Menu

I have too much curriculum for this year. UGH!!!

coffeefreak

I am so confused. What have I done?

OK, help me think this through.

I am doing MOH 1 as the spine for Ambleside Online year 2 with my youngest and year 6 with my oldest.

I am doing BJU math with my youngest and MUS with my oldest.

I am doing Apologia Swimming Creatures with my youngest, and Apologia General Science with my oldest.

Here's where I get muddy. Our convention is in April, so before I decided to use Ambleside and go back to CM basics, I purchased 3 Total Language Plus Units for my oldest, Latin alive, The Art of Argument, Write with the Best Volume 2, The Elegant Essay, and Rod and Staff Grade 7.:001_huh:

For my youngest, I still own DITHOR, Rod and Staff 3 (not ready for 4), God and the History of Art, Writing Tales volume I, and A Beka's Developing Good Health.

I think this is what has got me so tied up in planning knots this year. I can't decide what to use and what to scrap. I keep selling curriculum, which helps, but now I'm down to the planning stage and my year is not simplified at all! I REALLY REALLY need to make some decisions, but I love some of this curriculum, or maybe it's the idea of it? My youngest HATES DITHOR, and I could certainly use the money, but the thought of selling it makes me want to :crying: She loves Writing Tales, so I think I should keep that, but I'm not convinced Rod and Staff is the right way to go for her.

As for my oldest, I'm so sick of Rod and Staff, I can't stand it anymore.:svengo: I can't believe I just said that! I LOVE Rod and Staff! I've tried all the others! I own years 3-7!

Anyway, do you see what's going on in my house? What is wrong with me?!? I'm literally sitting in front of my school cabinet, staring into it and writing this out. I had to fill in 3 extra books I didn't remember buying.:tongue_smilie:

OK, so questions:

1. Do I scrap Rod and Staff for everyone? Youngest only? Oldest only? Any suggestions for Grammar? BTW, we tried PLL last year and youngest was not impressed. At All. I sold it.:lol:

2. Do I sell DITHOR?

3. Do I do Latin and Logic? Or maybe a semester of Logic and then a semester of Latin?

4. Do I do a writing program or just go Charlotte Mason all the way?

5. Do I scrap TLP? Do I use it as a TG for ME, or do I use it with oldest and modify her Ambleside schedule?

6. Should I have another cup of coffee and a donut and call it a day?

:willy_nilly:

Dorinda

1. Scrap Rod & Staff, at least for your oldest. KISS is challenging and won't involve your making another purchase.

2. Sell DITHOR. Your child hates it. Unless you're having another child to teach in the forseeable future, it's just taking up space.

3. That's up to you. How important are these subjects to you? Are you willing to take time away from something else to do them? Myself, I enjoyed logic in school, and took Latin as my foreign language elective because I was interested. Is your child interested in either of these? How are her logic skills? Can she reason reasonably (sorry, couldn't help myself :lol:) well?

4. How comfortable are you with teaching writing? Myself, I need a program because I don't think my expectations are realistic. Based on your statements, I'd keep Writing Tales because it's something your younger enjoys.

5. How do the two of you feel about TLP? Does your child WANT to do them, or are the topics covered something you could comfortably teach using AO?

6. No, definitely no more coffee and sugar. Maybe some meditation and a glass of warm milk. Think. Ponder. Where do you want your kids to be at this time next year? Don't drive yourself crazy.

I tried, coffeefreak, but I also went a little cross-eyed. LOL

Would you mind re-listing the info, arranged a little differently to show what you have planned for each child? And then we can help you weed and re-configure, maybe.

For example, make a list like this for each:

Boy/Girl age/grade

History

Literature

English

Math

Science

Electives

Would you mind?

Would you mind re-listing the info, arranged a little differently to show what you have planned for each child? And then we can help you weed and re-configure, maybe.

Boy/Girl age/grade

History

Literature

English

Math

Science

Electives

Would you mind?

Seriously, we really do need to get together at a hotel with all of our curriculum and then sort and plan. That way I could better visualize what you are doing.

