Menu

Has anyone read any adult books by Roald Dahl?

I first discovered Roald Dahl's adult books when I happened to see a TV show called "Tales of the Unexpected" based on Dahl's short stories for adults. In fact, Dahl himself introduced some of the stories on the TV show. It was so good, so spine tingling, and I just had to go out and read the books.

A couple of my favorite short stories are "Royal Jelly" and "Skin." On the TV show, Royal Jelly was SO well done. I have to try and find that TV series on netflix or something.

I personally find many of Dahl's children's book a little bizarre, but looking at the adult short stories, I can see where his writing interests certainly are, and "bizarre" is definitely on his radar.

I had no idea he wrote anything for adults. Off to the library website...:auto:

"Tales of the Unexpected," "Kiss Kiss," "Oh, Sweet Mystery of Life" (I LOVE this one!).

Don't start with "Skin" unless you're "thickish skinned." :D It's an excellent story, but a bit ...ummm... unexpected.

I have read everything that is collected in the RD Omnibus. He is an interesting person, lol. I did not know that any of his adult works had made it onto the screen--I will look for them, thanks!

I just found some episodes on youtube. Royal Jelly is one of them!

I recently read "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More" - a compilation of short stories for middle/high school and thought they were well done. I haven't yet attempted his adult stuff. It was never on my radar.

I just tried to read this book. The short story "The Swan" is definitely NOT going to be read to or by my dc until they are adults. Very well written, but also disturbing. I think it's more disturbing because he wrote it for youth.

I recently read "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More" - a compilation of short stories for middle/high school and thought they were well done. I haven't yet attempted his adult stuff. It was never on my radar.

Yes, really great writing!

I have one of his short story compilations (can't remember the exact name) and they are really good, but very much for grown-ups.