Menu

Help with boys' wedding attire?

What do teenage and 8-9yo boys wear to weddings now? :tongue_smilie:

The toddler I can handle; he'll turn 2 on the wedding day and could probably get away with a nice pair of shorts and a button down.

I told the teen he's old enough to be expected to dress like his father: long slacks, button down, possibly a tie. He suggested pinstriped shorts with a solid, short sleeve button down instead.

I just took inventory of their suitable dress clothes, and instantly became thankful I started a month early. Neither own a pair of long pants without baggy cargo pockets that actually cover their ankles, or a button-down that doesn't have something like a jolly roger or McQueen on it. They are desert rats who don't have much occasion for formal attire.

If it matters, the wedding will be in a small town on the side of a mountain in Colorado, in early September, and the venue has the word ranch in it's title.

I think the teen should dress to match the formality of his father.

I put my DS in a dressy pair of khakis and a nice polo for my cousin's wedding and also for his twin cousins' baptism. Both times it was too warm for a long-sleeved dress shirt. Nobody expects a little kid to dress up super-fancy, so it was fine.

Nice slacks (at least Dockers), and preferably a button down shirt. A tie and a sweater vest would dress things up without investing in a sportcoat/jacket that an 8 year old might not wear again, and may well be appreciated in Colorado in September. My s-i-l was married in Breckinridge on Labor Day weekend, and I was glad that I'd opted for sweaters for the older dc. Little guy was in the wedding in a tux.

With the teen, I'd probably compromise and let him have the short sleeves, but have him wear slacks ... he'll probably have natural consequences from the temperature that way, though.

I would have him match his father. If it is a sister or brother getting married, then tuxes are still traditional, but for other relatives or friends nice Sunday attire is what I have seen. Of course we are in Texas, and it might be different where you are. Around here traditional attire still reigns. :001_smile:

In my world- anything that doesn't stain. So depending on the wedding, dark nice jeans to black dockers/dress pants. I like sweater vest on little boys. Can you google the venue to see what it is like? If it is a true ranch, I would go with nice dark jeans, blue dress shirts and a tie. Maybe even a pair of cowboy boots on the little one.

In our family, my ds would wear a tuxedo or a nice suit, depending on whether or not the event was black tie -- and that dress code would be whether he was 4 or 14.

No one would ever consider wearing anything at all casual -- not even slacks and a jacket. A suit would be the absolute minimum.

I have no idea about the ranch thing, but if I had any doubt, I'd just call and ask about the dress code. I'd rather know for sure than take a chance on guessing wrong.

The later the wedding/reception are the more formal the attire. That said, I've never been to a wedding at a ranch, so who knows?

You are correct in that the teen should match his dad. The 8-9 year old boys can be a tad more casual.

We just had my IL's black tie 40th wedding anniversary party. DH wore a tux, so I put the boys in black pants, white button down shirt, and black bow tie. They looked like little waiters :lol:

See, and it just varies so much, from family to family. A few years ago, at my sister's wedding, which was by no means casual, I had all my boys wearing dress slacks, button shirts, and ties...and so many of the grooms family, were in casual, jeans, etc...I especially noticed the young boys, because my children were by far the most dressed up.

There really are no easy answers to that question. Recently I have seen men wear mostly dress slacks and button down shirts, however, a nice polo is common as well. Jackets hardly exist anymore and I think we live a pretty conservative area. I am actually quite surprised at how casual folks dressed to come to my son's weddings several years back.

I would try to figure out what the ranch part of the invite would mean. I would probably go with a nice polo and a dress jeans if it seems like it will be more casual, but my first choice would be dress polo and dress slacks.

Time of day would factor into that as well. To me an eveningn wedding means slightly more formal.

See, and it just varies so much, from family to family. A few years ago, at my sister's wedding, which was by no means casual, I had all my boys wearing dress slacks, button shirts, and ties...and so many of the grooms family, were in casual, jeans, etc...I especially noticed the young boys, because my children were by far the most dressed up.

:iagree:

I have been surprised recently by the casual attire worn to weddings and funerals. I think you have a lot of leeway, especially for the kids' clothing. Hope you all have a great time!

Here, both the teen and eight year old would wear khakis, a long sleeve button down, with a tie and navy blazer. (probably a bow tie) or, they could wear a seersucker suit. The toddler would most definitely wear a smocked Jon Jon with knee socks and white saddle shoes.

I agree with calling the ranch, but I would err on the side of more formal.

What do teenage and 8-9yo boys wear to weddings now? :tongue_smilie:

The toddler I can handle; he'll turn 2 on the wedding day and could probably get away with a nice pair of shorts and a button down.

I told the teen he's old enough to be expected to dress like his father: long slacks, button down, possibly a tie. He suggested pinstriped shorts with a solid, short sleeve button down instead.

I just took inventory of their suitable dress clothes, and instantly became thankful I started a month early. Neither own a pair of long pants without baggy cargo pockets that actually cover their ankles, or a button-down that doesn't have something like a jolly roger or McQueen on it. They are desert rats who don't have much occasion for formal attire.

If it matters, the wedding will be in a small town on the side of a mountain in Colorado, in early September, and the venue has the word ranch in it's title.

It is never improper to dress up for a wedding, regardless of one's age or the location of the wedding.

ITA that the teen should dress like his father. It's a good lesson for him, too.

Teen dresses like dad - check

Waiters! How cute. :lol:

The groom is DH's nephew.

Sunday attire here in the Phoenix area is cool and comfortable; shorts are normal for any age or gender. It's probably not a good comparison for an out of state wedding. :001_smile:

JonJons? Really?? I don't remember ever seeing those sold in toddler sizes around here. My little guy is big for his age. He pretty much outgrew anything babyish looking by his first birthday. He's filled out 3t for awhile now, but he's not quite tall enough for most 4t.

I think tuxes would be too formal, considering this side of the family, but I will call to make sure. On the flip side I don't really want to send my boys in jeans, either. Shining up will be good for them.

Shopping list

long dressy pants, nice button downs, ties that don't have an X-Men on them, and possibly jackets, or a perhaps a sweater vest for middle boy

Toddler boy: I already have the fabric to make him a dressy light-green button-down with a black vest, and I'll see what I can do about dressy pants for him too.

Thank you for all the comments. They've been helpful. :001_smile:

Now to find dressy pants with a 30"+ inseam and a 26" waist...

• 1 month later...