Menu

how much would you have to save to buy e-book when you prefer hard copies?

caedmyn

The cheap part of me is conflicting with the part that really prefers books over e-books! And of course you can't re-sell an e-book... If you prefer "real" books over e-books, how much cheaper would the e-book have to be before you'd buy that instead?

It would have to be A LOT cheaper for me! I actually use my kindle all the time for my own personal reading.

However no matter how hard I try, I can not use a reference book of any kind in e-book format. My brain just does not absorb the information at all whereas in a "real" book not only can I usually flip right to the section I need to when looking up something but I can recite entire paragraphs word for word (which often got me into trouble for "cheating" in high school until I would sit down and re-write it again word for word in front of the teacher lol).

At least half. I prefer a hard copy.

:iagree: Although I have to say that I am using Fallacy Detective which was free from amazon prime really effectively. I have it on my fire and reader--same account. While reading from one, I have the answers up on the other. It is acctually easier then page flipping.:lol:

I am learning my lesson about not buying ebooks. I have so many wonderful ebooks that I have bought during the Scholastic dollar days sales but I hate sitting at a computer to read them!! I don't use them when it's in ebook format and I don't want to PRINT IT ALL OUT. Mow I would only buy them REALLY cheap (maybe to preview or if it has a lot of printables) and still have the hard copy.

I would never buy an ebook of something that just had to be read, like a story...I prefer actual books...That being said, I would almost always buy the ebook version of something the children need to write on, something that needs to be photocopied like a workbook...I don't like making copies from books and would rather print sheets off of my computer...So when I bought Math Mammoth and Elemental Science, I bought the ebook versions...

The only way I would purchase an e-book is if it was not available in print or had a suitable substitute, and it was very cheap. I get FREE downloads and print them because I don't like reading from a screen any more than necessary. So I have the expense of printing. Since I use inexpensive toner refill kits I can print an average 200-300 page book for about $2 (paper, toner, cardstock and duct tape) when done in booklet setting. But I wouldn't buy an e-book for the cost of a new book to add to that expense. I never could understand it when I see e-books for $1 less than a printed version. Each to his own I guess.

I buy pdf formats fairly easily, but actual ebooks... I've bought one - Getting Started With Latin. It's $10 as an ebook or $20 as a real book. I looked at used prices and decided to just get the ebook. My son and I snuggle on the couch and read it from my tablet.

If I didn't have a device for reading an ebook, I would have done hard copy.

It depends on the TYPE of book.

FOr example if it's any kind of homeschooling how-to book, then I prefer a real copy that I can either

A: Decide is extremely useful, and mark it, highlight it, underline it, and take it with me any where including the pool or park.

B. OR if I don't think it's too useful, I can re-sell most homeschool how-to books for a good chunk of the original cost.

For novels, If it's a special book that can't easily be found at the library, that I'm almost certain we will love, such as Betsy-Tacy, for example, I buy a real book. If not, the e-book of a novel in general needs to be about 40% less than the regular book for me to buy the e-version.

Since I can't re-sell, or lend e-books and I can't take them to the pool, and I have to squint over a bright screen...they just really have to be quite a savings for me to buy them.

I would never buy an ebook of something that just had to be read, like a story...I prefer actual books...That being said, I would almost always buy the ebook version of something the children need to write on, something that needs to be photocopied like a workbook...I don't like making copies from books and would rather print sheets off of my computer...So when I bought Math Mammoth and Elemental Science, I bought the ebook versions...

:iagree: it's easier to print off the worksheets than to photocopy, but I prefer to hold a hard copy of a book.

Nearly free or better, to make up for the cost of printing it. I won't read books off the computer, or print them out in little bits throughout the year. If it's truly worth using I will print it all at once and put it in a prong folder or binder, thus turning it into a hard copy. :P

Depending on the type of book, it would have to be practically free. Some ebooks I can get really cheap and then have them printed at Staples. If that isn't cheaper, I'll just pay the extra to buy it as a physical book. I really, REALLY dislike ebooks so the deal would have to be amazing.