Menu

What can I do with "milk" crates?

I have pink and purple milk crates that I bought at Staples when I was doing the infamous filing system. They've lingered in the storage room since, and before I get rid of them, I'm wondering if someone can suggest a use for them. They're too open for storing much, they don't slide easily on our shelves, and I don't need them for filing anymore.

Does anyone have a brilliant use for them, or should I let them go free? (Note to self: Next time, spend the extra few $$ and get the enclosed ones with lids that you wanted in the first place!)

I have 4. I don't know why I bought them. They were a cute pink at Target. I just use them to corral DD's huge collection of stuffed animals. They all stack in her closet one on top of the other.

My only other thought would be books.

my kids have 2 milk crates stacked on their side, one on top of the other, using them as bedstands. They store their books inside, I put a small, thin piece of wood on top to create a smooth surface for their lamps and small basket of "things" ( lip gloss, book marks, nick nacks, watches, etc). Oh, I used zip ties to hooks the 2 crates together so they don't fall apart. Works really well for us.

my kids have 2 milk crates stacked on their side, one on top of the other, using them as bedstands. They store their books inside, I put a small, thin piece of wood on top to create a smooth surface for their lamps and small basket of "things" ( lip gloss, book marks, nick nacks, watches, etc). Oh, I used zip ties to hooks the 2 crates together so they don't fall apart. Works really well for us.

I was going to suggest something similar to this. How many do you have? Could you do a grouping of them , stacked and zip tied, as a cubby/bookcase? It would be funky and cute!

I was going to suggest something similar to this. How many do you have? Could you do a grouping of them , stacked and zip tied, as a cubby/bookcase? It would be funky and cute!

This is what my shelf is in the schoolroom there are 6 3 by 3 side to side they make great cubby types I also have three stacked for their lockers too

Trunk organizer? I may do that w/mine.

Carol, that's exactly what I just did! I clicked over to Flylady from my decluttering thread, and there was an article about cleaning out your car. I started thinking about how I hate having stuff rolling around my car, but I need to keep some stuff in there all the time. I almost started googling "trunk organizers," but then I remembered the crates! Woohoo! I love putting random stuff to good use.

Thank you all. I appreciate all the ideas. I did just get sucked into Amy's Pinterest page but managed to pull myself out just in time, LOL!

I still have several of the ones I bought to take to college, back in 1995. One holds recycling outside. Two others hold random hats and stuff in the closet. They do make nice shelves. I like to keep at least one in the car to hold stuff too. When all else fails, I grab one to use as an overflow bin. I can't imagine getting rid of them!

I've used them for nightstands (in college). Now my kids use them for laundry baskets in their rooms.

I like the idea of a trunk organizer, or for recycling. Although, why did I think "travel trunk" instead of "car trunk" at first? Who is using trunks anymore, I thought? Clearly I was born in the wrong century. :D

I use them to store things on shelves. You may be able to spray paint them to a more neutral color.

I use them for:

Books to sell

Library books

Baseball gloves/balls

Hats

Shoes

When we have a birthday coming up I use it to corral party items (paper cups, plates, cake mix, etc)

When we are going camping or on a trip I use them to pack through out the week before we leave. See something we need, throw it in the crate on the counter

Elizabeth

I set them on one side, then stack another on top of it. This has created the perfect storage for my binders in my classroom.

The idea of putting the four together to create a bench seat is genius. Heaven knows I have enough of these to make theater seating! (Target clearance three years ago/$2 apiece)