I'm a grammar person. Mainly b/c I think that [particularly] in the younger years, the teaching of grammar [def 1st, and then in depth in upper elementary] will lead ultimately to better comprehension and writing. Thus I would want a solid grammar program. I have always been a R&S fan, but if you were doing that and a writing program on top of it, I would lose all of the writing elements as it is overkill. I have not really used any reading programs so I would probably ditch the DITHOR as well and go with lit that corresponds to the history you are studying.

KISS looks wonderful, but I have to really devote some time to it to best understand how to utilize it. KWIM?

Latin . . . ah Latin. I love it and while not that well versed in it see value of it as much more than just another language. Heck, that is what we use in CC to teach English grammar in the jr high and high school years. Henle is great for jr high and high school.

There are a couple of pennies for you. HTH:tongue_smilie:

Boy/Girl age/grade

History

Literature

English

Math

Science

Electives

Would you mind?

I'm going to try Tibbie.

Both are girls.

13yo 7th grader:

History- MOH/Ambleside Online

Literature - TLP; Ambleside Online; MOH recommendations (I feel the need to narrow this down :lol:)

Grammar - Rod and Staff I just asked oldest and she says if we HAVE to do Grammar next year, let's just do Rod and Staff and get it done. However, she wants to know how many more years we HAVE to do Grammar?:confused: She is so good at Grammar, maybe we should scrap it and review as needed until 9th grade?

Writing - Ambleside Online (CM style); TLP; Write With the Best; Rod and Staff All these programs have writing components which makes me wonder if I really need a writing program. I'm VERY comfortable with teaching writing, but I'm addicted to the curriculum. I owned 10 writing programs last year and sold at least half of them. My oldest is just now starting to get the hang of narration, and Rod and Staff has a very good basic writing component, so would I need WWTB or TLP?

Vocabulary - TLP; Latin Alive

Math - MUS

Science - Apologia Exploring Creation with General Science

Extras - Swim Team; Sewing; Art

That actually helped me Tibbie! It shows me that I'm tied up in the LA/History department. Boy, Sonlight is looking better and better!:lol:

Don't tell my husband I said that!:leaving:

I'll let you look at that while I type out my youngest's info.

TIA!

Dorinda

I'm going to try Tibbie.

Both are girls.

13yo 7th grader:

History- MOH/Ambleside Online looks good

Literature - TLP; Ambleside Online; MOH recommendations (I feel the need to narrow this down :lol:) drop TLP, put MOH recs in a "book basket," use discussion questions from WTM on AO books

Grammar - Rod and Staff I just asked oldest and she says if we HAVE to do Grammar next year, let's just do Rod and Staff and get it done. However, she wants to know how many more years we HAVE to do Grammar?:confused: She is so good at Grammar, maybe we should scrap it and review as needed until 9th grade? maybe keep R&S since she's already familiar with how it works and it will give writing instruction outside of her narrations,

Writing - Ambleside Online (CM style); TLP; Write With the Best; Rod and Staff All these programs have writing components which makes me wonder if I really need a writing program. I'm VERY comfortable with teaching writing, but I'm addicted to the curriculum. I owned 10 writing programs last year and sold at least half of them. My oldest is just now starting to get the hang of narration, and Rod and Staff has a very good basic writing component, so would I need WWTB or TLP?Drop TLP, keep R&S with written narrations. Could use part of WWTB for fun when you/she is ready for a change (FEBRUARY!!! :D)

Vocabulary - TLP; Latin Alive eh, drop TLP?

Math - MUS

Science - Apologia Exploring Creation with General Science

Extras - Swim Team; Sewing; Art

That actually helped me Tibbie! It shows me that I'm tied up in the LA/History department. Boy, Sonlight is looking better and better!:lol:

Don't tell my husband I said that!:leaving:

I'll let you look at that while I type out my youngest's info.

TIA!

Dorinda

Just my .02 :001_smile:

History- MOH/Ambleside Online

Literature - Ambleside Online; MOH recommendations

Grammar - Rod and Staff My youngest HATES Grammar. I mean with a purple passion to the point of fighting with me. Any suggestions here would be totally appreciated, even if it requires me to spend more money. We've done Rod and Staff 2, PLL, BJU (I hated BJU), and A Beka. She struggles with Grammar and Spelling so I think that's the problem.

Writing - Ambleside Online (CM style);Rod and Staff; Writing Tales Like I said, she LOVES Writing Tales (we started it last semester), so I think I should keep it. I also think she would benefit from written narrations (has oral narrations hands down), but Rod and Staff makes her break out into a cold sweat and rage.

