Menu

Help me plan the menu for an office party at our house

Every other summer, we invite everyone from dh's office and their families to our house for a party. Usually 20-30 people show up. We have a cook-out and the kids swim.

We usually make hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken breasts on the grill. I make homemade salsa and guacamole with tortilla chips. I also usually make or buy potato salad. Then we have some potato chips or pretzels.

The "girls" (dh's secretarial pool) always want alcohol, so I've made sangria and we've provided beer in the past. But dh doesn't drink at all, and I have an occasional glass of wine every few months, so we don't know what to buy, really. It always seems that our beer choices suck, even though I've asked my brother for advice. :glare: No one ever seems thrilled. So, recommendations on beer would be good.

I'd like to mix up the menu this year instead of having the same old stuff, so what are your favorite summer party foods? :bigear:

We just did a BBQ for 25 and served ribs. I bought them at Costco. They had a dry St. Louis rub on them and we wrapped them in foil and grilled them for a while (2 hours) on very low heat. They were wonderful! We also served Brats instead of hotdogs with saukraut and a selection of mustards. I am not much of a beer drinker, but my hubby loves Dogfish Head and Racer 5. They are both IPA's.

HTH,

When we buy beer for parties I ask the person who cares most: 'what kind of beer should I get?'

In your case I'd have dh ask at the office.

If that isn't possible, I agree with pp to get a variety... possibly a variety of summer brews.

Regarding food: wow! You guys are all waaaaaay more ambitious that I!

We just did a BBQ for 25 and served ribs. I bought them at Costco. They had a dry St. Louis rub on them and we wrapped them in foil and grilled them for a while (2 hours) on very low heat. They were wonderful! We also served Brats instead of hotdogs with saukraut and a selection of mustards. I am not much of a beer drinker, but my hubby loves Dogfish Head and Racer 5. They are both IPA's.

HTH,

Ribs is an interesting idea . . .

What does IPA mean?

This year, my bbq choice has been bbq chicken breasts. For our 4th of July bbq, I served the above chicken with corn on the cob, a macaroni salad (homemade - tastes like potato salad with no potatoes), and watermelon. I planned to make a green salad too, but ran out of time. Dessert was ice cream cookie sandwiches. Strawberry Pretzel Dessert is also a favorite dessert at gatherings.

Another recipe we like to make for gatherings are fajitas - we usually make both chicken and steak. I'll make fixings similiar to what you would find at Chipotles.

As for the beer selection, I don't have any specific brands to recommend (I prefer wine). Maybe you could go to a beer store and just buy several different kinds of six packs like Sam Adams, etc...

Enjoy your party!

bbq chicken also sounds good. What is Strawberry Pretzel dessert?

Do you have a Trader Joe's? They sell a big variety of specialty beers. You can mix and match 6 packs.

We do have a Trader Joe's. I can ask one of the workers to help me pick some good ones. I suppose dh could ask at the office, too, but he would probably feel weird about that, knowing him.

I like foods that can be kept warm (and covered) in crock pots. some real easy ones are

meatballs and sauce - buy the meatballs and jar sauce ready -made.

sauerkraut and kielbasa - slice the kielbasa and drain the sauerkraut (then people can use the kraut on their hot dogs, too)

pasta can be put in crock pots, too. pre cook and leave on warm so it doesn't keep cooking and turn to mush. with sauce.

baked beans.

robin in NJ

I made all of these for a party last week and they were great. Super easy, cheap and tasty. The thin mint truffles were the biggest hit http://theglitterguide.com/2012/06/03/celebrate-summer-with-a-no-bake-dessert-party/

Have you ever done a myo fajita/burrito/taco bar? Also easy and allows people to make what they want but still fun

Hope you have a fun party.

I like foods that can be kept warm (and covered) in crock pots. some real easy ones are

meatballs and sauce - buy the meatballs and jar sauce ready -made.

sauerkraut and kielbasa - slice the kielbasa and drain the sauerkraut (then people can use the kraut on their hot dogs, too)

pasta can be put in crock pots, too. pre cook and leave on warm so it doesn't keep cooking and turn to mush. with sauce.

baked beans.

robin in NJ

Oooo! Thanks for reminding me. Someone had made a very popular Kickin' Chicken dip in a crockpot at my niece's graduation party. That would be perfect for our party!

I made all of these for a party last week and they were great. Super easy, cheap and tasty. The thin mint truffles were the biggest hit http://theglitterguide.com/2012/06/03/celebrate-summer-with-a-no-bake-dessert-party/

Have you ever done a myo fajita/burrito/taco bar? Also easy and allows people to make what they want but still fun

Hope you have a fun party.

