Menu

From the "we can't make this up" file: DH woke with a bullseye rash on his arm.

:grouphug: I hope he gets the treatment he needs.

I am just becoming Lyme literate and was clueless about the discrepancies between different doctors and different sets of tests. I had no clue!

:grouphug: Let us know how it all turns out.

Well, at first, the doc prescribed one day of doxycycline for dh - and she told him why one day would be enough in her opinion. DH put up a little resistance but acquiesced and called me from the elevator bank telling me this.

I told him to do whatever he liked, but if it were me, I would insist on 21 days. I told him that when I went to the same practice with a bullseye on my arm, I left with 21 days and didn't even have to ask for it - the doctor looked at the mark and wrote the script. Same practice.

He just called and said tht he went back, spoke with the doctor he saw and he has a script for 21 days.

Sheesh! Doxy probably costs like less than .10 a capsule. It has no street value -- what is the big deal. How could one doctor prescribe one day and another prescribe 21 days?

So, at least he has what we think he needs. And he will also start the supplements that dd13 is taking.

:svengo:

He is at the doctor's office now.

Jean in Newcastle is correct: My family needs tick collars and the letter "L" on our forehead.:glare:

:blink::eek::cursing: I have all of these emotions on your behalf.

Tell your dh that my dh, currently beginning week two of his doxycyclene says, "Take your medicine. Your wife will kill you if you don't."

Yeah, I babysit every.single.dose. because my man is not good with meds or policing his own illnesses, rest periods, vitamins, etc. he just does.not.slow.down unless I force it.

:grouphug: I'm sorry!

Faith

:blink::eek::cursing: I have all of these emotions on your behalf.

Tell your dh that my dh, currently beginning week two of his doxycyclene says, "Take your medicine. Your wife will kill you if you don't."

Yeah, I babysit every.single.dose. because my man is not good with meds or policing his own illnesses, rest periods, vitamins, etc. he just does.not.slow.down unless I force it.

:grouphug: I'm sorry!

Faith

Thank you! I have kept your family and your dh in my thoughts and prayers.

My dh is the opposite - he is going to obsess about every little ache and pain now -- but at least he has the abx and i can keep an eye on him. Thankfully, I won't have to police him about the meds -- the most difficult thing was getting him to go back and insist on 21 days. THAT was huge for him. He comes from a culture that doesn't question medical professionals -- PFFFFT! I come from a family where we changed their diapers and fed them while they were in med school. They don't scare me.

Well, at first, the doc prescribed one day of doxycycline for dh - and she told him why one day would be enough in her opinion. DH put up a little resistance but acquiesced and called me from the elevator bank telling me this.

I told him to do whatever he liked, but if it were me, I would insist on 21 days. I told him that when I went to the same practice with a bullseye on my arm, I left with 21 days and didn't even have to ask for it - the doctor looked at the mark and wrote the script. Same practice.

He just called and said tht he went back, spoke with the doctor he saw and he has a script for 21 days.

Sheesh! Doxy probably costs like less than .10 a capsule. It has no street value -- what is the big deal. How could one doctor prescribe one day and another prescribe 21 days?

So, at least he has what we think he needs. And he will also start the supplements that dd13 is taking.

I am so glad he spoke up! Good for him and good for you! The last thing anyone needs is a husband with chronic Lymes disease. We all know what men are like when they're sick. Prayers have been said for you guys. :001_smile:

I am so glad he spoke up! Good for him and good for you! The last thing anyone needs is a husband with chronic Lymes disease. We all know what men are like when they're sick. Prayers have been said for you guys. :001_smile:

My dh is a terrible patient -- yikes.

I cannot tell you how much i appreciate the prayers.:grouphug:

He comes from a culture that doesn't question medical professionals -- PFFFFT! I come from a family where we changed their diapers and fed them while they were in med school. They don't scare me.

:lol: My mom won't question one solitary thing a medical person tells her. She's had so many very scary drug interactions that it isn't funny. She'd take horse manure in tablet form if they prescribed it even if another prescription bottle said, "Don't take horse manure with this medication!" She frustrates the livin' tar out of me!