Spelling-Spellwell She likes it, it's getting the job done

Math - BJU online class She's super excited about this, and I was just so glad to have SOMETHING I could outsource.

Science - Apologia Swimming Creatures She picked this out. She loves everything animals and is fascinated with the sea.

Art- God and the History of Art She also hates art because her sister is so good at it. The lady who teaches my oldest art told me to dump "Art" and do a picture study and handicrafts. It's like CM was speaking through her.

Extras - Swim Team; Ballet; Choir No more piano. they asked to drop it and we agreed.:crying:

That helped even more! I'm starting to feel calmer already. I didn't put DITHOR up there because you're all right. I should't force something on her that she sees as busy work. So, with youngest, it looks like I should dump DITHOR and Rod and Staff. I'm just at a loss as to what we should do instead. We did Queen's one year, but I'm so R&S oriented, it was hard for me to see results KWIM? Should I try it again? Is there another alternative I haven't thought about?

Thanks so much ladies! I appreciate it. I'm drinking water BTW:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

So, with youngest, it looks like I should dump DITHOR and Rod and Staff. I'm just at a loss as to what we should do instead. We did Queen's one year, but I'm so R&S oriented, it was hard for me to see results KWIM? Should I try it again? Is there another alternative I haven't thought about?

Why are you thinking of dumping R&S for the youngest again?

History- MOH/Ambleside Onlinevery good

Literature - Ambleside Online; MOH recommendationsyes

Grammar - Rod and Staff My youngest HATES Grammar. I mean with a purple passion to the point of fighting with me. Any suggestions here would be totally appreciated, even if it requires me to spend more money. We've done Rod and Staff 2, PLL, BJU (I hated BJU), and A Beka. She struggles with Grammar and Spelling so I think that's the problem.I would definitely switch to FLL 3 or 4 - whichever you think.

Writing - Ambleside Online (CM style);Rod and Staff; Writing Tales Like I said, she LOVES Writing Tales (we started it last semester), so I think I should keep it. I also think she would benefit from written narrations (has oral narrations hands down), but Rod and Staff makes her break out into a cold sweat and rage.Yay for success with writing!

Spelling-Spellwell She likes it, it's getting the job done

Math - BJU online class She's super excited about this, and I was just so glad to have SOMETHING I could outsource.

Science - Apologia Swimming Creatures She picked this out. She loves everything animals and is fascinated with the sea.

Art- God and the History of Art She also hates art because her sister is so good at it. The lady who teaches my oldest art told me to dump "Art" and do a picture study and handicrafts. It's like CM was speaking through her.

Extras - Swim Team; Ballet; Choir No more piano. they asked to drop it and we agreed.:crying:

That helped even more! I'm starting to feel calmer already. I didn't put DITHOR up there because you're all right. I should't force something on her that she sees as busy work. So, with youngest, it looks like I should dump DITHOR and Rod and Staff. I'm just at a loss as to what we should do instead. We did Queen's one year, but I'm so R&S oriented, it was hard for me to see results KWIM? Should I try it again? Is there another alternative I haven't thought about?

Thanks so much ladies! I appreciate it. I'm drinking water BTW:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

I agree with you about dumping DITHOR. I think I would sub FLL 3 or 4 for grammar and go with the rest. If you hit a road block later with WT, you could look at IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating or Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales.

Seriously, we really do need to get together at a hotel with all of our curriculum and then sort and plan. That way I could better visualize what you are doing.

There are a couple of pennies for you. HTH:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

And thanks for the pennies! I appreciate the advice!

I think you should use the things that you know work AND that your kids like. If they hate doing it, they won't without a fight. And then you should do #6. :lol:

I agree. After I read your response and then started to type it all out, I realized I was pounding my head against a wall. Just because it worked for my oldest and she loved it, doesn't mean it works for my youngest. Ah, the lament of many a homeschool mom.

