Menu

Convention in The Woodlands, TX

We are! I'm really looking forward to it. I wish I could clone myself so I could sit in more of the workshops. :D

Last year I drove up there for a few hours just to meet up with some online friends. I could *never* have anticipated that just a few short months later I'd be one of the crowd!

We are! :seeya:

I am debating taking a book for SWB to autograph. Is that too odd? I had Gatto sign one of his books at a convention and felt like a giggly teenager. :tongue_smilie:

If I do take a SWB book, which one?

First edition or third edition WTM

Well educated mind

Story of the world: Vol 1, 2, 3 or 4

WWS

FLL

:lol:

DS is hating WWS. (He actually hates all writing, so it is nothing personal.) I told him we were going to go meet the author. He wasn't amused. :lol:

We are! :seeya:

I am debating taking a book for SWB to autograph. Is that too odd? I had Gatto sign one of his books at a convention and felt like a giggly teenager. :tongue_smilie:

If I do take a SWB book, which one?

First edition or third edition WTM

Well educated mind

Story of the world: Vol 1, 2, 3 or 4

WWS

FLL

:lol:

DS is hating WWS. (He actually hates all writing, so it is nothing personal.) I told him we were going to go meet the author. He wasn't amused. :lol:

No, I don't think it's odd at all. I suspect she'll get a lot of those requests.

I'm skipping it this year. I have had the pleasure of hearing SWB speak a few times in the past, so I'm not as enthusiastic about that aspect of it as I would have been if it were my first time hearing her.

Is SWB a good speaker? There's only one of her sessions that I'm actually planning to attend, but mostly that's because the others conflict with other speakers that are more applicable to our needs.

Yes, I will be there to touch the shiny curriculum and hear SWB. She is scheduled to talk on literature analysis, so I am excited. ;)

I am not coming until late friday though, because dd has to run in the Jr. Olympics. The whole family wants to come and browse the vendor hall (since we will be up there) but after the expense in the Jr. O's I will be going solo.

Maybe that is better...

Maybe not....I can always talk dh into spending more when he can see it to! :D

I'm going! The SETHSA conference last year was my first conference ever. I bought SWBs Ancient History book and asked her to sign it. I own everything else it seems, but didn't think to bring anything. She was very gracious and I was probably very comical "I'm a big fan..." Oh boy, embarrassing, but I think she must hear that from time to time.

She's a great speaker. My oldest was entering high school and she put it all into perspective. This year I'm going to listen to her lit analysis workshop. I could use a bit more help/direction there.

I'm not as I need to save my vacation time for after the baby comes; but, dh will be there. He actually asked if anyone from the forums would be there. I told him he should wear a bee hive pin and he (not so graciously) declined. I then recommended he wear his kilt; but, he said it didn't fit any more.

So, if you see a handsome man hanging about SWB's lectures without a wife-like companion, that'll probably be him.

I wish I could go!!! All 4 of my kids are competing in a Tae Kwon Do tournament this weekend.

Suzanne: my daughter is also having a rough time sitting down with WWS. She's able to do the writing. There's just something daunting about opening up that workbook and her face looks like :eek: . Maybe WWS seems dry to some kids? I'm impressed with how organized it is, though.

SWB is an awesome speaker. I saw her years ago at a HEAV convention when we used to live in Virginia. At that point, my children were just starting grammar stage. They are now going into 10th & 8th grades, so I am looking forward to hearing her lecture about high school.

I am also planning to attend Literary Analysis on Friday evening. Hopefully, we can all meet.

KINSA:

I also live in San Antonio. Do you ever do anything with FEAST or Haven? PM me.

SWB is an awesome speaker. I saw her years ago at a HEAV convention when we used to live in Virginia. At that point, my children were just starting grammar stage. They are now going into 10th & 8th grades, so I am looking forward to hearing her lecture about high school.

I am also planning to attend Literary Analysis on Friday evening. Hopefully, we can all meet.

KINSA:

I also live in San Antonio. Do you ever do anything with FEAST or Haven? PM me.

I live in Houston but went to the FEAST conference last year and really enjoyed it.

I don't want to go to the convention, but can we have a WTM meet up for those of us in the area sometime?

Come oooooooon....we can do one there!

I totally dropped the ball on the meet-up last fall. :tongue_smilie:

Come oooooooon....we can do one there!

I totally dropped the ball on the meet-up last fall. :tongue_smilie:

I say we do a meetup at the convention but we should *definitely* do a meetup for local peeps. It'd be nice to meet some other homeschool moms outside our local group.

My only problem is that I also work FT during normal business hours.

We aren't moving to the Woodlands area till January. I am looking forward to having an annual Homeschool conference so close to me!

I just wanted to say I just saw SWB speak in Long Beach back in May, and she was fabulous! Definitely worth a trip to go hear her....especially since I understand she will be taking a break from speaking engagements for a while. I hope you all will post about your experiences there this year....I am very interested to hear!

Edited by Singingmom