Doctors hate and despise me. I may have been a people pleaser during my younger years, but not now! I question everything! I am 100% medically rebellious and being so saved my life after P was born too!

Dh was born to one of the world's most vigilant nurses in the history of pediatrics - ON THE JOB - but that level of tenacious care on shift apparently meant she didn't have anything left over for home. Dh never saw a doctor of any kind until he was 16 and passing out at school from Pleurisy and that was because the school nurse couldn't keep him upright long enough to figure he was safe to transport without an ambulance. Otherwise his mother probably would have just taken him home, plopped him in bed, and told him to take a lot of fluids and went back to work! It apparently escaped her notice that he'd gone through several bottles of cough medicine and was sleeping 16 -18 hrs. per day only rising to drag himself to school. She did say she admitted that it was odd he never seemed to pack a lunch or come to the table for dinner and though 6 ft. tall and only 129 lbs., and showed signs of losing weight, she just assumed everything would be fine. :001_huh: The ER doc was not kind to her about BEING A NURSING PROFESSOR and having a kid with a fever of 105 and losing weight rapidly in her house and NOT noticing.

Unfortunately, dh adopted her rather relaxed approach to health issues. Of course now that she's retired and 77, she is vigilant! :lol:

Seriously, I would be tempted to wear a tick collar. No joke - I'm still itching from dh's original "I found a tick" announcement! Even though I know he brought it with him from Alabama or Tennessee, I'm still searching everyone's bodies over - much to the dismay of the male offspring of the family - and the dog too! Poor dog may end up psycho before I relax. He's beginning to hate his twice daily body search.

Faith

Oh my goodness! Unbelievable! :grouphug::grouphug:

Praying for you all!

Oh no, I can't believe it's happening again to you guys. :grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, Mariann:grouphug:,

I'm so glad that your dh listened to you and got the meds he needs. Praying that he will recover quickly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Truly appreciate the prayers -- keep them coming. DD13 is beginning to have very slightly improved energy levels and this is sooner than I expected to see improvement.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:lol: My mom won't question one solitary thing a medical person tells her. She's had so many very scary drug interactions that it isn't funny. She'd take horse manure in tablet form if they prescribed it even if another prescription bottle said, "Don't take horse manure with this medication!" She frustrates the livin' tar out of me!

Faith

:lol::lol::lol: I know you totally are telling the truth! My inlaws are like that. If a prescription bottle said to cut off a limb every time you took a pill, they would -- no questions asked.:glare:

DD13 is beginning to have very slightly improved energy levels and this is sooner than I expected to see improvement.

Mariann, how long has your DD had Lyme, and what's she taking for it? My DS has been on doxy for 4 months now and I've seen very little improvement. We even increased the dose to 300 mg/day. He had Lyme for almost 2 yrs before he was diagnosed, though. I'm trying to figure out how long it should be before we see some real improvement, or if I need to change antibiotics.

This disease really really stinks. :(

Jackie

Mariann, how long has your DD had Lyme, and what's she taking for it? My DS has been on doxy for 4 months now and I've seen very little improvement. We even increased the dose to 300 mg/day. He had Lyme for almost 2 yrs before he was diagnosed, though. I'm trying to figure out how long it should be before we see some real improvement, or if I need to change antibiotics.

This disease really really stinks. :(

Jackie

Jackie -- Lyme becomes chronic when it goes that long undiagnosed. Treatment is going to take awhile and you want to see a LLMD - lyme literate MD.

Also, you will want to try feeding him gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy free.

There are also supplements that you will want him to take and a good probiotic.

Probiotic: Kids 'n Us Megaflora If you cannot find it by googling, let me know)

Minerals: I will send you the name and link of where to get these

Epsom salt baths - at least once a day to help with the pain and achiness.

Also, you will want to make ure he is getting his Omega 3s and everything else in good quality form. www.greenpastures.org is a good place to look for those.

I will write more later- i am running out the door. And, there is a 'lyme' special interest group here on WTM -- I cannot remember what we called it: 'The Tick Chicks' or something like that. We haven't posted on it in forever, but there might be some good info on there.

i will PM you later tonight.