Menu

ISO: Kitchen Compost Crock/Bin

I saw some at World Market the other day. I liked that they were sturdy and cute enough to sit on the counter. Snug sealing lids and biodegradable bags....but I think they were a bit smaller than you are looking for.

Have you checked with an organic nursery nearby? They might have something larger or know a source where you could get one.

that I can fit in my kitchen cabinet. I really do not want to keep it on the counter, so I do not care what it looks like.

I would prefer it to be larger than one gallon.

My plastic bucket has been stinking way too much!

Thanks!

LOL, well it depends on how serious on the 'don't care what it looks like' idea.

When I was growing up, my parents used an old milk jug with a hole cut in it. They cut a hole, a bit larger than a fist in the top on the opposite side from the handle. They put all the compost in there, used the handle to carry it to the pile, rinsed it with the hose on the way back in and just replaced it with a new one as it got funky.

My compost bin is just 20 feet or so outside the back door so I just use a dirty dish to collect items when I am cooking and then dump them as needed through out the day. I don't turn and mix my compost each time I add to it, I just dump and go, turning as I have time. The dish then just goes into the dishwasher when I come back in, so I don't have a smelly pile in the kitchen all day.

What every you get, remember to make sure there is an easy way to carry it, clean it and that it has a lid if you want to have it in the house for a few days at a time. A 'larger than gallon size' could get a bit heavy.

Take a look on Amazon. You can find containers that have charcoal filters to help prevent odor.

The brand I have is Norpro. I keep it behind the sink so I wanted something in stainless that wouldn't look too bad or smell. The filters really help. I also line it with BioBags. This works well for us...we empty the container at least once a day and only change the bag when necessary.

The Busch brand makes larger plastic containers that also have charcoal filters.

We've had great success keeping our compost bucket in the freezer. We just use a plastic box that use to have those dishwasher soap pods in it. No smell, it's out of sight, and you can stall as long as you want taking out to the big compost!

I was going to suggest the freezer also. The biodegradable bags really help to keep the bid clean, but they only fit one size. We've had one ceramic and one metal one over the years and broke both of them.

I've also heard of using tupperware like containers that have a very sturdy lid to keep the smells in.

I couldn't fit another thing in our freezer. LOL

I managed to scrub our bucket really well and got most of the smell out. I'm going to try dumping it more often and scrubbing it more often. I've only been dumping it every 10 days or so because it's a big Erector set bucket.

We've had great success keeping our compost bucket in the freezer. We just use a plastic box that use to have those dishwasher soap pods in it. No smell, it's out of sight, and you can stall as long as you want taking out to the big compost!

I was going to suggest the freezer also. The biodegradable bags really help to keep the bid clean, but they only fit one size. We've had one ceramic and one metal one over the years and broke both of them.

I've also heard of using tupperware like containers that have a very sturdy lid to keep the smells in.

Oh dear, I assumed you knew about the bags. Lee Valley sells them. We've used them for 4 years now, highly recommend. They're extremely inexpensive and durable enough.

Maybe your compost bin is too BIG? We empty ours every single day. It's the stainless pail that Lee Valley sells and the biodeg. compost bags from them. They're a good size to hold a day's worth of salad trimmings, fruit peels, that sort of thing, and boom it goes out. We don't normally even keep a lid on it. We dump every day. And because it's stainless, it washes up nicely.

When we bought ours they were having some kind of deal on b1g1, because I ended up with 2. Means I have a 2nd one to pull out when there's company and lots of table scraps. Oy, does that mean my cooking is bad? :D

I know -- you are right that we are not dumping often enough. Lazy of me. ;)

I'm going to try dumping every other day and see if that helps. I didn't realize it was a problem because it took the bucket many years to actually start stinking. LOL

I like being able to toss large watermelon rinds and such in as my husband eats so much watermelon this time of year. Same with corn husks, etc.

I'm not sure if the bags will fit, but I will look into it. I also saw where people used coffee cans and just recycled them when they started to stink. Hmmm

Oh dear, I assumed you knew about the bags. Lee Valley sells them. We've used them for 4 years now, highly recommend. They're extremely inexpensive and durable enough.

Maybe your compost bin is too BIG? We empty ours every single day. It's the stainless pail that Lee Valley sells and the biodeg. compost bags from them. They're a good size to hold a day's worth of salad trimmings, fruit peels, that sort of thing, and boom it goes out. We don't normally even keep a lid on it. We dump every day. And because it's stainless, it washes up nicely.

When we bought ours they were having some kind of deal on b1g1, because I ended up with 2. Means I have a 2nd one to pull out when there's company and lots of table scraps. Oy, does that mean my cooking is bad? :D

We just use whatever container is handy at the moment--typically some container that already needs to be recycled, like a big Earthbound Farms box--and dump it every day or every other day. Then we rinse it and drop it into the recycling as we go past. Sometimes we use a plasticware container (like a Reynolds-ware or Tupperware style) if we need something bigger, and it goes right into the dishwasher when we bring it in. I find that if I don't put a lid on it, it stays drier and doesn't get moist and yucky inside, even if 2-3 days go by. We haven't had a problem with fruit flies unless we let banana peels hang around :glare: Lesson learned there!