Menu

if you have a long sermon, that is point by point from the Bible....

Bible class for the adults goes verse by verse through a book of the Bible. The kids Bible class is more "story" based, example: tomorrow we are studying the conversion of lydia. The sermons are usually about a topic and have scriptures fom different books of the Bible.

Edited by Lacie

Sunday school tends to go through things slower as it is open discusion on a piece of scripture, led by one of the pastors. Every talks about it, chews it up and pulls it all apart. The sermon has no one talking other than the pastor, so it is more teaching. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same, just led by different guys so we get a slightly different view on things. Really, I learn more in Sunday School as I have a hard time focusing if I'm not really involved.

Sunday school tends to go through things slower as it is open discusion on a piece of scripture, led by one of the pastors. Every talks about it, chews it up and pulls it all apart. The sermon has no one talking other than the pastor, so it is more teaching.

Same here. Sunday school allows for questions, discussion, and even disagreement. Service is expository preaching - explaining the passage verse by verse.

Our Sunday classes are separated into types: young married couples, college and career, children, teens, and then there is a general one. They all have different teachers. We are in the young married group ("young" has no specific age range. My DH is 37 and I'm almost 30 and we've been married for almost 7 years and we attend. There are older couples than us as well). Our Sunday school teacher generally picks studies that are helpful to us as married couples. We've gone through and done a biblical study and used the book "Love and Respect" alongside it, we've gone through the book of Hosea together, we've talked about submission and husband's repsonsibilities, we study how Christian couples can serve together, parenting, etc. I can't really speak for the what the rest teach because this is the only one that we've attended in the four years we've been members of our church.

ETA: As pps said, there is also a lot more back and forth discussion in the Sunday School class.

Same here. Sunday school allows for questions, discussion, and even disagreement. Service is expository preaching - explaining the passage verse by verse.

:iagree: This describes our Sunday school and service as well. Our sermon in the service also contains application of the passage to everyday life. So it's basically what the passage means and then why does it matter to our lives.

Same at our church. Although Sunday School can be topic driven rather than going through a book of the Bible. Right now the teens and adults are together and we are studying Pilgrim's Progress along with all the Scripture in it. It has been very interesting. It amazes me how contemporary that book actually is!

Same at our church. Although Sunday School can be topic driven rather than going through a book of the Bible. Right now the teens and adults are together and we are studying Pilgrim's Progress along with all the Scripture in it. It has been very interesting. It amazes me how contemporary that book actually is!

Ooh! I want to go to your church. That sounds like a lot of fun.:001_cool:

My church offers several options for adult Sunday School. There's usually one that discusses some current or social issue and the theme of the class is how to address/deal with that issue in a biblical manner. Then there's usually one that's more doctrine-centered or one that goes through a book written by a Christian author (like Paul Tripp or John MacArthur), then there's the ladies group (for any woman, but it's usually widowed old ladies who go. LOL) and the senior citizen class. I've no idea what those two classes discuss.