1. Scrap Rod & Staff, at least for your oldest. KISS is challenging and won't involve your making another purchase.

2. Sell DITHOR. Your child hates it. Unless you're having another child to teach in the forseeable future, it's just taking up space. Done *SIGH*

3. That's up to you. How important are these subjects to you? Are you willing to take time away from something else to do them? Myself, I enjoyed logic in school, and took Latin as my foreign language elective because I was interested. Is your child interested in either of these? How are her logic skills? Can she reason reasonably (sorry, couldn't help myself :lol:) well? She wants to and should do logic. I'm not sure about Latin. We haven't done it at all.

4. How comfortable are you with teaching writing? Myself, I need a program because I don't think my expectations are realistic. Based on your statements, I'd keep Writing Tales because it's something your younger enjoys. :iagree:

5. How do the two of you feel about TLP? Does your child WANT to do them, or are the topics covered something you could comfortably teach using AO? Her response was, "No, I don't hate it, but I wouldn't be upset if you scrapped it either."

6. No, definitely no more coffee and sugar. Maybe some meditation and a glass of warm milk. Think. Ponder. Where do you want your kids to be at this time next year? Don't drive yourself crazy.

:lol: Thank you. Excellent advice. No more donuts for me.

You are making my head hurt. I have to look at your pretty avatar.... there. all better.

#6.

:lol:

Thanks ladies!

Oh, I'm starting to feel so much better. I'm off to the eye Dr with my girls, but I'll be back this afternoon to read the suggestions, pull books and plan. Keep them coming!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Why are you thinking of dumping R&S for the youngest again?

She hates it.:glare: I don't know though, she's probably going to hate any grammar program, right? Carmen, it reminds me of all the math woes with my oldest (remember all those threads)? Not as severe because we're not dealing with any learning disabilities, but I still feel like I'm spinning my wheels with her. She's not behind, but it's the one subject where it always ends with tears and tempers. Maybe I should look at it as more of a discipline issue, but I don't know.

:confused:

I agree with you about dumping DITHOR. I think I would sub FLL 3 or 4 for grammar and go with the rest. If you hit a road block later with WT, you could look at IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating or Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales.

I don't know why I didn't look into FLL? I'll do that.

Thanks!

Dorinda

You know, last year I helped a sick friend by hsing her littles. The 3rd grader was doing FLL 3. Now I started my WTM journey before FLL 3 and up were available and did what SWB told me to. FLL 1/2 and then on to R&S.

My 3rd graders [3 of them] were doing R&S and doing alright. They all got As on the tests, but there were certainly a lot of non comprehension moments. 1/2 through the year I started with df's son and hated [that's right, hated] FLL 3. It was too scripted, too much help to the child, etc.

Fast forward to the end of the school year and I think I may well scrap R&S 3 for FLL 3. It is classical. Model until they get it. My kids were doing R&S, but they weren't getting it. Now there is a time and place for doing without understanding im[oh so very]ho. But I like the FLL approach better now.

Of course after 3rd grade, my kids go into CC Essentials, which is an entirely different ball of wax and if you want to know more about what I believe to be THE best grammar program in the world, pm me. :D

[and no I do not make any money for that endorsement.:tongue_smilie:]

What about Mad Libs? DD has kind of struggled with grammar and these make her laugh and help her remember the parts of speech. We're following that with MCT Island this upcoming year (she'll be 3rd grade by age) because she saw the samples and fell in love. If you don't want the whole program, you can do Grammar Island, Sentence Island, then Practice Island and skip the poetry and vocab books. If you really wanted to pare it down, you could probably just do SI and PI, since (in flipping through the books) it seems like most of the teaching and practice is there.

We are using Growing with Grammar and DD complains because she doesn't know why we have to do grammar. I told her why SWB says it is so important... I get a "oh I hate grammar" when the book comes out, but she does it.

We are taking it slow because I heard that it seems like you do the same thing every year... just all review.... so I got level 4 to use over two years. She is learning, will likely end up at the same level as if we had done two books and doesn't have a bunch of work/writing to do.

For grammar for your youngest... Perhaps something gentle would be better. Others recommended FLL, or you could consider PLL/ILL??

She *might* enjoy MCT as someone mentioned, just because it is so different. But it's pricey for something you might have to toss aside, and it is rather mom/teacher intensive. Worth a look though.

