Menu

Will you help another member pick a house?

Which House?  

1. 1. Which House?

• House 1
    • House 2
    • PIE!!!!

Okay, here goes...

House 1: We are in it. It meets our basic needs. The main living space seems a bit cluttered as it really is an eat-in kitchen and livingroom at the end of a wider than average, but not wide, hall. We do have a small room I can use for a schoolroom. Small backyard. NO parking outside of two vehicles in driveway (which has been a big issue with social workers, therapists, etc). Was mostly furnished. We have yard healthy and nice. Landlord handles preventative pest control, buying a/c filters, etc. Our landlord is better at handling things like water/sewage/trash, bills that must go to home owner then are passed onto renter. Our landlord lets us pay cable/internet that way also.

House 2: Friends are moving from it. $245 more per month. 1000sq ft bigger and bigger backyard. Landlord willing to make the one change we need to make it work. The kitchen is bigger but the eat-in area (which we use for dining) is smaller. Two possible areas for homeschool room, both pretty big (one downstairs, one up...and the one up is not hot). I don't actually know what I'm going to do with the space we don't choose for the homeschool room, maybe gymnastics practice and exercise? A LOT more parking space for workers, therapists, etc. We'll have to get a living room set, dining room set, and some dressers (however, friend will need to be getting rid of her dining room and living room sets). We would be able to take whatever situation (foster) kid wise we wanted, pretty much, as there would be a way to work the room situation almost regardless. We will have work on the yard, including ants. Landlord has taken care of all issues they've had pretty quickly.

Both Houses: too far and out of the way from our place of worship but we can't, and possibly won't, find a place big enough closer to it. Even if we did, that would be making hubby's commute longer which isn't great either. Absolutely wonderful public school in subdivision. TONS of kids EVERYWHERE.

Oh weird situation: My little kids' bio-father's cousin and her family live next door to house two. HOWEVER, that is only 3 houses and a street (as a bird flies) from house 1. Really, walking it is only 7 houses and a street. It's really close. We *do* see them. If it was going to be a problem, it already would have been. I would speak to them before we moved if we chose to.

If I take friends house, I think I have a renter for my house so my landlord wouldn't be stuck. We wouldn't be breaking the lease anyway though as it is month to month now.

It seems that with all the pluses, I'd want the 2nd house, and I do. But I just feel *really* funny about moving too. So I thought I'd get some thoughts :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Did you factor in bills, like cable/internet, that you'll be responsible for?

I've never rented in a place where the landlord took care of any utilities, especially cable, unless it was an apartment. I don't know what is normal in your are, but I wouldn't expect that.

#2 does sound like it may be a better fit overall, but you have to be realistic. Can your income cover the extra rent money - almost $3000 per year - plus the needed furniture, yard work, pest control, etc.? It all adds up quickly.

Also, since the eat-in area is smaller, will you be able to entertain guests in that area? Will you have room there for another child? If not, it won't matter how much bedroom space you have.

As for the bio-family issue, my biggest concern would be with any other bio-family that might visit the cousin. Do they have appropriate boundaries?

Just to clarify: We do pay the cable and utilities now, we just pay them to our landlord. With the new landlord, we'll have to pay the cable ourselves. Electric we'll pay ourselves also, but the other stuff has to go through the landlord per the utility companies. But basically, we still PAY everything; we just pay them all at one time to one person rather than individual companies. I'm positive the cable/internet will have to be set up in our name though which does stink. I should call to see if there is a deposit on that.

My friend does pay about the same as we do for electricity. I'm not sure if that says how wasteful we are or if there are other benefits to her house. I know we have a LOT more electronics. But I also know she had it MUCH warmer in there this winter and has the tv on much of the time. I can't imagine they do less laundry. They do less daily, I know, but on a monthly basis, it should be similar (they have five girls).

Well, and obviously they manage to sit at the table in the diningroom also so though it is smaller, it isn't impossible. Also, we could probably spill onto a second table in the connected living room (they have a desk there; but we could have a table) if we grew so much as to need it. There is also an island that could have chairs pulled up to it. I considered building one of those breakfast tables also which could allow me to put a bench against the wall which would help conserve room with small kids. Of course, they'll grow up one day. Oh, and probably a silly thought, but my big kids might not live with us forever either.....lol

Just to clarify: We do pay the cable and utilities now, we just pay them to our landlord. With the new landlord, we'll have to pay the cable ourselves. Electric we'll pay ourselves also, but the other stuff has to go through the landlord per the utility companies. But basically, we still PAY everything; we just pay them all at one time to one person rather than individual companies. I'm positive the cable/internet will have to be set up in our name though which does stink. I should call to see if there is a deposit on that.

Wow, everytime we rented everything had to be in our name. I wouldn't trust a landlord to pay my utilities, but that's just me I guess.

I would check deposits. I know deposits can run high in some areas. It depends on if you've previously had service in your name in the area. Sometimes they can be rolled into the payment, sometimes they are required to even be turned on.

I didn't vote, I think it would depend on your long-term goals. Do you plan to stay in the area, do you hope to buy in the future, etc. If you plan on renting long term and the space will work for you, I'd consider house 2. If it's a stretch, if you're not sure you'll be in the area for another few years, if you're saving to buy, I'd stay put and deal with it.