Menu

Disney - Where to Stay?

We're thinking about heading down to Disney during cooler weather. It's possible the kids would be able to swim, but probably unlikely (late November). In that case, which resort would you choose -- Port Orleans - French Quarter, Coronado Springs or The Carribbean?

My kid will be 11 and 13 by the time we take this trip if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Lisa

Coronado springs has a nice looking pool and reputably good food, but I'd probably opt for one of the Port Orleans resorts. They're more compact (less walking in bad weather) and offer a boat to Downtown Disney for variety. The giant masks in the French Quarter food court creep me out, though!

All three are nice.

Since November does offer swimming possibilities I would stay at Port Orleans. Nice pool and I think you can use the one at French Quarter too. There is at least one other pool at Port Orlean too.

Best water slide is probably Coronado Springs. But the Carribbean Beach has a new one I think. Also several small pools.

I'm no help. I do like the feel of Port Orleans best.:lol:

We've stayed at all those. In fact, we will be back at Coronado for a week in two weeks - which will be our second week there this summer. HOWEVER, we stay there in big part because it is free to us due to DH's job meetings held there. I LOVE walking along the lake at night and the slide is definitely the best on property. Port Orleans French Quarter has our favorite entertainment. We usually go over one evening each time we are there to hear Elliott Dyson (and I am NOT a fan of jazz but he entertains and talks with the kids and our evening just feels special. We like that MUCH better than Bob (?) at Port Orleans Riverside.) Every trip also HAS to include beignets at FQ. Riverside has our favorite pizza - although it probably is not that much different than any other pizza that you can get at most of the resorts including Pop. I love Caribbean beaches so I like the feel of CB. For me it depends on what state of remodeling they are in. It has gotten run down at times (as they all do) but when it is newly renovated it is very nice. I noticed when looking at room only reservations that you can book Animal Kingdom in the fall for about the price we usually pay at a moderate. We've stayed there before and it is fun.

Our "home" resort every time we go is Port Orleans Riverside. I just love the feel there. Walking the paths make you feel like you're out deep in the woods. And the pools are amazing!!! I think you'd be able to swim in November - right? I just googled and the average high is 78. We'd swim in that!

There are three bus stops there though. So that can add some time to travel. But, we never found the bus to be an inconvenience. I love not getting into my car at the end of a long day at the parks!

Have fun deciding!!!

We went to Disney Thanksgiving weekend last year for a soccer tournament. We stayed at Coronodo Springs, and my kids swam every day. It was not too cold. That said, I wasn't impressed with the resort. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. However, it was very convenient for the tournament and cheap.

I guess after googling online, I was thinking it would likely be too cold to swim, but if it's not, that would be great. The last couple of times we went to Disney, we went in February and it was freezing. When I was googling online, I read that it could go either way late November, so I guess I just assumed the worst.

Anyway, for some reason, I was thinking the Carribean would be where we'd want to be if it was swimming weather (just from the pics online), but it sounds like I'm wrong.

The room is important to me as far as it feeling fresh and clean and I thought I read last night that all the rooms in the French Quarter were recently renovated? We will have our car, so driving to the parks wouldn't be an issue for us.

So, I'm now thinking it's between PO Riverside and PO French Quarter. Does the fact that I want a nice room, and that we will have our car factor into one of those being better?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

I live in Orlando, and November is usually fine for swimming as long as the pool is heated. Often it is actually hot! January and February are the coldest months by far. We don't usually even start winter until january.

Good to know!

Thanks!

Lisa

The room is important to me as far as it feeling fresh and clean and I thought I read last night that all the rooms in the French Quarter were recently renovated? We will have our car, so driving to the parks wouldn't be an issue for us.

Lisa

From what I understand, all of the rooms at Riverside (not FQ) have been recently renovated. I would ask when booking to confirm.

When I was choosing a resort recently, I chose Riverside over French Quarter for the same reason (and Jennifer's recommendation). Then, when I found out that the newest resort, Art of Animation, would be open, I switched. I love new rooms!

Edited by besroma
Correcting my abbreviations. I totally butchered them..sorry!

I'd pass on Caribbean Beach....I'm just not a fan. We've stayed there and I didn't love it.

Never stayed at Coronado Springs, but we went over there for the afternoon one day and rented the Surrey bikes, played on the playground. The grounds there are very nice. Best playground on Disney property. Coronado has been there for a bit, but it is one of the newer resorts.

I've heard only good things about Port Orleans!

And you'll definitely be able to swim! November is usually warm down here. Even if it's not, the Disney pools are heated. My kids swam in early February last year at Disney (at night!)....I was chattering my teeth just watching them swim, bundled up in a hoodie and pants. But you could see the heat rising off the water. They were comfortable! We just made a mad dash for the room when they got out of the water.

Thank you, all! I found out on disboards that Jennifer is correct and Port Orleans Riverside just completed renovations, so I decided to book there. I felt like I was jumping off a cliff when I hit the "Book Now" button, though! We've been to Disney a number of times, but it's always been partially on the in-laws' tab and we've never stayed at the resort (which I've always wanted to do!). This will likely be our last trip since my kids are getting older so I want to make it an awesome one.

We got the dining plan, which I am really excited about. My son has food allergies and Disney is so great about accommodating him. It will be wonderful not to have to think of meals (once I've made my reservations, of course).

Lisa

Thank you, all! I found out on disboards that Jennifer is correct and Port Orleans Riverside just completed renovations, so I decided to book there. I felt like I was jumping off a cliff when I hit the "Book Now" button, though! We've been to Disney a number of times, but it's always been partially on the in-laws' tab and we've never stayed at the resort (which I've always wanted to do!). This will likely be our last trip since my kids are getting older so I want to make it an awesome one.

We got the dining plan, which I am really excited about. My son has food allergies and Disney is so great about accommodating him. It will be wonderful not to have to think of meals (once I've made my reservations, of course).

Lisa

The easy allergy dining is one of my favorite things about Disney. I have a gluten-free child. I cried the first meal when the chef came out to talk to her.

Lisa

YEAH!!! I hope you like it! We're staying there again in September! I can't wait to see the renovations.

The easy allergy dining is one of my favorite things about Disney. I have a gluten-free child. I cried the first meal when the chef came out to talk to her.

This is why we always go back to Disney! We started going there years ago due to ds' food allergies. And, when I think of vacations, this one is just the easiest! No worries about food!!! Try the cruise line next!! FUN!