I feel for you... I have too much curriculum too, and then I ordered more. :D I did end up sending some pieces back, and I'm reconsidering a few others. Our achilles' heel is math curriculum, I had three separate fourth grade programs here at one point. :grouphug:

We used R&S English for 3 years and I was getting tired of it, so my 4th and 5th graders are using Climbing to Good English this year. We've only used it for a week but I really like it. It's very inexpensive, it's a workbook (which is good for my 4th grader), and I have no prep. With R&S, I had to look over the lessons and decide what to assign. There was just too much there, plus I always felt guilty for not going over the oral drill sections with the dc. My dc are very happy with CTGE so far.

As for DITHOR, I'd sell it.

I've been reading TWTM all day, and I'm thinking of using FLL 3 with my 4th grader. It is something different, her sister has never done it (yes, that is an issue), and it has a workbook. I also feel like there's variety to it. Rod and Staff has no variety. Am I wrong on that?

I'm going to sell DITHOR (feel free to make me an offer:lol:).

Still pondering oldest. Be back later.

My 3rd grader was not feeling the love for Rod & Staff either and claims he hates grammar. For now we are reading GrammarLand (which he loves) and using IEW Fix-It (which he also loves). So he is learning grammar without the mind numbing repetition. Rod & Staff was too repetitive for him, and he didn't seem to be absorbing it anyway since the examples were so predictable. I have toyed with adding KISS grammar in, but he is so anti-grammar right now we may just put it off for a while.

BTW, he became the same way about reading after we tried DITHOR:glare:. He wanted nothing to do with reading books and this year we are just letting him read what he wants (within reason) as he goes through DITHOR detox:lol:!

BTW, he became the same way about reading after we tried DITHOR:glare:. He wanted nothing to do with reading books and this year we are just letting him read what he wants (within reason) as he goes through DITHOR detox:lol:!

Isn't that funny? My oldest LOVED DITHOR. My youngest says it's busy work. She'll read the books, but she doesn't want to use the worksheets. Ah Well! Such is life.

We used R&S English for 3 years and I was getting tired of it, so my 4th and 5th graders are using Climbing to Good English this year. We've only used it for a week but I really like it. It's very inexpensive, it's a workbook (which is good for my 4th grader), and I have no prep. With R&S, I had to look over the lessons and decide what to assign. There was just too much there, plus I always felt guilty for not going over the oral drill sections with the dc. My dc are very happy with CTGE so far.

As for DITHOR, I'd sell it.

I can't find any samples on their website. Do you know where I can find some?

Thanks!

Dorinda

PS Your ticker is so cute!

Thanks Carmen!

OK, so I ordered FLL 3 for youngest. I think she NEEDS the foundation it will give us for 4. Even if the first couple of units are too easy, it will do her good.

For my oldest, I'm dropping TLP, but keeping it for ideas for me (discussion questions)

And, I really like the idea of using WWTB for a break in the spring. Thanks Lynn!

Off to ask a different question on another thread! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for all your help!

Dorinda

For grammar for your oldest, have you considered the AO selections instead of R&S? Our Mother Tongue by Nance Wilson and The Grammar of Poetry (Imitation in Writing) by Matt Whitling is what is scheduled in year 7, but they also suggest Jenson's Grammar as an alternative to Our Mother Tongue. If you are using the AO schedule already, that may make it easier on yourself, and of course they are very "CM."

2. Sell DITHOR. Your child hates it. Unless you're having another child to teach in the forseeable future, it's just taking up space.

3. That's up to you. How important are these subjects to you? Are you willing to take time away from something else to do them? Myself, I enjoyed logic in school, and took Latin as my foreign language elective because I was interested. Is your child interested in either of these? How are her logic skills? Can she reason reasonably (sorry, couldn't help myself :lol:) well?

4. How comfortable are you with teaching writing? Myself, I need a program because I don't think my expectations are realistic. Based on your statements, I'd keep Writing Tales because it's something your younger enjoys.

5. How do the two of you feel about TLP? Does your child WANT to do them, or are the topics covered something you could comfortably teach using AO?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would choose ONE literature track (like just MOH suggestions or just Ambleside...I usually stick with the history suggestions).

Pick and choose writing assignments. I was a lit major, so I am also comfortable with teaching writing. We use several writing programs, but not all at once. I go through all of them and choose the ones my kids and I would like best and then skip all the others. If you go through one particular book and only find one or two good ideas, jot them down (somewhere safe) and then get rid of it.