Menu

Body builder mommas (or exercise pros?)

Is it possible to look different (less bulgy in areas) but still weigh the same and measure the same? I've been working out with my sons for the past month - approx 3 to 4 times a week for 1 hour. I'm using the recreation center's machines (arms, legs, abs, back, etc.) as well as the elliptical machine. My son, the body builder wannabe, has given me the routine I need to use :tongue_smilie:

My weight is the same, my measurements (waist, hips, chest) are the same, but my clothing fits differently. People have commented that I look thinner but I cannot say that I am based on the measurements. I do know that I've gotten rid of the 'old lady flabby arm' issue :D, but I'm a little discouraged that my measurements and weight haven't changed. But I no longer *need* a shaper under some of my more form fitting clothing.

Any advice? I'm not really dieting and really don't care too much about weight loss because I'm technically at the low end of normal BMI (although my bone structure is not made to carry as much as they say). My main problem is flab - flabby stomach muscles, flabby arm, flabby knees, back fat that bulges around the bra area under form fitting clothes, and a saggy bum. BTW, I just turned 50 and have had 4 children.

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Should I change the workouts? Any suggestions esp. for the abdominal area?

You probably look better because you've lost fat and gained muscle. It would be very possible to maintain the same measurements, yet look a lot better, so that's most likely what has happened to you. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were a few pounds heavier -- yet appeared thinner -- because muscle weighs more than fat.

What kinds of workouts are you doing?

Well, I'm not sure what they are called (really started this just to spend time with the boys), but I do the elliptical for about 30 minutes and/or 2.5 - 3 miles. I'm working at keeping my heart rate down (at my age that's important :P). Then I do biceps and triceps (2 different machines) about 30 lbs each for 3 sets of 8 or 12. I have worked on the abdominal machine at 50 lbs, but I really can't feel any difference. For the past 2 workouts I've used the 'machine' in what I call the BIG BOY weight room. I hold myself up with my forearms and raise my knees to horizontal and I add in leg lifts where I keep my legs straight (that's the hard one). I have been doing 3 sets of 12 (except the straight leg) on that. I do the lower back machine on 75 lbs and do 3 sets of about 15-20 - maybe I should do fewer reps and move the weight up? I do back thigh at 45 lbs 3 sets of 8-12, front thigh at 45 3 sets of 8-12. For the arms and legs, I get the muscle burning feeling. I don't get that for the abs or back.

The torso is my biggest complaint. I hate to see back fat bulging around my bra! It does seem to be a bit better...maybe I should have added some other measurements like between my waist and hip (where I've accumulated a bit). It just seems weird that things look different but there is no hard evidence of such :)

I hear ya.... I teach group exercise (cardio, strength, stretch combo classes) 60 minutes, 4-6 times per week (depending on the week).. and that's my story.. the scale doesn't go down, but it feels very different.

you might like to read this article for some encouragement

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

-crystal

It sounds like you're making improvements. It may take more time for YOU to see clear differences because you see your body everyday. If you want to see demote of a difference in your core, you cold swap one of your workouts for a Pilates or bellydancing class. :D

You can weigh the same and still have things shift a bit and tighten up in places. Also, if you've improved your strength or posture, you could just be carrying yourself differently and this might be what people are responding to. They think you look 'better' and they automatically assume weight loss.

This makes sense. Think about it this way. You used your arms for example. The 'flab' on your arms was likely more toward the underside of your arm. The muscle sits more on top. As the flab is going away underneath, you are adding to the muscular side. The measurement can stay the same but instead of being soft like pudding, they are firm like steak. Same measurement, but very different on the inside.

Well, I'm not sure what they are called (really started this just to spend time with the boys), but I do the elliptical for about 30 minutes and/or 2.5 - 3 miles. I'm working at keeping my heart rate down (at my age that's important :P). Then I do biceps and triceps (2 different machines) about 30 lbs each for 3 sets of 8 or 12. I have worked on the abdominal machine at 50 lbs, but I really can't feel any difference. I urge people away from that machine. It's awkward and very easy to use your accessory muscles instead of your abs. A stability ball gives you a better feeling for actually using your abdominals.

For the past 2 workouts I've used the 'machine' in what I call the BIG BOY weight room. I hold myself up with my forearms and raise my knees to horizontal and I add in leg lifts where I keep my legs straight (that's the hard one). That is a "captains chair". ;)

I have been doing 3 sets of 12 (except the straight leg) on that. I do the lower back machine on 75 lbs and do 3 sets of about 15-20 - maybe I should do fewer reps and move the weight up? I do back thigh at 45 lbs 3 sets of 8-12, front thigh at 45 3 sets of 8-12. For the arms and legs, I get the muscle burning feeling. I don't get that for the abs or back. You are tiring out your arm and leg muscles by isolating the target muscles. The abdominal and back extension machines do not isolate the target muscles; you use your hip flexors, shoulders, etc., and there are a lot of muscles working in concert.

The torso is my biggest complaint. I hate to see back fat bulging around my bra! This is the single biggest request I get. Weight loss is what helps with that, not toning. You can have 6-pack abs under 100 lbs of belly fat. It does seem to be a bit better...maybe I should have added some other measurements like between my waist and hip (where I've accumulated a bit). It just seems weird that things look different but there is no hard evidence of such :)

The "old lady arms", by the way, are a result of a flabby triceps muscle, held in a position where the muscle is relaxed (90 degree wave?) and not having super-tight skin. The muscle gets flabby because there really aren't activities of daily living that use it, unless your daily living has you pulling down on heavy ropes or hauling stuff over your head from behind you. Conversely, we use our biceps a lot.

It sounds like you're doing well, and seeing positive changes. I wouldn't worry about the numbers right now. You're likely to see those happen, seemingly overnight, after the shifting around stops.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

The "old lady arms", by the way, are a result of a flabby triceps muscle, held in a position where the muscle is relaxed (90 degree wave?) and not having super-tight skin. The muscle gets flabby because there really aren't activities of daily living that use it, unless your daily living has you pulling down on heavy ropes or hauling stuff over your head from behind you. Conversely, we use our biceps a lot.

It sounds like you're doing well, and seeing positive changes. I wouldn't worry about the numbers right now. You're likely to see those happen, seemingly overnight, after the shifting around stops.

:iagree: Keep up the good work!

I started working out with dd for the same reasons as you....and I have not lost weight....never measured....but I think I am firming up.

We do spin classes 2x a week and sculpt classes 2x a week....plus I walk 3 miles a day...

I really want to gain some flexibility and balance....and some abs would be nice too. 7 kids and the first a c-section has not made a nice belly! I will be satisfied with any abs at all!!!

Sounds like your having fun....and that is the biggest part of the battle.

You're doing great! Congratulations and keep on going. Your body will be changing a ways difficult to see, including your aerobic fitness - heart and lung capacity.

Have you had a trainer help you set up a training schedule so you can gradually increase your intensity, etc. in a safe and healthy way? I would do this, for sure. It's worth the money, and will probably motivate you to keep going as you see and feel more positive changes.