Menu

As homeschoolers do we have to follow our states hs graduation req?

Hi all,

Just wondering, (I've been told various answers), as homeschoolers do we have to follow our states high school graduation requirements? I was told we do not, since we are not getting a state diploma.

(In Maryland local ps requires govt in 9th grade, but colleges don't require this - only 3 hs credits in social studies- do we need to take govt, if dd is taking US history??)

Thanks for the help!

No you don't. You are exactly right. You aren't getting a Maryland diploma so you can do what you need to for whatever track you have after high school.

Thank you!

Can I get your opinion - do you think taking gov't is something colleges want to see on a transcript, even though it's not "required"? Would it be considered a "no no" not to have govt on hs transcript? DD has taken Modern (9th), (took AP Psyc in place of history in 10th), AP US hist (11th) and was planning on (AP Euro in 12th), but no govt. Should I try to squeeze it in somewhere?? Again I get varying answers...

Thank you!

What are the requirements where she is thinking of applying? What majors is she considering?

Is she applying to a lot of MD colleges where she's likely to be compared with other local kids? Or to out of state colleges that attract a diverse spectrum of transcripts? Would not having government indicated a gap in an area that she's headed into in college (poli sci, international affairs, maybe history) or does is just indicated a different focus (science, math, literature)?

I think given that this is an election year, you could pull together a pretty relevant one semester course on government using current events and some targeted readings.

What are the requirements where she is thinking of applying? What majors is she considering?

Is she applying to a lot of MD colleges where she's likely to be compared with other local kids? Or to out of state colleges that attract a diverse spectrum of transcripts? Would not having government indicated a gap in an area that she's headed into in college (poli sci, international affairs, maybe history) or does is just indicated a different focus (science, math, literature)?

I think given that this is an election year, you could pull together a pretty relevant one semester course on government using current events and some targeted readings.

Dd wants to apply out-of-state preferrably to ivy league or selective college.

Dd would like to go into biology major (maybe biotechnology or genetic research).

So she would like to pursue taking more advanced sciences at cc. Would not having govt be ok? Thanks for your advice!

As long as you check the particular college and they do not require it and your state does not require it then you should be fine not doing any gov't. In NY we have to do 1/2 unit of gov. per the regulations so there is no getting around it here.

I'm confused... I thought from the first poster, since dd isn't getting a state diploma she isn't required to follow state guidelines? (College doesn't require govt, but State does)... :glare: Can you clarify?

Thanks!

I'm confused... I thought from the first poster, since dd isn't getting a state diploma she isn't required to follow state guidelines? (College doesn't require govt, but State does)... :glare: Can you clarify?

Thanks!

Every state has different laws concerning what is required of homeschoolers. The short answer is it depends on what the Maryland regulations are. According to the HSLDA it depends on what option you are working under in Maryland: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Maryland.pdf

The way I read it, and I am not a lawyer so use this info at your own risk, if you are operating under the portfolio option you must match the state. If you are under an umbrella option, you have to meet the umbrella's requirements. Wow, your HS law is a pain.

Thanks!

There are two sets of "requirements" being discussed here:

1. high school graduation ("exit") requirements

2. college admission ("entrance") requirements

#1 = MD requires certain credits for public high school students to graduate and receive a diploma.

#2 = Varies from college to college, and has to do with basic level of education they want in-coming students to have.

Here is the comparison of MD public high school graduation requirements and University of MD entrance (admission):

For MD public high school graduation, students must complete:

4 units = English

3 units = Math (including algebra (or higher) and geometry)

3 units = Social Studies (1 = U.S. History; 1 = World History; 1 = Gov't)

3 units = Science (1 = Biology; 2 = choice of: Earth, Life, Physical Science)

1 unit = P.E./Health

1 unit = Arts (visual art, music, theater, dance, or a combination)

2 units = Foreign Language (options: American Sign Language, OR 2 units Advanced Technology Education, OR state-approved Career & Technology program)

3 units = Electives

For Admission into the University of Maryland, freshmen should have completed in high school:

4 years = English

3 years = Math (including algebra I or applied math I & II, formal logic or geometry, and algebra II; a 4th year of mathematics is strongly recommended)

3 years = History or Social Science (i.e., Government, Geography, Sociology, Psychology)

3 years = Science (at least 2 different areas; at least 2 lab experiences)

2 years = Foreign Language

"To stand out, you should exceed that minimum, taking several honors and/or Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses and additional academic electives." -- from the UM website on freshman admissions

As you can see, the two sets of requirements overlap quite a bit -- the Univ. of MD however doesn't care as much about Electives as MD public high schools -- but Univ. of MD DOES care a lot more about more and higher levels of Math and the Foreign Language. That is pretty typical of most universities, and high-end institutions want even MORE units, and honor/AP units for the student to be considered for admission.

