Menu

Help me choose the best way to integrate high school science!

How would you integrate science in high school using THESE programs  

1. 1. How would you integrate science in high school using THESE programs

• Option 1 (options listed in thread)
    • Option 2 (options listed in thread)
    • Option 3 (options listed in thread)
    • other-- how else would you integrate using Apologia and DIVE with BJU Textbooks

OK! Help me think the best way to integrate high school science beyond 9th grade. I have 9th grade set with DIVE ICP and Apologia Biology (plus extra resources of course but those are my spines). She wants to go into the veterinary field so it is biology heavy.

So help me pick our route!

OPTION 1:

10th grade: DIVE Biology (BJU Textbook), Apologia Chemistry, Apologia Physics

11th grade DIVE Chemistry (BJU Textbook), Apologia Advanced Biology

12th grade: DIVE Physics, Advanced Chemistry, Marine Biology

OPTION 2:

10th grade: DIVE Chemistry, Apologia Advanced Biology

11th grade: DIVE Physics, Apologia Advanced Chemistry, Apologia Marine Biology

12th grade: Apoloia Advanced Physics

OPTION 3:

11th grade: Apologia Advanced Chemistry, Apologia Marine Biology

12th grade: DIVE Physics with BJU Textbook

I do not understand your proposed scheme. Do you want to cover two and three complete science texts each year? How will you find the time?

She has been using multiple texts a year for a few years. She is used to it. She loves doing integrated science. She will do about 2 hours per text a week 5 days a week. We school year round and get well over the needed time so it works. She is a science nut!

What are your cc options? I would consider that route before trying to do so much at home. What about math skills, that will be an issue for chem and physics. Also what will she be giving up to focus this much onscience? Are her writing skills up to the level they need?

I am sure those with more experience will chime in, but what about ap level. Does this schedule prepare for that. What pre vet programs requirements exist for the school she is considering?

For the upper level, especially if she's thinking of a bio field, I'd add an AP bio text like Campbell's. Apologia's "Advanced" Biology is just a human body supplement; it's not a full bio course. What about microbiology and biochem (which are most of what's in advanced bio courses). I don't see a full bio course listed anywhere except on your first option - and I think that's an intro course, not AP level?

Also, rather than having her try to complete multiple curricula per year, maybe pick one and let her do supplementary reading with living books and watch documentaries for the other subjects that year?

For the upper level, especially if she's thinking of a bio field, I'd add an AP bio text like Campbell's. Apologia's "Advanced" Biology is just a human body supplement; it's not a full bio course. What about microbiology and biochem (which are most of what's in advanced bio courses). I don't see a full bio course listed anywhere except on your first option - and I think that's an intro course, not AP level?

Also, rather than having her try to complete multiple curricula per year, maybe pick one and let her do supplementary reading with living books and watch documentaries for the other subjects that year?

DIVE lists BJU as an AP equivalent option depending on which edition of the text you choose---for Biology, I haven't done my homework on their other science options---yet.

NOT trying to discourage you from doing whatever you think is best for your student, but here are my thoughts... In your shoes I would consider some other factors because, if you are talking Vet school, that is a very competitive area.

Coverage/time - To me covering that many texts, mostly on the same level, would not be a good use of time. And the labs do take a lot.of.time!

and continuing on that note...Depth vs. Breadth - What about AP/upper level? Like a PP said, this is where a decision needs to be made. I would rather do one intro level course (I would choose BJU over Apologia, hands down) and 1 really deep AP/college level text (I like Campbell's) than 3 lower level texts. Campbell's big bio book covers much more than Apologia Advanced does (not even comparable, really). Imho, an AP score of 5 will look better on STEM student's transcript than 3 lower level texts. Or maybe use a CC class, if available.

Math/time - the time needed for math increased greatly in high school. I see that she is using TT; I personally would consider a more rigorous text for a STEM major but no matter WHAT you use, it is still a much greater time commitment.

Everything else/time - Really, the time needed for everything increases... A student who wants a STEM path needs to be competitive in every area, not just science. Reading/writing/math - it's all gotta happen. My middle dd, currently STEM oriented, fights this reality daily, lol.

