Menu

anyone still using Rightstart Math

We used it through level E (4th grade). I added some extra drill and some sheets from MM b/c with co-op it was hard for us to fit in the games too often. I'm skipping level G for the time being b/c I want to spend more time on long division, fractions, and decimals (and this ds doesn't really like the geometry lessons anyway.) I really liked the way they covered fractions in RS.

ETA: Sorry, just realized I was on the logic stage board! level G was probably what you were wondering about! :)

thank you so much for your input. We have been using Key To Fractions...and my kids hate it or maybe they need something more manipulative like to teach it.

So I will now definitely consider Rightstart whatever level for fractions or perhaps watch Education Unboxed. I don;t know.

Just want to add that you may want to give Math U See a try. I thought I would never use it because I always loved Rightstart more, but then after completing the Key to books and my dd not remembering much from those books I decided we need to take a different approach for her 8th grade year. So, we just started MUS Epsilon for review and will probably move quickly through it. Then we will go into Zeta and move at a fairly fast pace as well since fractions and decimals are all topics that we have covered before. We will spend the rest of the 8th grade year covering MUS Prealgebra. So far we are liking the way MUS is presented and the amount of problems provided. I chose MUS because I wanted to present a different more hands on visual way of looking at math before we get to Algebra. Once we get to the Algebra level we may go with something else, not sure yet.

Still using here. DS11 (going into 6th next year) finished Level E at the end of 4th. He really loved RightStart's geometry/drawing stuff in the earlier levels so we continued with Level G (Geometric Lessons) this last year. Did about 1/3 of it, interspersed with Key to Fractions/Decimals/Percents (an acknowledged weakness in RightStart) and selected sections of Singapore 5A/B.

This coming year DS will do the rest of Level G along with SM 6A/B. It might go into 7th a bit before we start Algebra.

We used it up till this past year with DD11 (Level E). I won't go onto the next level, and we actually ended up skipping the last 20 lessons of E because she was too confused and frustrated. I didn't like the way things were being explained (or- not explained), especially in the division lessons we skipped.

DD did really well with the geometry lessons in D and E, which was good since a lot of the time I didn't really understand them myself! But DS9 coming along after her is not as intuitive with the geometry so I know I won't succeed in level D with him at all. I'm switching them both to Saxon in the hopes that instruction will be clearer.

For my younger kids, I plan to have them do RS up to level C, then we will switch out.

As a side note- I am not great in math myself, I really need clearer explanations and more handholding than RS gives after level C. I suspect if you are more comfortable with math you would do just fine.

at this level? Tell me what you think? Last year my 10yr olds used TT 5 and bored out of their minds. It was too easy. We moved over to Singapore 3 but the pictures in the books are not enough. They need manipulatives/games....

Did you give them the placement test before doing TT5? I found (for us) it works great when placed correctly!

at this level? Tell me what you think? Last year my 10yr olds used TT 5 and bored out of their minds. It was too easy. We moved over to Singapore 3 but the pictures in the books are not enough. They need manipulatives/games....

Younger dd is still working her way through the Geometry -- we have a really old, old copy of LEvel G that's actually in a 3-ring notebook because not all of the pages had been written yet when we first got it. She alternates it with Key to books on fractions, decimals, and percents.

I'm up in the air on where we'll go from here. Possibly Lial's pre-Algebra.

Older dd did RightStart through the Geometry level, and commented that high school geometry was so much easier for her since she had already seen so many of the concepts in RightStart. Your mileage may vary ... one thing she's noticed about the way she learns math and science is that she does better with a small intro, then lets those concepts simmer in the back of her mind, then return to them months or years later.

He started B in first grade. We are one quarter way through G now, and will start using VisualText A once per week in the fall while we wend our way through the rest of G.

For my math-hating child, it has been an excellent curriculum. He doesn't hate math any more, and is reasonably good at it, despite all earlier indicators of not even being willing\able to learn the basics. Maybe he just grew up, but RS's approach has really worked very well for him.

• 2 weeks later...

My 12 yo has gone through all the levels of RightStart and is about 2/3 of the way through Geometry now. In addition to that, he did some Life of Fred and Basic College Math last year for practice. He's doing great with it and understands geometry better than I did when I took it in high school. Often when he asks me a question, he figures out the answer himself faster than I do.

He'll finish up the last 1/3 this year and also start working through VideoText Algebra.

Still using here. DS11 (going into 6th next year) finished Level E at the end of 4th. He really loved RightStart's geometry/drawing stuff in the earlier levels so we continued with Level G (Geometric Lessons) this last year. Did about 1/3 of it, interspersed with Key to Fractions/Decimals/Percents (an acknowledged weakness in RightStart) and selected sections of Singapore 5A/B.

This coming year DS will do the rest of Level G along with SM 6A/B. It might go into 7th a bit before we start Algebra.

We love rightstart! can't imagine giving it up. finished A-E with my rising 5th grader.

now thinking about taking a little time off before we delve into RightStart Geometry (but will do it) and working on what to supplement.

Linders - sounds like what we're planning to do. Tell me how you enjoyed the Key to Fractions/Decimals/Percents - does it work well with your RS-taught child? And did you take the assessment test to determine that SM 5A/B were good starting points?