Menu

Help me pick a bagged vacuum :)

I currently have a Eureka Boss Smart Vac, but the switch has failed, and it costs too much to repair it. We've had it for 8 yrs. so for about $150 it was fine.

I may get another, but here is what bugs me about it:

- It is very heavy, I cannot lift it or use it (which I can make work for me!)

- Everything plastic has broken, the cord holder, the attachment holders, etc.

- The attachments make marks on floors and walls when I vacuum cobwebs

I don't want any computers or complicated expensive stuff on it. So that ruled out the Hoover Platinum. I do use the on board tools a lot, so I may have to keep struggling with it being heavy.

I think I may want to upgrade just a tiny bit.... maybe better tools, a little lighter, if not lighter, then self propelled (maybe). I also want bagged, I have already ruled out bagless for many reasons. We mostly have carpet, but I do use the vacuum for the tile floor in the kitchen and eat in. We also have stairs that are carpeted. I think I want an upright, they usually work better than canisters on carpet, but I am open.

It also looks like recent vacuums don't match up to older ones (unless you know a brand doesn't lose quality). So even if you love your 12 year old whatever, I probably can't get one. :)

Thanks!

I just replaced my broken upright with an Electrolux Oxygen and I am utterly in love.:001_wub:

We have always had cheap uprights and got tired of them breaking and not really cleaning so we decided to upgrade to a canister. So glad we did. I've cleaned places I have never been able to reach before and it has a lovely handle for carting up and down stairs. I've only had it for about a month so I can't comment on longevity but it does have a 5yr. warranty as *long as you keep the receipt* for date of purchase. The hose came with a bend from being in the box too long but they replaced it for free right away. Great cust service. Costco online seemed to have the best price. Good luck!

I am on Costco website, littlebear, how is the hose on the Electrolux Oxygen? Someone complained that it doesn't swivel and it kinks. And that it only sucks well with a brand new bag. But so far (still reading) several really like it.

Liz - I've heard about Miele from the hive and there are mixed reviews. I don't have many repair options, so I need a buy, run it, I'll change bags and belts, it lasts and isn't complicated. Is there a computer, automatic things, etc.? Do they have a basic model that is good?

The hose kinking problem for me was only when the hose was bent. It was resolved when I got the new one. It is made of plastic but unfortunately they all are on moderately priced vacs. I find it sucks well, except when bag is completely full, which is understandable.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Nothing beats a Hoover Windtunnel (the bagged kind...not the crummy bagless hunks of junk!) I had one when I got married and cried when it finally went kaput. After going through two of the bagless ones, I found a refurbished one on Amazon. Praise the Lord!!!!

After my last Kenmore canister died a few years ago I thought I'd try a bagless upright vacuum. Boy did I ever regret that decision.

Yep, no bagless, read that you have to clean the filters once a month, replace every 3 months. Maybe that is because the dirt and dust aren't contained in the bag. I'll take the bags any day!

I've never had a canister. It seems canisters are more for hard floors, and my house is mostly carpeted. I also don't know how I feel about dragging the canister while I vacuum. I am open to trying if its good though. I don't have good repair options.... and no one nearby sells Miele, so I don't know how I will be able to look at one and try it out.

Adding: OK I just noticed that Amazon sells the Mieles at quite a discount..... do I need to start a Miele thread? There are so many!

Edited by Susan C.

Adding another "must have": I HAVE to be able to get the bottom of the vacuum off myself without having to take it for service. Can you easily get hair off the roller and change the belt yourself? (just saw a review, yes!!)

Do clogs go past the hose to inside the vacuum? That part (behind the roller and belt) looks sealed on the Miele.

Edited by Susan C.

My husband walked into Sears, bought the nicest canister vac at the time, and it has been good for us. It doesn't marr the floors, and it's relatively quiet. Canister works for both carpet and hard. Go to Sears and try it and then you'll know for yourself what you want. Ours has a hard surface part that pulls out of the motorized carpet part. That way you can go back and forth. It's handy when you want to sweet your kitchen.

I have one from Oreck and I'm so glad I invested a bit extra. The handheld is fantastic for stairs and baseboards! It has a lot of suction! The Upright is very basic and light weight but really picks up the dirt.

http://www.oreck.com/Oreck-Graphite-Power-Team-Vacuum/515,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=oreck-vacuum-power-teams

We also like our Oreck.

Yep, no bagless, read that you have to clean the filters once a month, replace every 3 months. Maybe that is because the dirt and dust aren't contained in the bag. I'll take the bags any day!

I've never had a canister. It seems canisters are more for hard floors, and my house is mostly carpeted. I also don't know how I feel about dragging the canister while I vacuum. I am open to trying if its good though. I don't have good repair options.... and no one nearby sells Miele, so I don't know how I will be able to look at one and try it out.

Adding: OK I just noticed that Amazon sells the Mieles at quite a discount..... do I need to start a Miele thread? There are so many!

It's not that a cannister doesn't work on carpet, it's that an upright won't work on hard floors. I think all uprights feel too heavy after you get used to a cannister. My house is mostly carpeted and I love my Kenmore cannister. It's old, and I just took it to the shop. I'm REALLY hoping they can fix it because I'm in no mood for vacuum shopping. I may have just shorted out the plug. Fingers crossed.