Menu

What are your best frugal homeschooling tips?

edeemarie

Around our house we really try to pinch pennies, even when it comes to schooling. Dh and I are trying to pay off debt and I am wondering if anyone has any great tips on how to save money when it comes to homeschooling. This can include curriculum, teaching tools, supplies, whatever. Any helpful hints you have to save some extra money?

Try to buy nonconsumable materials that can be used with your other kids. Combine kids into the same subject when possible to save time and money. Use the library for supplemental reading and for trying out new resources. Look for materials free online (AO, Old Fashioned Education, Google Books). Check out resources like the Core Knowledge books, where one book can help you with mutliple subjects. Take advantage of free study guides from zoos, museums, parks, symphonies, etc. for supplemental materials. See if your local library offers classes or enrichment activities, and if they don't, ask them to start. Find out how and when your library decides which books to purchase and see if you can request titles.

Put in the 10 minutes upfront to understand free resources that rock with less-than-stellar sites such as MEP and KISS. Learn your library's ILL policy and use it...ruthlessly. Alter your educational philosophy to acknowledge that kids don't need $300 labs in elementary school. They can learn plenty with stuff you already have on hand.

Used public school textbooks without teacher manuals are dirt cheap. Use them as read alouds and independent reading. Don't stress over all the "missed" activities that you cannot do without a TM. Just reading is so much faster than completing a textbook. You will be able to read many of them, or supplement with all sorts of great library books and DVDs. I find that when just reading, it sometimes helps to use below grade resources. Have students work on sentence composition, handwriting, vocabulary, and drawing, in cheap notebooks.

Borrow WRTR 6th edition from your library. The handwriting instructions really can be used without a workbook.

My frugal tips:

1. Utilize the internet for free resources (if you search, you'll find TONS of threads about free resources). Our math, grammar, music and art appreciation are all free online. Likewise, many of our literature, nature study and history resources are free online. And this is excellent quality stuff we're using.

2. Utilize your library. I can't emphasize this enough. Our library is AWESOME and has revolutionized our homeschool.

3. We cancelled cable and use Netflix to watch tv/documentaries. Very low cost.

4. Shop smart. Stock up on school supplies right now when things are really cheap. My daughter is into art so we bought an easel and paint box 50% off at Michaels and used those as her big Christmas gifts last year. Watercolor supplies are exp[ensive so i just waited until they were on sale to buy. Saved a ton of money.

5. Swap books using Paperbackswap. Shop for books you absolutely have to have at Half Price Books, eBay or other places where you can score a deal. Buy books used whenever possible and then resell when you are finished using the books.

6. Think outside the box. My mom gave me a huge wall map of the world but I still wanted a globe. I found one for $3 online that was a blow up option. Works just fine for us. Think creatively.

We choose not to spend much on education so that we can travel a lot more and I'm VERY happy with this arrangement. Our school is wonderful and rich using free or very inexpensive resources. I couldn't be happier - truly.

Have fun!!!

Don't switch curriculum. Use what you buy unless it is absolutely horrible. It does get cheaper are you go. If you buy non-consumables, you can just pass things down. We use R & S English, so I'm only buying one new book a year, for my oldest kid. Also, I'm on my third kid using A Beka Phonics stuff. Even though they have a lot of consumables, I don't let them write in the readers, so we just use them over and over.

Guest crazymomof464
Put in the 10 minutes upfront to understand free resources that rock with less-than-stellar sites such as MEP and KISS. Learn your library's ILL policy and use it...ruthlessly. Alter your educational philosophy to acknowledge that kids don't need $300 labs in elementary school. They can learn plenty with stuff you already have on hand.

Sorry, new here. What is MEP, KISS and ILL? I tried looking these up on the abbreviations sticky thread but couldn't find them.

TIA:D

Guest crazymomof464
My frugal tips:

1. Utilize the internet for free resources (if you search, you'll find TONS of threads about free resources). Our math, grammar, music and art appreciation are all free online. Likewise, many of our literature, nature study and history resources are free online. And this is excellent quality stuff we're using.

