Menu

Celiacs and Dominos Pizza ~ any experiences

Has anyone with a severe gluten allergy or celiacs had experiences with Domino's pizza, whether good or bad? I would love to hear from those with a severe issue, not just those who feel better off of glutinous grains.

Obviously, I am only talking about their gluten free crust pizzas :001_smile:

Thanks

DH's aunt has several celiac kids, and she says they can't eat there because the pizzas are made on the same surface as the regular ones. They don't clean in between or anything.

Actually, the GF crusts are pre-made and shipped to Dominos so they are not technically made there. The sauce and toppings would be put on in the restaurant and they are cooked there. I can see how cross-contamination could happen but not as likely as if the crust was actually made there, if that makes sense?

I am just curious since DS had his first GF pizza yesterday (and from Domino's). I also had him on a dairy free diet though and I thought I was testing occasional cheese, but then I read about how the crusts can be cross-contaminated and now I don't know :confused: UGH! Within an hour of eating it, his eyes were puffy and he had a headache. By evening he had diarrhea. He came home and went to bed at 5:30 and slept until 9:00 this morning. He is still tired. I am just trying to sort it all out.

He is suspicious of celiacs but not yet diagnosed.

Dh and dd have celiacs and I'm gluten intolerant and I would never ever eat at Dominoes. Not unless they totally changed their set up.

Unless you get lucky and get a Dominoes that actually knows what it's doing this is where contamination will come in: the employees won't change their gloves, they use the same toppings that are sitting out uncovered and being constantly dipped into for use on regular pizzas, they are baked in the same oven as the gluten pizzas, and last and probably one of the worst is that they might use the same pizza cutter. Oh and not to mention there is flour flying all over that place for their regular pizzas.

The warning on their website says not to eat there if you medically need to be GF. It basically says the only thing it can guarantee as being GF is the actual crust. The rest ends up being coated in cross contamination.

There are pizza places out there though that are good and make careful precautions to prevent cross contamination of their GF pizzas. One of my favorite websites is http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com Not only does it have a pretty good list of available places with a GF menu but people can leave reviews.

Also, always always always talk to the manager before ordering. We have found it's usually the best indicator of how your experience will be. We have walked out of places after talking with the manager and/or chef (one who told us the food was so hot there's no way gluten could live in his food - that was at the House of Blues at Disney btw). The managers at the places we go to regularly know us on sight because we still talk to them every single time even though so far we've only had 1 incidence of being glutened in the 3 yrs we've been eating there.

Oh and I forgot to mention: dh is super sensitive, he was getting sick at work from the microwave handle. He says his first symptom when he gets glutened is not his stomach hurting but instead it's a headache.

Both he and dd will typically be in the bathroom with diarrhea within about 30-45 mins though.

Don't do it. First, you can make a better pizza at home. I tried it. Wasn't impressed. Was in the bathroom very quickly with worse reaction than some other gluten foods. Won't do it again.

Waaahhhh! I was so looking forward to trying it! Regarding making pizza at home. I tried once and it was truly awful. What is your recipe??

Margaret

Thank ya'll so much for your thoughts! I was so upset that it made DS so sick, but it helps me to know that it could have been the gluten. I feel so certain he has celiacs. He had the lab test last week. I am hoping it will be positive (if he has celiacs), in order to save us from all the yucky tests they may want to do if it is negative.

Waaahhhh! I was so looking forward to trying it! Regarding making pizza at home. I tried once and it was truly awful. What is your recipe??

Margaret

I use the Gluten Free Pantry French bread/pizza mix. It makes 2 pizzas and does great every time. My extended family loves it too and GF seems weird to them but they like this pizza!!!

For lower cost I buy 6boxes at a time on amazon and do autoship.

Margaret

We like Gluten Free Mama pizza crust here they have it on Amazon. I've yet to find a homemade recipe I love, but keep trying!

I have an allergy, NOT celiac (although sometimes I wonder if I have both because after the hives go away I usually also have GI issues).

I ate it twice, before I heard about the cross contamination issues (the crusts are made separately, but toppings are shared).

I thought it was delicious and never had as much as a single hive - BUT - both times we ordered the VERY FIRST pizza of the day (they answered the phone before they even opened, it was a manager, and I explained I had an allergy) so my experience may be different than ordering at 10pm at night when you're dealing with high school and college kids.