So, it is very important in laying out your high school student's coursework for high school -- ESP. since you have a student heading towards a high-end university and into the sciences -- to go way above the high school requirements:

- 4 to 5 years of Math (at least Alg. I, Geom., Alg. II, and one math higher than Alg. II)

- 4 to 5 years of Science (at least Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and at least one Advanced Science of one of those fields)

- 2 to 3 years of Foreign Language (note: Latin MAY not be accepted by all colleges, but it is a helpful language to have in addition to a modern foreign language as the sciences have much Latin-based vocabulary)

In addition, you would want to seriously consider:

- honors/AP coursework (to aid with college entrance; AP also as possible college credit) -- usually History, Gov't, Science, or Foreign Language

- lots of SAT / ACT prep (to score well to look good for college admissions and for scholarships)

- high quality extracurriculars (to help with scholarships)

Hope that helps clear up the confusion! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Thank you!

Can I get your opinion - do you think taking gov't is something colleges want to see on a transcript, even though it's not "required"? Would it be considered a "no no" not to have govt on hs transcript? DD has taken Modern (9th), (took AP Psyc in place of history in 10th), AP US hist (11th) and was planning on (AP Euro in 12th), but no govt. Should I try to squeeze it in somewhere?? Again I get varying answers...

Thank you!

*I* wouldn't graduate a child who had not had government, regardless of what a college might accept. I think it's part of training to be an adult.

I went to four high schools in three different states; all required government. I think it's more normal than not.

Dd wants to apply out-of-state preferrably to ivy league or selective college.

Dd would like to go into biology major (maybe biotechnology or genetic research).

So she would like to pursue taking more advanced sciences at cc. Would not having govt be ok? Thanks for your advice!

Well, since I've yet to see any state NOT require 0.5 to 1.0 credit of Gov't. That means the vast majority of students of applying to universities WILL have it -- it may (or may not) end up being a red flag for entry to a more selective institution... Different in "basic academics" seems like it's more apt to raise that red flag than being different because of having homeschooled. Just my rambling thoughts. I'd suggest calling the admissions offices of the schools DD would like to apply to and get a feel now overall (not just about "Gov't or no Gov't") for what they would like to see...

Here's a suggestion that "double dips": Have DD participate in this year's Maryland Youth in Gov't program! She will get lots of information on how government works (you can even count it towards a Gov't credit -- just fill in with the Hippocampus free online Gov't or other text), plus gain skills in leadership, responsibility, public speaking, networking/teamwork, etc. AND it is an extremely well-respected program that looks REALLY good on the extracurriculars list for applying for scholarships. Plus, the students make great friends from around the state and have lots of fun doing the mock Legislation session as the culmination of the program! :)

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Every state has different laws concerning what is required of homeschoolers. The short answer is it depends on what the Maryland regulations are. According to the HSLDA it depends on what option you are working under in Maryland: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Maryland.pdf

The way I read it, and I am not a lawyer so use this info at your own risk, if you are operating under the portfolio option you must match the state. If you are under an umbrella option, you have to meet the umbrella's requirements. Wow, your HS law is a pain.

Only sort of :). Mandatory education ends at 16 in this state so you don't have to do a portfolio any longer once the student turns 16. So, for those last couple of reviews as long as you are teaching a "social studies" or "science in 9th and 10th grade, by law the reviewers can't be too picky about whether it is a local government class or a "History of the Aborigines" because both would be considered social studies. Many people sign up with an umbrella and choose to follow their requirements until 17/18 to get that church's diploma.

My dss16 (almost 17) was homeschooled by his mother this past school year and there were no portfolio requirements. He wasn't required to attend school this year.

Anyway, I just thought I'd clarify the law here.

I agree with the other posters about needing to look at the admission requirements for colleges/universities you might be considering rather than worrying about what Maryland requires.

Edited by Mandamom

Only sort of :). Mandatory education ends at 16 in this state so you don't have to do a portfolio any longer once the student turns 16. So, for those last couple of reviews as long as you are teaching a "social studies" or "science in 9th and 10th grade, by law the reviewers can't be too picky about whether it is a local government class or a "History of the Aborigines" because both would be considered social studies. Many people sign up with an umbrella and choose to follow their requirements until 17/18 to get that church's diploma.

My dss16 (almost 17) was homeschooled by his mother this past school year and there were no portfolio requirements. He wasn't required to attend school this year.

Anyway, I just thought I'd clarify the law here.

I agree with the other posters about needing to look at the admission requirements for colleges/universities you might be considering rather than worrying about what Maryland requires.

And thus why I gave the caveat. Thanks for clearing that up!

I don't know if MD is like PA or not, but PA offers state scholarships for in-state schools (sometimes they offer partial scholarships to out of state pending the state and whether they reciprocate). Homeschoolers are only eligible for these IF they complete state graduation requirements (same as ps kids). The scholarships tend to be around $3600.

Colleges tend to not care as much about some specific electives. I think gov't would be one of them personally, but on the other hand, many states (like PA) are increasing their gov't requirements (going from .5 credit to 1 credit and a Keystone test soon), so it's a tough call.

I agree with the pp who said it was important to them. It is to me too. I think it's an essential part of a student's education and they should know more than just voting. But that's just my opinion...