Can you recommend the free online resource you use for grammar? I've used the same grammar workbook for 2 of my sons now and they both hated it. I hated it too! So don't want to re-use it for my daughter this year. Looking for recommendations. Thanks!

MEP is free (and quite good) math for elementary. They also have math for upper levels but it is not laid out in a way that would jive well with American style. It is based on Hungarian and Asian math methods.

KISS is free grammar (probably what pp was referring to as well) that you can do interactive online or use the workbooks. Take a few moments to search old posts and figure out how to use the site before you throw in the towel. Many people prefer KISS to other pay curricula.

ILL is interlibrary loan-your ticket to the world.

Many people like progressive phonics as well, though it's not my cup of tea.

Sorry, new here. What is MEP, KISS and ILL? I tried looking these up on the abbreviations sticky thread but couldn't find them.

TIA:D

MEP is a math program: http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/menus/resources.htm

KISS is a grammar program but I don't have a link. Sorry.

ILL is Interlibrary Loan (a service that allows a borrower at one library to borrow from another library).

You guys are fantastic! We just recently started both MEP and KISS, and since we have an iPad they really are free! I guess I just need to look beyond the bells and whistles, and trust that I can put resources together without it being all handed to me in a boxed curriculum. By the way, my grammar phobic son actually wanted to do 2 lessons in KISS today (unheard of when we were using R&S), and all of the kids beg to do their math with MEP- it works as great motivation to get the other things done:) I'll have to revisit the free curriculum thread and see if I can get some good ideas for science and history- I know I can do a lot with read alouds, but I would love to have something to "follow".

Edited by edeemarie

Yes, I love this thread. I do most of these suggestions.

*Buying older editions

*Paperback Swap (I love this site)

*Amazon has lots of books really cheap

*Watch for free shipping. Rainbow Resource is having a free shipping special on all orders of $5o and more until 9/30/12

*LIBRARY. You just can't stress this enough!!

*Free online resources. Starfall.com; Sheppardsoftware.com; MEP Math; Arcademics Online Games. The list is endless

*Get on the email list of bloggers who routinely make free printables. We are a notebooking family and Jimmie's Collage and the Notebooking Fairy are great for that and I get free notebooking pages that she makes in my email when she posts them.

*Currclick.com has so many great freebies. Get on their newsletter list and they post a new freebie every week.

*TeachersPayTeachers.com is a wonderful site. There are so many freebies for very specific topics. I have found so many great printable games and resources for math and language arts. Just type in a topic and choose the free option and you will get a nice selection of downloadable products made by teachers.

*Homeschoolclassifieds.com . I've done so much business on this site. I get great quality homeschooling materials for a fraction of the cost.

eBay!! I recently bought a classroom supply lot of HWOT workbooks, teacher books, and supplements. I'm taking the parts that I'll be using and will resell the rest, making the part I use free! I've bought several lots of books for next to nothing - a few dollars for a big box of "Let's Read and Find Out" science books, for example.

Thrift stores and garage sales can be great, too. I got a microscope for $5 and Snap Circuits for $1 recently!

Ask for a zoo or other museum membership for a holiday/birthday gift from family members. Our zoo membership was a gift to our family from Grandma, and it has reciprocal admission to lots of other museums.

There is also the Baltimore Curriculum - totally free.

There are also things that are inexpensive and give you a lot of bang for your buck in terms of saving you a lot of time in pulling free things off the internet or are very well liked or effective for their price; how to teach spelling, natural speller, phonics pathways (my library has 2 copies!), miquon, the writer's jungle (if purchased on hsbc), comprehensive composition, building foundations of scientific understanding...hmm that's all I can think of atm but I'm sure there are many more.

-- I think the most savings comes from NOT going to homeschool conferences. They make me doubt myself and it turns out that doubting myself is a pretty expensive activity.

It costs up front but having a good copier helps. I L.O.V.E my printer. When we decide on cost of copying, we go by the library standard in my area of 10 cents per page for black and white. We use it for a lot of stuff.

