Menu

If you have read One Thousand Gifts...

...Do you do it? Like, do you make a list of things you are thankful for?

I did for awhile and then kind of fell out of the habit. Part of what made me fall out of it was the calendar that had suggestions. I know they were just suggestions, but it became something that I was finishing as though it was a task, and I was just trying to find things that matched the descriptions. (Just part of my nature, I guess, to get the things on the list 'checked off', so to speak).

Anyway, I really should start doing it again I suppose, but like today I looked at the suggestions for the day and immediately went searching for things I'm thankful for in red, white, and blue. :lol: :rolleyes:

Some things never change I guess...

I thought the book was OK. I like the idea of remembering to always be grateful, which I picked up elsewhere many years ago. Sometimes I remember to be, sometimes I don't. It's always a better day when I remember how bountiful my life is. But I don't have a system for doing that.

I read the book and was profoundly moved by it. I started a list...but haven't gotten very far. Nevertheless, I still consider myself "doing it". I'm not sure what you are talking about with a calendar...I didn't see any calendar and I would not want to go by that. I also am not nearly so prosaic or poetic as her so my few entries are just truly things that I'm grateful for. I almost didn't read it because I was afraid it was just an "Oprah like" book but I became a believer in expressing true gratitude to the Lord and the book showed me ways to notice even the small things.

I was incredibly effected by that book. For instance, we have been out of our house for almost FOUR weeks now because of a hot water heater leak, and the floor had to all be pulled up,and and and...The insurance company is paying for hotel and food but not NOW which gives us major cash flow problems. I am out of my element trying to deal with contractors and adjustors while DH works. We started school two days before we had to be out. Everything has been so stressful. But largely because of that book, I have had a steadiness. Gratitude and contentment are at the center of my life and so I have recognized that this is stressful but we still have so much. I loved it.

And a calendar? Where do you find this?

http://www.aholyexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/JulyJoyDare.pdf

She just started doing this Joy Dare this year, I believe. :)

I loved the book, too. You know how she talks about the time when she was in a slump and felt kind of like 'what's the point?' I think I'm wavering on that right now. I have only gotten to like 260 and I think the last I wrote in it (the little notebook I keep for counting gifts) was in February. Idky. :confused:

Yes, I do write in mine. There are times I forget but I always come back to it. Especially when I find myself complaining, seeing my glass as half-empty and being a pessimist. I have so much to be thankful for!!

I have about 21 journals and the one that has my first 1,000 gifts (the other journals are prayers, verses and thoughts, outpourings) is by far my favorite. I don't really want anyone to read my other journals when I'm gone but I hope my boys will someday enjoy reading about my "gifts" since my boys and hubby are what I'm most thankful for!

I make sure I buy the most beautiful journal since I want to be drawn to it:001_smile:. It just makes it that more special!!

I loved this book. It did profoundly affect me. I have been trying so hard to be grateful and offer thanks even in the bad times. The book of James also deeply impacted me...count it all joy (I mean really?)

Alas, like you, I started to feel like I was trying to complete the next task on my to do list. I did find on her website a paper that has all seven days of the week with a list for seven things to be thankful for (without any suggestions.) http://www.aholyexperience.com/7-gifts-free-printable-10-helps-for-moms/ This is a little easier for me. I had to force myself to just "let it go" if I didn't get seven things for the day.

I loved the ideas that the author discussed but the book itself I hated. I just really, REALLY dislike her writing style.

A LOT!

About halfway through I wanted to poke my eyes out so I gave up. I did start a "list" in a journal but I don't add to it daily.

Her writing style took some getting used to, but I did enjoy the book a lot. I found myself noticing "gifts" and thinking about how I would word them in a journal to sound so poetic like hers. I did start a list, but I haven't written in it in a while. Not that I'm not thankful for the gifts around me, I just get busy and don't stop to write them down!

After 2011, when we had 4 funerals and a move, I was deflated. A friend suggested reading through Psalms and another friend mentioned Ann Voskamp's website. I am still reading through Psalms and recording my blessings.

Disregard the suggestions and write what comes to your mind. It will bless you.

I loved the ideas that the author discussed but the book itself I hated. I just really, REALLY dislike her writing style.

A LOT!

About halfway through I wanted to poke my eyes out so I gave up. I did start a "list" in a journal but I don't add to it daily.

Yes, the writing style may be something to get used to. I found I had to re-read a few sentences. Perhaps she intended it that way?

I WANTED to like this book. I really tried hard. But I couldn't. The writing was awful and the theology is sometimes questionable. A reviewer on Amazon referred to it as "self-indulgent literary rubbish" and I pretty much agree. It makes me sad because it COULD have been great. So yes, the goal to be thankful every day is something I try to stick to and I have so much to be grateful for. But the book? Ick.

...Do you do it? Like, do you make a list of things you are thankful for?

I did for awhile and then kind of fell out of the habit. Part of what made me fall out of it was the calendar that had suggestions. I know they were just suggestions, but it became something that I was finishing as though it was a task, and I was just trying to find things that matched the descriptions. (Just part of my nature, I guess, to get the things on the list 'checked off', so to speak).

Anyway, I really should start doing it again I suppose, but like today I looked at the suggestions for the day and immediately went searching for things I'm thankful for in red, white, and blue. :lol: :rolleyes:

Some things never change I guess...

I did for like 4-5 months. I also had a hard time some days finding things to match the suggestions. I thought I will just write down three things without the prompts and then I just stopped doing it.:lol: I really liked the book and I love her blog. I feel like I am able to appreciate even the small things more now.:001_smile:

I WANTED to like this book. I really tried hard. But I couldn't. The writing was awful and the theology is sometimes questionable. A reviewer on Amazon referred to it as "self-indulgent literary rubbish" and I pretty much agree. It makes me sad because it COULD have been great. So yes, the goal to be thankful every day is something I try to stick to and I have so much to be grateful for. But the book? Ick.

:iagree:

Heather,

I agree with the questionable theology. I like her blog and read it sometimes but the book didn't set well with me for whatever reason. The goal to be thankful every day IS something I can get behind. For awhile, I wrote things down in my planner/calendar but have gotten away from that. Right before I go to sleep I "review" my day and thank the Lord for all my blessings.:)

:iagree: