Menu

How will I ever clean this mess up?

Saturday we had company and as I was getting a big lasagna out of the oven the container collapsed and spilled half of it all over the bottom part.

Yesterday I pretended it didn't happen but I have to face up to it today as dh was not receptive to just buying a new stove.

Do I scrape and wash? Shop vac? Let the cats in there????

Fortunately I always over cook, so I had another casserole too and there was plenty to go around.

Ugh.

Scrape and wash the best you can. Is it a self cleaning oven?

I agree. Even if it's self-cleaning, you want to scrape as much out as possible, or you end up with a lovely fire blazing on the other side of a locked oven door.

Eta: since it's self cleaning, scrape out the big stuff, self-clean, then shop vac.

Uh oh.

Yes, now we have a vivid picture of Remuda mom attacking her oven with a fire extinguisher.

I wouldn't use a shop vac. All of that food will get stuck in the hose and then spoil. :ack2:

During the self-clean cycle, your oven will get very, very hot. I'm just warning you so you don't think it's unusual when it happens. You definitely will want to get as much of the food out prior to self-cleaning. The earlier poster wasn't exaggerating when she said food chunks would catch on fire.

I stand behind the scrape and wash and then run your self cleaning cycle. Or 2.

Self cleaning cycle is designed to run at extremely high temps and 'burn off' anything caked on inside. So it will smoke, it will stink, and you may see flames behind the oven door. This is normal. It is likely to set off your smoke detectors as well. I usually set mine and go outside for awhile. It makes the house SO HOT. Also, the self cleaning cycle won't run unless your oven door is latched/locked shut. It's a long cycle. I think mine runs 4 hours.

Def time to learn how to use the self clean option.

I don't want to even think about what a gong show that would be to clean by hand.

Then again, I haven't cleaned an oven in 4 yrs or so.

One of the very few good things about being 1 armed...you just can't manage it. It's one of Wolf's favourite jobs now. :tongue_smilie:

Well I scraped, wiped and ran. Figured out the cleaning thing. The door is locked so I guess something is happening.

The kids keep hollering "Someone is burning something!!" from various parts of the house. I thought they would have been so used to my cooking they wouldn't notice.

Well I scraped, wiped and ran. Figured out the cleaning thing. The door is locked so I guess something is happening.

The kids keep hollering "Someone is burning something!!" from various parts of the house. I thought they would have been so used to my cooking they wouldn't notice.

The last time I used the self cleaning thing on my oven, the children CRAWLED around on the floor complaining about the smoke!! ( example from some care bear safety video) Drama queens!!

Edited by Lara in Colo

Aha! Acrid burning smell means it's working!

As a point of clarity, I meant shop vac the ashes after the self-clean cycle, not the food.

It's noon somewhere. Even if that somewhere is in the middle of the Atlantic righ now. ;)

You need to get the big stuff off. The oven will still probably smoke so open windows. It's usually a setting on the stove. You just turn it on.

If it's not self cleaning you can buy some oven cleaner. There are directions on the can.

I had a Pyrex dish explode in my oven. There was glass everywhere!

Yes, this! That sucks!!

Don't worry. Self cleaning ovens are a gift from above.

Scrape all big pieces out and even wash over it to get the crumbs from the scraping. Then take out your instructions and set the oven to self-clean.

Open all windows because it will smoke. My oven had 2 - 3 or 4 hour clean cycles. 4 hours was reserved for the largest messes. It may look bad but be only a 2 or 3 hour deal.

The door of your oven will lock during that time so nobody can accidentally open it and incinerate themselves.

When the show is over, all you have left in the oven is an ash like substance - whitish which wipes clean out.

:lol:

You can clean the hose.

Although yeah I tend to agree. I didn't have much of a choice because I was dealing with shards of broken glass.

That is the absolute worse thing that has happened to me to date, I swear. And it was dessert. I don't know which part was worse!