Having a pantry/freezer stocked with easy-to-prepare suppers. Sometimes we school out or it's just a hard day or whatever and I just.do.not.feel.like.cooking.today. It helps me so much to have frozen sauce in the freezer, a pkg of spaghetti in the pantry, and a wedge of cheese to go along. This saves us a lot by keeping me from being too tired to cook (but not being too tired to go out.:glare:) I know this seems like a kitchen frugal but I think of it as a school frugal b/c it's usually school or school related outings that really wipe me out.

Put a responsible person -- in our house this is not me! -- in charge of getting all library materials back on time. Daddy does this for us.

I don't buy any more binders, not only because they are bulky and ugly, but I would rather put that money into something else. I now only use binder rings and cardstock as the front/back covers.

I like Syllie's phrase, "using your library ruthlessly."

If I weren't such a math addict, I would happily use MEP because many of the problems in there are just as challenging as the problems you would find in pricey books.

I use vintage Latin readers and would use vintage Latin grammar books if I had to.

And, KISS may be free, but people use it here because it's an excellent program.

Science books are almost exclusively from the library.

The tips here have been great so I won't repeat them. I don't think I saw this one. IF you use free curriculum websites and you choose to print books or worksheets, make sure you use a LASER printer. And use cheap toner refills like those that can be found on ebay and places like tonerrefillkits.com . I have an inexpensive Brother and have refilled the cartridge several times. It has served me well.

I love that idea of frozen meals and it makes so much sense. We try to school hard for 4 days so we can have the 5th day off, and having a meal at least semi-prepared on those days would be fantastic- great tip:)

I'm glad you like this idea and I hope it helps you! A couple of ways I manage this:

I know this may seem overwhelming but I can and freeze all year long. That does NOT mean that I'm doing it all day, every day, every week, every month, though. I hit it hard during summer and for that reason we have easy-peasy veggie plates all year long: add a protein and set. I also spend a weekend in winter canning beans. This is a life saver. For some reason I'm the kind of person who puts on a pot of beans and then lets it run dry and burn b/c I got sidetracked OR I forget to put them in the crockpot and, well, now we have to eat out. Canning them in winter, when nothing else is really out there, is perfect. Also, we love chickpeas in our soups/stews and we'll use half a quart and save half a quart. Add garlic, tahini, lemon, eeoo, and use my immersion blender and, voila!, hummus! Some pita or crackers and veggies. easy again.

Also, I double batch and freeze as much as I can. It isn't much more trouble (for a vegetarian family of three, anyway) to make a doule stew or double batch of sauce and freeze one.

I <3 a full pantry and it's not much work!

eta: EXCEPT in summer!!!

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom

Some things we have done to cut costs:

Focus on the three R's during K-4; the rest is just gravy. Add in those goodies as you have time or the budget allows. A second grader will grow up to be a happy and able adult even if he never has the $100 music/art appreciation course.

It is easy to do a lot of history/science/art/etc. using a bare bones outline (think those lists of topics/people to cover in WTM) and reading, reading, reading, talking, talking, talking, and THEN writing and/or drawing. Let your children make connections--you don't have to have a pretty (and pricey) plan that does it all for them.

Use the library a LOT, and don't be afraid to re-read books. That read-aloud from two years ago can become the book your child now reads on his own. Give you and your child the chance to interact with a book in different ways; they will pick up different aspects of the book as they mature. You don't NEED to have a pile of new books for every year. Shop your shelves (or the shelves at the library).

If you are unsure about adding in vintage/free stuff from online, just use it as review or an occasional supplement to your "normal" stuff. We have stretched out our Latin course by adding in a vintage text for extra translation a couple times a week.

Older TM's can be found very cheaply. One year we did grammar with an older Abeka TM found at Goodwill for 99 cents. We copied stuff on the whiteboard or in a notebook. It worked very well.

I have mulitple lap sized whiteboards, and get lots of mileage out of them. We also use page protectors (side loading ones from Staples) and dry/wet erase markers for lots of our workbooks.

One of the biggest things that has cut down on cost and stress for me: slow down. You do not have to finish ___ book in one year. Your child may not need the next level of math, but more time to absorb last year's math. You do not have to cram your history into a four year cycle if making it all fit stresses you out. Take more time to really use what you have available to you.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
added link