Menu

Would you start over?

sthompson

My DD is 6 1/2, 7 in December. I started her in first grade last year at 5 1/2 with everything thinking she was ready. (yes, I know I jumped the gun:glare:) We stopped math after a few months but finished the rest. She has started back up a few weeks ago with math and things are better. I'm a little concerned about everything else though. I'm not sure if I should go back to the beginning and do first grade all over (this would not be a bad thing as this is her first official year). Or if I should just keep going with the second grade work. I must admit that her attitude towards learning is frustrating. I am totally interfering with her playtime.

So what would you do? Start over and make sure she's got it or flounder?

We are using FLL, AAS, WWE & MM

Thanks, Stephanie

Start over and make sure she's got it or flounder?

You're answering your own question here. :) I would start over. Just put her in first. That's a pretty late birthday! My DD has a birthday that just misses the cutoff in TX so I put her in first grade anyway because I knew she could handle the work. I was right about that skill-wise but she wasn't mature enough for the new load so I changed gears and put her back in Kindy that year (where there are zilcho requirements at my house). It was a great decision to back up with her. I tend to do what is good for morale for all concerned. Moving onto the next levels of AAS/WWE/FLL and continuing with MM1 with a first grader would definitely be better for my morale than starting those programs with a "second grader" in name only and feeling behind in math from the start.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My son was at a "first grade" level in skills at the start of what would have been his "official" kindergarten year so I went with that. I have to say that in math at least, I definitely should have just skipped doing it formally.

I would be concerned that going back would just frustrate her further. Can you not assess her skill and knowledge and just from where she is skill-wise rather than thinking in terms of restarting an entire grade?

You're answering your own question here. :) I would start over. Just put her in first. That's a pretty late birthday! My DD has a birthday that just misses the cutoff in TX so I put her in first grade anyway because I knew she could handle the work. I was right about that skill-wise but she wasn't mature enough for the new load so I changed gears and put her back in Kindy that year (where there are zilcho requirements at my house). It was a great decision to back up with her. I tend to do what is good for morale for all concerned. Moving onto the next levels of AAS/WWE/FLL and continuing with MM1 with a first grader would definitely be better for my morale than starting those programs with a "second grader" in name only and feeling behind in math from the start.

:iagree:I did the same thing my 6yo's K year. I started her a year early. and then tried starting 1st last year it was too much. We will be starting WWE and FLL over this year as well as history and science. I say start over and move as quickly or slowly as she needs. Focus on her skill levels rather than her "grade level." It is better to go back and build a strong foundation with no gaps then to keep pushing forward and have her continue in frustration throughout her school career. :grouphug:

My son was at a "first grade" level in skills at the start of what would have been his "official" kindergarten year so I went with that. I have to say that in math at least, I definitely should have just skipped doing it formally.

I would be concerned that going back would just frustrate her further. Can you not assess her skill and knowledge and just from where she is skill-wise rather than thinking in terms of restarting an entire grade?

:iagree:with this also. Depending on how far you got in each program I would either start over if it wasn't that far or assess were shes at in each subject, do as much review as needed, and move on when she is ready.

ETA: What I wrote wasn't very clear, I was trying to type with one hand while holding my son in the other. So let me try and clarify what I meant. I started over with my daughter because we only got a few weeks in, so it wasn't a big deal to start over. If you got farther in, say like half way or more, I wouldn't completely start over. I would redo the parts that you think she is struggling with. So in math for example if the first lesson were say about numbers and counting pictures and labeling the number of pictures you see, you probably wouldn't need to go back and review that simple concept. What about addition, did she understand that, do you need to go back and review that 1 + 1= 2? etc. How is she doing on addition facts from 1-10. What about subtraction. Maybe she understood addition and subtraction just fine and she left off at multiplication. (this is all just an example of course) The point is you don't have to redo everything, only review the things you think she didn't quite grasp the first time around. And then just proceed from there at her speed. If you are worried that she didn't understand most of what you taught in a particular subject than it woudn't hurt to start over and quickly go through anything that is easy to her, skip things if you need to, and then slow down when things seem to get challenging. Hope some of that made sense.