A lot of ladies have posted the paths their science kids have taken and those really helped me. Don't get me wrong, you can double up, block schedule, do whatever it takes to get through however many texts you want in a year. I would just make sure that I was getting the most bang for my buck! :D

hth,

Georgia

OK! Help me think the best way to integrate high school science beyond 9th grade. I have 9th grade set with DIVE ICP and Apologia Biology (plus extra resources of course but those are my spines). She wants to go into the veterinary field so it is biology heavy.

So help me pick our route!

OPTION 1:

10th grade: DIVE Biology (BJU Textbook), Apologia Chemistry, Apologia Physics

11th grade DIVE Chemistry (BJU Textbook), Apologia Advanced Biology

12th grade: DIVE Physics, Advanced Chemistry, Marine Biology

OPTION 2:

11th grade: DIVE Physics, Apologia Advanced Chemistry, Apologia Marine Biology

12th grade: Apoloia Advanced Physics

OPTION 3:

11th grade: Apologia Advanced Chemistry, Apologia Marine Biology

12th grade: DIVE Physics with BJU Textbook

I think I would go with option 2. It seems like the least duplication of material to me. I would also consider dual enrollment for her 11th/12th grade years, if that is an option for you. Getting her into college level science courses seems like it would do her the most good.

I voted other. Skip Apologia basic level courses, there is nothing covered in these that won't be covered in DIVE/BJU. Use the Dive sciences integrated over either 2 or 3 years, I would choose 3. If you want to add in Apologia Advance Biology, do it after DIVE biology (maybe 11th), not because it is more advanced, but because it is a human anatomy supplement to biology. You can add marine biology anywhere you want :).

I voted other. Skip Apologia basic level courses, there is nothing covered in these that won't be covered in DIVE/BJU. Use the Dive sciences integrated over either 2 or 3 years, I would choose 3. If you want to add in Apologia Advance Biology, do it after DIVE biology (maybe 11th), not because it is more advanced, but because it is a human anatomy supplement to biology. You can add marine biology anywhere you want :).

I think this would sound better, and quite honestly I'd skip the human body and let her do an introductory animal science course instead if she's aimed at veterinary school.

I want to do fully integrated high school science. I want to do DIVE for biology, chemistry and physics (9th is ICP)for rigor probably with BJU textbooks) but I still want her to integrate the other disciplines. I am just trying to find a good way to accomplish this.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. To me integrated science doesn't mean completing 2-3 entire curriculum each year, some of which duplicate each other, quite heavily.

I have heard it used as either as a truly integrated course (we have done this) using a text that covers many disciplines in science, i.e. bio/chem/earth/physics. etc. and works them into the same course.

The other way I have heard it used is where you run multiple strands of science in the same year (done this too), whether by blocking them or doing them at the same time at a slower pace with more depth or different coverage each year. But usually this did not mean doing complete curriculum. But what do I know??? :D

Anyway, I would pick option 3. That way you get:

1 Phys Sci and 1 Physics

1 General Bio, 1 Anatomy, 1 Marine Bio

2 Chemistry

Also it leaves senior year with more time open for other stuff and has less Apologia.

hth,

Georgia

My oldest son is a senior Physics major at the university looking at graduate schools for his PhD, and my daughter is a sophomore in mechanical engineering - so I am very familiar with STEM preparation. It's very important that you have a challenging math curriculum, and TT is not it. Saxon works but is not the best. As a previous poster stated, college prep math through pre-calculus will take time & consistency.

Doing both DIVE Physics & Apologia Physics is redundant - same with DIVE Chemistry & Apologia Chemistry - same with DIVE Biology & Apologia Biology. Basicly both curriculums are college prep first-year programs. And if you do some lab experimentation, which for pre-Vet you should, this will take more time. High school science is not the same as earlier grades and takes a lot more time if done well.

If you want to have some integration, and your daughter is the science nut you state, then something like this might work:

10th: (DIVE OR Apologia Chemistry) AND Apologia Marine Biology(for fun!)

11th: (DIVE OR Apologia Physics) AND Apologia Advanced Biology (for anatomy)

12th: Some AP Science (Apologia Advanced Chem OR Apologia Advanced Physics OR AP Biology using Campbell's)

That would keep her busy - not repeat anything - and give her more than enough preparation. And doing well on an AP science establishes academic rigor.