Menu

What are you using for Lit? I need help

kwickimom

OK...So I was going to do CHOLL but I am doing History Odyssey and I think we will get burnt out just reading books from History. There are some books scheduled in HO but I want to do Lit with classics, etc. NOT History.

Anyways... I am planning on using something like Lightning Lit in 7th and 8th and I currently have a 5th grader. I am thinking of:

A. Just reading good books and setting aside time each week to learn literary devices/terms/etc as a separate subject maybe using Figuratively Speaking or something like that. After she reads a book we can discuss characters and plot and things like that and maybe filling out a worksheet or something.

OR

B. Just reading good books and not worrying about anything else until 7th and 8th grade.

OR

C. Doing some book study thingys that I can download

What are your plans???

You could do a combination of all three.:001_smile:You could use a guide for one or two books, work on literary terms, talk about some and just leave some alone. I'm not sure if you like doing oral narrations (and written too) but these work well with literature too.

I'm working on doing things the hard way for my younger dd....:lol:....as in I'm going to read the books ahead of her and write my own guides (Book Notes).

But, I do plan on taking advantage of whatever free guides I can find.

My older dd is finishing Figuratively Speaking along with Prose and Poetry which is similar. I made a schedule for both books and put them in alphabetical order. She keeps a literary terms notebook (which is in alphabetical order) by writing the definition of the term, examples from the above books and leaves space for her examples as she comes across them while reading literature.

You could do a combination of all three.:001_smile:You could use a guide for one or two books, work on literary terms, talk about some and just leave some alone. I'm not sure if you like doing oral narrations (and written too) but these work well with literature too.

I'm working on doing things the hard way for my younger dd....:lol:....as in I'm going to read the books ahead of her and write my own guides (Book Notes).

But, I do plan on taking advantage of whatever free guides I can find.

My older dd is finishing Figuratively Speaking along with Prose and Poetry which is similar. I made a schedule for both books and put them in alphabetical order. She keeps a literary terms notebook (which is in alphabetical order) by writing the definition of the term, examples from the above books and leaves space for her examples as she comes across them while reading literature.

This is a great idea I will think about this. We do narrations and my dd is good at them, but we have never done one for an entire book. Maybe I will have her do one a chapter and then I can go through and look for literary terms and elements too.

I don't know your child, but I know many members on the board consider LL7 lite for 7th grade.

I've ordered it, and read the guide and the books and decided LL7 would fit our dd next year (10 in dec.)

So maybe is that also an option ;)

oh thanks for that, hadn't heard of that!

We've used mbtp lit guides and enjoyed them. I wouldn't do them for every book all year, though.

Also, Scholastic has some book guides. Next time there is a dollar deals sale, you might want to see if they have any on the books you are interested in. The guides have comprehension questions, writing prompts, some project ideas and a few worksheets.

Can't you just use HO as your spine and utilize the lit from CHOLL?

Thats the problem....the books in CHOLL all tying to history will drive us bonkers. Too many History related books. I want to use other books like classics that arent tied to History. HO schedules 3 or 4 books and I think that will be enough :)

If you haven't caught them, there are two really great lectures from SWB that address your issue exactly: One on Literary Analysis, what it is and how to do it, and one on Great Books as History, which talks about what you do in elementary and middle school years in terms of reading and analysis to prepare for the GB in HS. They are both great lectures, and might ease your mind in terms of what you should be doing now . . .

(they are both available on the Peace Hill Press audio lectures page)

If you haven't caught them, there are two really great lectures from SWB that address your issue exactly: One on Literary Analysis, what it is and how to do it, and one on Great Books as History, which talks about what you do in elementary and middle school years in terms of reading and analysis to prepare for the GB in HS. They are both great lectures, and might ease your mind in terms of what you should be doing now . . .

Yes, I also recommend these.

I have a rising fifth grader and we will be using the SWB approach, which I strongly agree with. I am scheduling a time once per week, to start, where we only talk about the books he is reading for literature. I'm sure there will be discussions at other times as well, but this way I make sure we do that.

I also have Figuratively Speaking and we will probably continue to do some of that from time to time, too. But most of it can be worked in with discussion, and Writing With Skill, which we are also using.

We are option D-ers. Reading leads to interests that lead sometimes to other reading and so on. We discuss things, but no lit guides or anything, not even literary analysis terms unless they just come up in the course of a discussion. Sometimes, at some levels, I think literary analysis can lead to greater appreciation of a work, but more often I think it doesn't. At some point if he is going to college, we'll have to do some so that he knows what to do, but I'd rather have him love Shakespeare, which he does, than be able to analyze it.

I discovered CLE reading last year and really like the flexibility of it. The light units only take about half the year, so in between each unit, I choose a classic book for dd to read. Sometimes I find a unit study for the particular book, other times I make up assignments/activities for each chapter to demonstrate comprehension.

Thanks I will check these out!