Menu

What do you know about Prednazone? Neuronin? Pain relief? Helllppp!

I have taken Prednisone, along with several other things, and it made a huge difference in the symptoms I was having. It is a steroid, like Cortisol but much stronger. If you take it too long (like for 2 weeks or more, I think) it can cause bone and other problems.

Prednisone can be a wonder drug for some things, but unfortunately there can be serious side effects. I sometimes have to take it for asthma flare ups. I tend to become manic and that is followed by mild depression. Some people experience weight gain.

I've taken prednisone off and on throughout the years for asthma. While it does an amazing job in the short term, the long term consequences are too much for me. If I stay on it for more than a couple of weeks I end up gaining weight, especially in my face. It can weaken the immune system and make you more susceptible to infection. Some people have severe mood reactions to it.

I've mostly known people to use neurontin in concert with other medications.

What works (such as it is) for my mother was an opiate-based protocol. Oxycontin was a life-saver, because instead of dosing herself every four hours, she takes it twice a day and sleeps through the night. Then she has hydromorphone for break-through pain.

My son takes 20 mg prednisone daily for muscular dystrophy. I wouldn't worry too much about taking it for a few weeks, but the are definitely side effects to taking it long-term . . .mainly weight gain, mood swings, and nose bleeds for Ds. He also takes a calcium and vitamin D supplement to counteract the effects of the drug. He's been on prednisone for almost five years.

DH has used prednisone to treat poison ivy; he's highly allergic to it, and prednisone jump-starts the healing process a lot. They also gave DD prednisone when she had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting, again, to give her body a jump on healing. In both cases, they had to taper the doses down as they ended it.

I do think I read that it can cause mood swings and irritability, but if you need it, that's a small price to pay.

Edited by happypamama

I'm guessing you are dealing with some type of nerve-related pain, since you mentioned Neurontin? :group hug:

If so, when Neurontin stopped working for my neuropathy (this was years ago), I tried a round or two of Topamax. It helped more than the Neurontin. I finally went to Cymbalta for the nerve pain, and had the best results that way (yes, Cymbalta is also used for neuropathy). It's been a few years, but I remember that there were a few other options mentioned as possibilities, too. B-12 injections helped a bit, as well, though it took time to feel the effects.

Oh, and if the prednisone is for reducing inflammation, you might consider supplementing that with some inflammation reduction measures on your own. There are lots of supplements to help with that, too many to throw out here.

Feel better soon!