You made ALL of those! Wow! I'm impressed. They all look good, and I might consider making some, but I'll be depressed since I can't eat gluten! :sad:

Get some Italian sausages and brats for the grill, to mix it up, or cook some with peppers and onions ahead of time?

AS for the beer, is it for girls or guys? Do the girls even like beer? There are some great hard apple ciders out there now, and blueberry or raspberry beers are always fun and usually a big hit. (especially with women). Berryweiss is yummy and women tend to like it. Blue Moon served with some wedges of orange for those that like that.

I work as a wedding coordinator....some of the popular beers at receptions are Corona, Blue Moon, Yuengling and the always popular Stella Artois. You may also want a dark beer from Sam Adams, etc.

You could do a signature cocktail for the women....melon liquor with sprite and fruit juice with a splash of citrus vodka. There are lots of simple cocktail recipes online that can be pre made.

You made ALL of those! Wow! I'm impressed. They all look good, and I might consider making some, but I'll be depressed since I can't eat gluten! :sad:

Don't be impressed. Those really are easy and fast. Plus, it was a dessert and drinks party. I didn't have to make a main meal.

If any of them really appeal to you, I bet you could make 'em gf. This is a great recipe for gf thin mints. The ones I tried to make would work great for the truffle recipe 'cause mine did not turn out as pretty as the pic. But they were tasty http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/thin-mints/

A pretzel crust, layer of cream cheese/sugar/cool whip mixture, then layer of strawberry jello and frozen sliced strawberries in sugar mixture. So, it's salty and sweet at the same time.

Here's a recipe.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeuOkx7beZQyuxXMc_1hfKP3NRk3B381kXxhXoI91rijoz4mTb

Some people make a cherry version, but I'm not a fan of cherries, except the fruit by itself.

I love this salid! Can't figure out how to make it in UK no cool whip. I don't think it will hold up with whipped cream. Really good with raspberries too!

We do sausages instead of hot dogs. I think the taco bar sounds like fun!

Get some Italian sausages and brats for the grill, to mix it up, or cook some with peppers and onions ahead of time?

AS for the beer, is it for girls or guys? Do the girls even like beer? There are some great hard apple ciders out there now, and blueberry or raspberry beers are always fun and usually a big hit. (especially with women). Berryweiss is yummy and women tend to like it. Blue Moon served with some wedges of orange for those that like that.

I buy grass fed beef and whole chickens from local farmers/CSA and occasionally Whole Foods/Trader Joes. We only get all beef kosher hot dogs for when we have a cook out. I wouldn't even know where to begin with Italian sausages or brats. Any good brands? Should I just ask a butcher? I think the guests might like that. I think Whole Foods sells stuff like that. Good idea.

A pretzel crust, layer of cream cheese/sugar/cool whip mixture, then layer of strawberry jello and frozen sliced strawberries in sugar mixture. So, it's salty and sweet at the same time.

Here's a recipe.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeuOkx7beZQyuxXMc_1hfKP3NRk3B381kXxhXoI91rijoz4mTb

Some people make a cherry version, but I'm not a fan of cherries, except the fruit by itself.

Thank you. That looks interesting.

How about a beef brisket? I made that for my husband's co-workers last year, and it was a huge hit. And it makes a ton, so it's great for a big group.

As for beer, do you have a local micro-brewery? If so, you could serve some of what they're best known for.

I have a Jewish MIL. There's no way I can make a brisket and have it be anywhere near as tasty as hers. :D I think there are a couple of local micro-breweries. I'll check into that, too.

I work as a wedding coordinator....some of the popular beers at receptions are Corona, Blue Moon, Yuengling and the always popular Stella Artois. You may also want a dark beer from Sam Adams, etc.

You could do a signature cocktail for the women....melon liquor with sprite and fruit juice with a splash of citrus vodka. There are lots of simple cocktail recipes online that can be pre made.

If I had the money, I'd hire a bartender! I tried to make margaritas once, and they were apparently awful! I will try to look up some cocktail recipes.

Don't be impressed. Those really are easy and fast. Plus, it was a dessert and drinks party. I didn't have to make a main meal.

If any of them really appeal to you, I bet you could make 'em gf. This is a great recipe for gf thin mints. The ones I tried to make would work great for the truffle recipe 'cause mine did not turn out as pretty as the pic. But they were tasty http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/thin-mints/

Now, there's an excellent idea! I'm still impressed, btw.!

I love this salid! Can't figure out how to make it in UK no cool whip. I don't think it will hold up with whipped cream. Really good with raspberries too!

We do sausages instead of hot dogs. I think the taco bar sounds like fun!

I bet it would hold up with whipped cream. I make a somewhat similar dessert (nuts/flour/butter crust topped with powdered sugar/cream cheese/whipped cream layer topped with chocolate or lemon pudding topped with more whipped cream) and using whipped cream instead of cool whip works.