Menu

We've ordered the blueprints

and met with our contractor. We should break ground on a new house in a few weeks. :D

This is what we are building:

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=114...

After all our indecision about which route to go (buying vs building) this is a relief! But now all this picking out of EVERYTHING is going to give me an ulcer!

I was wondering that too. I love the layout.

Somewhat :D It will actually be my craft room/office area. The kids do school all over, so as long as we have bookshelves somewhere we are good.

Also, we are taking out the bathroom that is beside it so it will be an L shaped room. (We figured that if the rest of us had to share bathrooms so could our oldest :lol:) We will be making the jack and jill bath into one that is accessible from the hall.

I think we are doing a red metal roof with white siding.

I think picking out the hardwood floors and the cabinets will be the end of us though. Dh and I have completely different opinions on what looks good. He likes warm and cozy (red/orange woods, dark rooms) and I like light and fresh (white/cream cabinets, chocolate floors :lol:) Trying hard to meet somewhere in the middle!

Unless you have strong feelings on certain things, I would stick with basic, classic but good quality finishes. Pick a door knob you like and use that for the whole house. The classic items will stand the test of time and you can always use accesories or paint colors for some splash.

I think picking out the hardwood floors and the cabinets will be the end of us though. Dh and I have completely different opinions on what looks good. He likes warm and cozy (red/orange woods, dark rooms) and I like light and fresh (white/cream cabinets, chocolate floors :lol:) Trying hard to meet somewhere in the middle!

I would find something in the middle tones. I have friend that have light and friend that have dark and both say they wish they would have gone with more of a middle tone---to hide dirt/dust bunnies and it is more classic look.

I would find something in the middle tones. I have friend that have light and friend that have dark and both say they wish they would have gone with more of a middle tone---to hide dirt/dust bunnies and it is more classic look.

Yeah, we are talking natural oak floors and and maple cabinets with a mocha finish right now. Not something we are both in love with, but nothing we hate either.

How exciting!!!!

Re floor colors--I have to say my "Golden Retriever-colored" wood floors are great. :001_smile: I didn't even know he shed until a week after we got him.

Wanted to add I think the jack/jill bath upstairs opening to the hall is brilliant. It was my suggestion to jackson'smama on her thread...LOL!

Edited by Chris in VA