Edited by ForeverFamily

Both of my older dc have been ahead skill-wise. Instead of making them do a 1st grade load in K, I just keep the same load but use 1st grade materials. Does that make sense? For instance, my oldest has always been way ahead in math, but his 1st grade body couldn't always handle a whole 3rd grade lesson. In that case, we'd do a half lessons. It is the same way with reading for my 2nd ds. He is fully capable of reading long chapter books, but doesn't have the maturity to sit still long enough. Reading 5 pages of a book at his level is just fine.

In your case, I'd consider your dd a 1st grader and adjust the materials up as needed. That works just fine as long as you feel comfortable adjusting as you go. I would certainly not let her flounder or feel stressed out by any subject.

I don't know that she would be more frustrated repeating. In the grand scheme of things I think I would rather know that she is where she should be as opposed to pushing her too hard. I also had an early start and had a rough time through fourth grade. I don't want to do that to her. Sheesh, I should have seen the writing on the wall!

Thanks for you thoughts so far.

Stephanie

FLL is gentle enough that continuing with FLL2 would not be a big deal, unless she was struggling with 1.

Restarting WWE is not a bad idea. Or you could pick passages from whatever you're reading and ask for the same output as in level 1.

AAS is not grade based. Just pick up where you are, and go at a reasonable pace for a first grader.

As the mother of accelerated children, I will tell you that I try to match input to ability level while maintaining age appropriate output. My 5 year old could probably fly through first grade math conceptually, but he's not ready for the maturity of doing much higher than he's doing. He will likely end up very accelerated like his older brother, but not at age 5. He has the attention span and work ethic of a 5 year old, even if he did figure out multiplication this week. :tongue_smilie:

Well, is she actually foundering in everything? Or, does she have a good foundation in some things? She's not going to remember every teeny thing. If you really feel as though you made no progress, start over. It would have been difficult to progress in something like AAS, if she didn't have some understanding of the basics, I would think.

If she has the basics from those programs but is feeling pressured now, why not just slow way down and do less each day to let her even out that way? My kids would balk at going back to the beginning of something, but usually don't mind slowing down.

I only have WWE and FLL of those you listed, but it would have been no problem to just continue slower. They review quite a bit, so anyone stepping into level 2 directly would still be able to do 3 successfully. If you take level 2 slow and easy, she should be ready for level 3 whenever you are done, whether at the end of this year if you continue full pace (I probably wouldn't do that in your situation), take 1-1/2 years, 2 years, etc.

Well, is she actually foundering in everything? Or, does she have a good foundation in some things? She's not going to remember every teeny thing. If you really feel as though you made no progress, start over. It would have been difficult to progress in something like AAS, if she didn't have some understanding of the basics, I would think.

No. However I used the same curriculums last year with my DS who was second grade. I remember during some of the lessons thinking that it would be too much for her this year. She had an average year last year and I'm not convinced it was just her lack of interest.

Stephanie

I wouldn't advise making a child repeat the same things - that usually leads to boredom. You can of course repeat a concept but using a different method - so if she was struggling with WWE you can do the same level but use your own books rather than repeating the exact same passages. My DD is also working ahead but slower - so we do half a math worksheet often unless she really wants to do more and when she gets to the level where she can do more we can speed up. She wanted to write a novel for her cousin, but this is far too much at her age and her ability to write so we just do what she feels she wants to and stop when she's done enough. Very often it is not the standard or level of the work but rather the concentration level that affects things - you can also do the higher level and split it into two shorter sections per day rather than one long lesson if you think it will work.

My young children always enjoyed 'showing' what they knew and didn't mind repeating. I got cheerful attitudes with an easy to lightly challenging level of schoolwork for the K-3 grade crowd. Once they reached 4th or 5th grade repeating became frustrating, and they were able to handle a challenging level of school work. Hence my vote is for starting over and not worrying about it. :001_smile:

You don't have to go back and do "first grade" over. You just help her with whatever she needs help with.

