Menu

Please share what you would say in this situation...

I took dd12 for a little outing today as she was so tired of laying around for over a week. We visited a few really neat shops. The heat was pretty bad today. On our way to the last shop we wanted to visit, a beading place, dd noticed an elderly woman sleeping on a bench at the bus stop across the street. She looked like she was somewhere between the ages of late sixties to late seventies. Dd felt very bad seeing her there, stomach exposed, shoes on the ground. This dd is the one who has a very special heart for the elderly, loved helping to care for them in the nursing home when we visited my mom when she was in rehab, helped care for my mom in our home, and has been volunteering at a retirement home for over a year.

We went inside the beading store as we were quite uncomfortable in the heat. When we were done, we drove to a restaurant and ordered dinner to bring home. Boloco. mmmmmmm! On the way home, a good hour later, I turned down a side street and there was that poor woman laying down on the grass on the side of the road. Her pants were halfway down her legs. Dd was DEVASTATED to see this poor woman, as was I. I immediately turned the car around. Dd looked worried and asked me what I was going to do. I said, "Sweetie, her pants are down and I need to go get them up for her.". I saw a policeman approaching the woman as I got nearer so I just drove away. At this time her pants were mostly ip and it was obvious that this elderly woman was wearing a diaper.

Dd was speechless. She couldn't talk. I knew if I said much I would cry. I asked her if she was ok and she said, "I am in shock. That is so sad. I have never seen a homeless person before."

I do believe the woman was drunk.

Tell me, what would you have said to your child had you witnessed this? I had a very hard time finding my words and just broke down and cried for the poor woman. I wish I could have bought her dinner but since the policeman was with her, I left.

Edited by Denisemomof4

Hard situation, and hard to know exactly what I'd do. I think I might have explained that it was good the policeman was with the woman, as he would be able to help her better than we would have. If you had bought her dinner, that would have been a help, but she'd still be outside. Perhaps she will get connected with a shelter and some long-term help. Then I would have prayed for the woman with my daughter.

I probably would have explained that many, many homeless people are mentally ill, and that's why it's so important that we continue to make sure we have good mental health programs so that people can get the help they need to care for themselves and not end up on the street. It's all well and good to help out at homeless shelters and whatnot, but being a vocal advocate for mental health programs is going to help more people in the long run, I think.

I would let her know that the police would make sure she had a place to stay. Police are there to serve, not just to arrest people for speeding.

My youngest is a lot like your dd. So concerned for others. We would pray for the woman and all the homeless that night. I think later we would make some sandwiches and donate them to a shelter.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I wonder if she was not homeless but had actually wandered away from her caregivers, possibly having been lost for days. I can't imagine many homeless people having access to adult diapers. :confused: I would say, "I'm so glad the police are there to help her get the care she needs. I wish we had realized earlier that she actually needed help."

I probably would have explained that many, many homeless people are mentally ill, and that's why it's so important that we continue to make sure we have good mental health programs so that people can get the help they need to care for themselves and not end up on the street. It's all well and good to help out at homeless shelters and whatnot, but being a vocal advocate for mental health programs is going to help more people in the long run, I think.

Yes, this.

:grouphug: for your dd.:grouphug:

I wonder if she was not homeless but had actually wandered away from her caregivers, possibly having been lost for days. I can't imagine many homeless people having access to adult diapers. :confused: I would say, "I'm so glad the police are there to help her get the care she needs. I wish we had realized earlier that she actually needed help."

:iagree:

and i know 1 Food Pantry where we use to live gave away Adult Diapers :)

That would have been my thought as well.

:iagree:

I probably would have explained that many, many homeless people are mentally ill, and that's why it's so important that we continue to make sure we have good mental health programs so that people can get the help they need to care for themselves and not end up on the street.

this. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I would also use the opportunity to explain that while your dd is a little young to be involved in hearings for good mental health programs, at her age, she is able to volunteer at feeding programs for the homeless - my dd does.

And, last year when dd13 was in CC, topics such as the one you mentioned were xcellent issues for debate, and for middle schoolers to become acquainted with the reality of these situations and to form their opinions.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Here's what I would have said and have said to my kids: "Honey, there are many, many services for homeless people in our country and in our state. When people want help they can get help in the U.S. By "help" I mean that they can get food and shelter and even mental health help."

I don't want to debate the point, but having worked for years in health and human service org. I believe this.

Alley

Here's what I would have said and have said to my kids: "Honey, there are many, many services for homeless people in our country and in our state. When people want help they can get help in the U.S. By "help" I mean that they can get food and shelter and even mental health help."

I don't want to debate the point, but having worked for years in health and human service org. I believe this.

Alley

That does vary from place to place, though.