Menu

Hershey Park/Philadelphia Vacation

I'm trying to plan a short vacation to Hershey Park and Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, we'd like to go to the Franklin Institute and the Philadelphia Mint and in Hershey, of course, we want to hit the amusement park. Is there anything else we'd want to do while in Hershey? I'm trying to figure if we should stay in a hotel near Hershey or Philly or somewhere in between.

Thanks!

Lisa

The new Hershey Museum is interesting. Two hours tops, I think. The Chocolate Factory which you could combine with the park. The park also has a zoo connected which you can do separately but comes with park admission ( I think). Hershey Gardens are nice and they have a really neat children's area with a butterfly house. Just a couple of things off of the top of my head. We live about 40 minutes from Hershey but don't visit all that often, it's $$:) Except for the Chocolate Factory, that's free.

We were there recently. The zoo is included in Hershey admission and though small, it is a really nice zoo. The prairie dogs were very entertaining! We weren't going to stop in but were glad we did.

We stayed in Harrisburg (we live near Philly) and visited the state capitol. It is lovely and the tour was interesting.

We also spent a day in Gettysburg. Don't know if that is something on your radar at all, but if so, it is worth a day. Not fun in the sense that Hershey Park is fun, but interesting and worthwhile.

Have a great trip!

In Harrisburg, there's the State Museum (from the museum website: The State Museum will inaugurate free-admission summer hours between 11 am & 1:30 pm starting on Friday, June 15 and continuing every Friday through August 31.) and the Capitol Building, and when we were there on a recent trip, we took a riverboat ride on the Pride of the Susquehanna. You could get to the Philly area via Lancaster, with Dutch Wonderland on the way if you like amusement parks.

Thanks for all the great ideas. It sounds like we'd probably want to be in Hershey for 2 days and then Philadelphia for 2 days. I wasn't sure if there was more than one day of things for us to do in Hershey, so that is good to know!

Lisa

indian echo cavern 10 minutes from hershey.

in philiy?? too much to list!! betty ross house, the constitution center, liberty bell. do you do junior ranger programs? Liberty park is one. free but get tickets early.

the mint is closed on weekends I think. ben franklin has something in philly, we haven't done it yet.

RObin in NJ

While in Philly, make sure you take time to have a meal at Reading Terminal Market. Amazing food of all kinds, customers from all walks of life. Pick up a map at the entrance and browse all of the stalls before making your food choices - don't just take the first thing that looks good!

We love the smoothies from Four Seasons, the baked goods from Flying Monkey, Thanksgiving-style turkey sandwiches from The Original Turkey, Thai food, Greek food, Middle Eastern food, vegetarian food, and top it all off with ice cream from Bassett's. Make sure you watch the Pennsylvania Dutch girls make the cinnamon rolls at Beiler's, and pick up some shoofly pie! (I'd skip the sushi. It's better elsewhere.)

There is discounted parking in the garage across the street - check the web site for details.

Longwood Gardens is our favorite!!!

This summer they have a special "Light Exhibit" ....viewed best after dusk.

They are not usually open in the evenings...so, this is a special summer event.

We have seen this exhibit twice so far & hope to see it a few more times before it closes!!

My kiddos think it feels like walking in a set for the Narnia movie!

Oh....& of course the gardens,waterfall, water shows are excellent!!

Your children will really enjoy the 3 huge tree houses to climb & play inside....one is even decorate with lights for the exhibit!!:D

Needless to say, this is beautiful place to experience!!;)

Another suggestion for Philadelphia is the Once Upon a Nation storytellers. They're set up at benches at historic/tourist sites around the city. They tell anecdotes about the Revolution that really made the history come alive for us and DD. All of the storytellers were excellent and engaging. Each story is only about 10 minutes and well worth the time. I wish they did these in more cities.

Here's a link:

http://www.visitphilly.com/history/philadelphia/once-upon-a-nation/

ETA: I should also mention that the storytelling benches are completely free and no need for reservations or anything. They are a real gem! There is a book available for purchase, which we did bring home and it helps DD to remember the history she learned on the trip.

Edited by trinchick
Wanted to add that they're free!

Lots of cool stuff to see if you want to drive down to Gettysburg (about 40 minutes from Hershey, but an easy drive). And in between Hershey and Philadelphia is Lancaster, with plenty to do there, but we particularly like the Landis Valley Museum.

I can't get a good feel for this museum by looking online (no pictures). Is it a town where you can go into all the buildings? What do you like about it?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

If you do go to the Hershey Zoo, just be aware that a lot of the animals there "hide" during the hottest part of the day. Because of the way the zoo is laid out, it is possible to go and not see much outside (although there are some animals in indoor exhbits). So in the summer I would plan to do the zoo early in the day if possible in order to see the most. It's a nice little zoo!

If you do happen to go to Gettysburg, make sure you do it BEFORE Hershey Park. I didn't think that through very well when we went,

and the kids had a hard time going from "Wheeeee! This is so much fun!" to "and this is where thousands of men died, right here on this sacred ground.". Yea, it took a day of Hershey detox before they were able to get much out of it.

I can't get a good feel for this museum by looking online (no pictures). Is it a town where you can go into all the buildings? What do you like about it?

Landis Valley is a "living history village and farm" from the 1700/1800's. You purchase a ticket and walk through the gates. There you'll find a general store, a blacksmith shop, a doctor's office, etc. Certain days they have actual people working in those places. One day it was raining while we were there and we sat and talked to the blacksmith for over an hour- learned so much! Other times we've been there and it's been pretty dull. I'd call ahead to see if the costumed reenactors will be there or not.

You can often ride the horse-drawn wagons around the farm, see many animals, watch people work in the gardens and tend to the animals.

2-3 hours should be plenty.