:iagree: Yeah. I wouldn't "start over" or "redo" anything. If she needs more help with the things you've already covered, I would use different resources, or, as someone suggested, do something like using different passages for the same level of WWE.

If you want to call it "first grade" again, then I think that's incidental on some level.

Well, I almost could have written your post. I started 1st grade last year with a 5.5 yo (turned 6 in late October last year). We did AAS, FLL 1, and WWE1, plus phonics and Right Start B. She did fine all year.

But this year, it seemed like she was starting to struggle with 2nd grade materials. Since we'd been debating this issue for 2 years, we looked at her struggles as the "tipping point" that indicated she would be betterr off doing 1st grade again. We are not holding her back . . . We're just no longer accelerating her.

I am planning to finish roughly half of WWE2 and FLL2 with her this year. Keep moving ahead with everything else. We put a very positive spin on the decision with her and she feels positively about being at the older end of her class now (for Sunday school. Activities). I am VERY comfortable we made the decision we did.

And for the record, we have another, older daughter whon we did accelerate even with a late November birthday. She went off to college at 17 and begged us to go at 16! She has done well, but there have been social ramifications. In short, acceleration is right in some cases, but should not be done lightly.

It sounds to me like you are about where I was six weeks ago. Best of luck with your decision! :-)

Edited by LynnG in Hawaii

Well you definitely don't want to leave her FLOUNDERING in anything. Anything she's FLOUNDERING pull back on right now, because she's a child, not a fish. However anything where she's doing great, loving it, things are going well, the material is on level, sure continue right on.

The way we've handled the discrepancy of age and grade level over the years is to call her by *age grade* for social purposes but teach her at her level. That's what I would encourage you to do. Just back up, inventory, see what's going well and what isn't, and make an assessment. You might want to think about correcting the grade level thing as far as what you tell people, simply to make it more tidy. Around here she'd be a rising 1st grader. And for amount of time and physical amount of writing, etc., I would use the WTM 1st grade recommendations. That way she's doing things that fit her physically. But academically, sure bump things all you want to fit her.

My dd finished FLL1/2 part way into 1st, having begun it in K5. I wouldn't get too hung up on it at that level. The content is pretty simple and little kids are marvelous memorizers typically at that age. So just do what happens or seems natural and don't let that affect your perception of her grade level, mercy. On the math, just do what fits her. Yes, if she is unhappy I would ABSOLUTELY consider doubling back. Maybe double back with something different for a while. The Bob Jones math would be in color and would be a fun option for her. Singapore might be more similar. But feel free to shake it up. It's good to have diverse experiences. Might even find some new favorites doing this! :)

:iagree: DD always has to ask what grade she is in, and when DS13 went into charter school we really had to evaluate what grade for him to enter since we've never used "grades". I started at the beginning and moved forward. I expect them to work at the level they are at, whatever that may be. Because most children are somewhat asynchronous in their abilities, this has worked wonderfully for us. It takes a lot of pressure off, both me and the kids! :001_smile:

So, instead of doing anything over (unless needed to regain skill) I would just start at where she is at and go from there.

I must have been typing on my iPad or something when I wrote this. :lol: I'm glad everyone understood what I was saying. :tongue_smilie:

I would not repeat FLL1. My child did great (all things considered) with reciting the definition of a noun 3000 times (although granted, we never finished it) but I would expect mutiny if I told him he was going to have to do it another 3000 times. :lol:

But then again, one has to know their own child and if that's what floats their boat then that is what is important and not how my child would feel. :D

Yes, I would absolutely start over. Explain to her that you started her too young and that it was your fault, and that you don't want to rush her ahead and have things be difficult and frustrating for her, so you're going to put her where she should have been and do 1st grade again this year.

Just like you're having problems now, if you just forge ahead with 2nd grade etc., you may continue to have problems later- finding that when she hits late elementary and/or middle school, that she may have gotten more out of all her research, literature, and writing assignments if she'd had that extra year of age and maturity. Or finding when she hits high school that you don't want her "finishing" school and going on to the next phase of her life a year younger than her peers.

It's just 1st grade, it should be enjoyed, and not rushed. Just my opinion. :)