want graphic tees or knit pants. I miss their high quality tees and dresses from yesteryear.

Ah yes, we do have a Plato's Closet-will try it thanks!

So there is a 12/14 size? Maybe that might work for awhile. I'm not even sure if she'd be in a 14/16 yet. I'm glad to know about the cut of the misses vs. junior because she has no butt at all and certainly no hips yet.

I'm sure over this next yr she will go up at least two sizes so I'm glad to know what comes next, thanks, even though it sounds like we're just going to have to try sizes, with the variance over brands, etc.

Dh said don't buy too many clothes at once for her this yr! :)

Great-i will ck out Old Navy. That was actually the place we had the best luck for jeans and corderoy pants last yr (size 10, I think.) Are the jeans in the larger sizes there really low rise though? I tried some on myself there and many of them were quite low rise.

I agree about Land's End-they are unfortunately changing-either too dowdy or too little kid (she used to love their dresses-too young looking for her now), hate the graphic tees, etc. We ALWAYS get our bathing suits there, but

this yr even they were not as nice as far as patterns, etc.

Oh, I meant to mention too-last winter we found a few decent things at 77 Kids. They are kind of too pricey though.

I guess it depends on how big a growth spurt it is -- I am nearly 5'2'' and I shop for tops in the girls' department all the time -- I am pretty sure most girls' 14/16 tops are the same as ladies' smalls.

My 12 year old is 5'4" and the 14/16 shirts are too short, but a junior small shirt fits perfectly.

I am pretty sure most girls' 14/16 tops are the same as ladies' smalls.

Yes, this is the kind of thing I am wondering-if there is overlap, etc, so I know where I'm headed next.

Partly because if she can skip over the 14/16, she might have better luck as far as style with ladies' clothes rather than juniors, maybe?

But I have no clue what, if any, the overlap is with 14/16, junior sizes (0, 2, etc) and ladies' extra smalls or smalls.

Yes, my 12 year old is 5'4" and the 14/16 shirts are too short, but a junior small shirt fits perfectly.

So does it go 14/16, then junior sizes 0 through ?? (what do they go up through?) and then to a ladies' extra small or small? Or is there overlap, or what?

Sounds like the junior tops are longer than 14/16, at least. And I'm SURE the ladies' pants would be HUGE for her.

I have found the kids shirts get wider but not much longer (kind of boxy). The junior tops seem to be longer, but sometimes more fitting. It all works out for my 12 yr old since she's so skinny. They're not too fitting, but they're long enough.

I have found the kids shirts get wider but not much longer (kind of boxy). The junior tops seem to be longer, but sometimes more fitting. It all works out for my 12 yr old since she's so skinny. They're not too fitting, but they're long enough.

So once they hit this changing stage, what kind of stores were y'all going into to find all this out about fit for their new bodies? A department store where they had all kinds of fit?

So does it go 14/16, then junior sizes 0 through ?? (what do they go up through?) and then to a ladies' extra small or small? Or is there overlap, or what?

Sounds like the junior tops are longer than 14/16, at least. And I'm SURE the ladies' pants would be HUGE for her.

My oldest daughter went from a 12 to juniors 00 (smaller than a 0).

Unless they've changed something (which is entirely possible), odd number sizes are juniors, even are misses. Juniors are cut slimmer through the seat and legs, but are overall the same length. Misses assume you've filled out into a more "womanly" shape.

Yes, this is the kind of thing I am wondering-if there is overlap, etc, so I know where I'm headed next.

Partly because if she can skip over the 14/16, she might have better luck as far as style with ladies' clothes rather than juniors, maybe?

But I have no clue what, if any, the overlap is with 14/16, junior sizes (0, 2, etc) and ladies' extra smalls or smalls.

The sizing difference we found while dd was going through the childrens/junior transition:

Girls size 16 & 18 seem to be designed for girls who are larger but not developed. They were long enough for dd, but too big around. The waists were far too big, while the hips fit reasonably well. The t-shirts were too large in circumference and looked baggy.

Junior sizing is for girls who are developing a figure. Dd went straight from I think girls 14 to junior 3.

Ladies' extra smalls & smalls may work, but some of the styles assume a larger bust and the overall look is "older". Also if your dd likes the slim fit t-shirts, those can be more difficult to find in ladies' sizes, at least in the stores where we shopped.

If anyone knows where to find junior sized clothes that are more neutral (i.e. not low-rise, pretorn jeans, covered with fancy stitching, etc.) that is what my younger dd is looking for and we can't find. She wants plain basic clothes that aren't tight fitting -- who sells those?

The sizing difference we found while dd was going through the childrens/junior transition:

Girls size 16 & 18 seem to be designed for girls who are larger but not developed. They were long enough for dd, but too big around. The waists were far too big, while the hips fit reasonably well. The t-shirts were too large in circumference and looked baggy.

Junior sizing is for girls who are developing a figure. Dd went straight from I think girls 14 to junior 3.

Ladies' extra smalls & smalls may work, but some of the styles assume a larger bust and the overall look is "older". Also if your dd likes the slim fit t-shirts, those can be more difficult to find in ladies' sizes, at least in the stores where we shopped.

If anyone knows where to find junior sized clothes that are more neutral (i.e. not low-rise, pretorn jeans, covered with fancy stitching, etc.) that is what my younger dd is looking for and we can't find. She wants plain basic clothes that aren't tight fitting -- who sells those?

Thank you for that info! Very helpful.

And :iagree: with your last statement-I am wondering the same thing! All the junior sizes I see around seem to be that trendy look.

Thank you for that info! Very helpful.

And :iagree: with your last statement-I am wondering the same thing! All the junior sizes I see around seem to be that trendy look.

Levis still have basic styles I believe. I have also found some basic jeans in the Kohl's SO brand and JcPenney Arizona jeans. I think most jeans are lower rise now, but you should be able to find some that aren't super low rise.

Junior sizing seems to be pretty bizarre, and varies wildly by brand. If you have a Plato's Closet nearby go there. You'll have nearly every brand to choose from!

BabyBaby wears a 10 or 12 in girls' pants, but sometimes needs a Junior size- she has a muscular build and inherited my behind. :glare: A 0 (zero) fits- some brands even carry a 00 (DOUBLE ZERO- who knew?) and some brands also come in different lengths.

And don't trust shirt sizes. I have a child who wears a 32A-minus in the girls dept bras and still needs a Junior large shirt so it doesn't fit like shrink wrap.

Old Navy seems to have a good variety of sizes/fits and are stylish but not always skimpy.