Menu

July 29-August 3

which is it?  

1. 1. which is it?

• Last week of July
    • First week of August
    • other of course

Okay context might help.

DD12 is at aunties house this month doing a counsellor in training program at the YMCA. AUnty and I agreed she would do her actual working hours the last 2 weeks of July and then come home. Apparently we have different thoughts on what the last 2 weeks are. DD's birthday is July 26, she will officially be a teen, I thought she was done the 27th and then we would have a big celebration that weekend. I learned today that no aunty told them the week of her birthday(which I count as the last week) and then the week ending aug 4. We go to family bible camp on August 6th. SO now not only do I miss my own daughter's birthday I also can't do a family celebration until we are done at bible camp. I am upset by this.

Clearly sister and I have different views of that week. I call it the first week of August because the majority of the days in it are in August. She calls it the last week of July because the last couple days of July are in it.

In the end the commitment has been made for dd to complete those weeks working at those camps so she will stick with those weeks. My sister says, why don't you call on that weekend and we can schedule something for her birthday. Um Excuse me! Schedule to see my own freaking daughter?

Given my emotions today, and my ex & son deciding to extend his visit an extra 4 days, so he is no longer coming home this wednesday and now finding out dd will be gone an extra week, has me a bit upset.

I just wanted to see what other people thought that week was called. Clearly it was a misunderstanding between my sister and I, but I don't think I am the only one that would call that the first week of August.

I admit I am more emotional today, and already felt like my kids should be home and having everyone extend stays and just spring it on me is putting me close to the brink.

So all of that to give the context of the question. Perhaps I am the only one thinking the way I do. Nothing will change dd's plans. I just want to feel right lol

I voted other. I would give dates if I was referring to that week and not refer to it as either the first week of Aug or last week of July. To me the last week of July is the last full week of July and the first week of August is the first full week of August. Unless there's only a one day overlap from the other month. But to me, the week you're referring to is pretty much half and half. It's just begging for misunderstanding. Sorry you're going to have to wait on the family celebration. :grouphug:

I tend to look at what month the Monday falls on and call the week that. Having that many days in August, I would probably use the word "full" to talk about the last full week in July. Or the last Monday in July/first Wednesday in August. I would not call it the first week of August. In the end, I would clarify dates. We had an issue with our violin teacher being gone "the last week of July." Our lessons are on Wednesday (August 1.). She leaves July 29.

Edited by snickelfritz

Given your explanation, I would tend to agree with your sister. Also given your explanation, it would all be a moot point because I would tell said sister that there was a misunderstanding, and that dd would be heading home when I had originally planned to celebrate her birthday. Can I say, very, very gently, that I must really be missing something because I don't understand why your sister would have any say in this (it's much trickier with your ex, obviously). :grouphug:

Given your explanation, I would tend to agree with your sister. Also given your explanation, it would all be a moot point because I would tell said sister that there was a misunderstanding, and that dd would be heading home when I had originally planned to celebrate her birthday. Can I say, very, very gently, that I must really be missing something because I don't understand why your sister would have any say in this (it's much trickier with your ex, obviously). :grouphug:

She doesn't beyond the fact dd is staying with her in order to do this program at the Y. I won't pull dd out because part of joining the CIT program was a commitment to do the 2 weeks of camp, to pull her home at the time I had understood it to be would make her break her commitment to the program, not something I want dd doing.

The fact that my sister seems to think she has a say in when I see dd is part of what is ticking me off so much right now. I will allow dd to see through her commitments, that is important to me, but sister stepped in it today when commenting that we would schedule a time to celebrate with dd.

As to sister telling them what weeks. technically because she is from out of town dd should not have been allowed to do this program. There is no YMCA near us, the one she is doing this at is in the city 2 hours from me. Sister signed her up through their account and just told them dd was staying with them for a while, which is true. DD had to put in an application, have an interview, takes a week of training and at the end of her 2 weeks gets a certificate of hours and a letter of recommendation as the start of a resume building file. Sister has a couple weeks off work inbetween dd's training and dd's camp weeks so she was taking dd camping with them to the dinosaur museum and a few other places. Basically the same trip my ds13 did last summer. once back they have a few days and then dd starts her camps.

I won't punish dd or the program because sister and I had a misunderstanding. lesson learned, to clarify specific dates in the future.

She doesn't beyond the fact dd is staying with her in order to do this program at the Y. I won't pull dd out because part of joining the CIT program was a commitment to do the 2 weeks of camp, to pull her home at the time I had understood it to be would make her break her commitment to the program, not something I want dd doing.

The fact that my sister seems to think she has a say in when I see dd is part of what is ticking me off so much right now. I will allow dd to see through her commitments, that is important to me, but sister stepped in it today when commenting that we would schedule a time to celebrate with dd.

As to sister telling them what weeks. technically because she is from out of town dd should not have been allowed to do this program. There is no YMCA near us, the one she is doing this at is in the city 2 hours from me. Sister signed her up through their account and just told them dd was staying with them for a while, which is true. DD had to put in an application, have an interview, takes a week of training and at the end of her 2 weeks gets a certificate of hours and a letter of recommendation as the start of a resume building file. Sister has a couple weeks off work inbetween dd's training and dd's camp weeks so she was taking dd camping with them to the dinosaur museum and a few other places. Basically the same trip my ds13 did last summer. once back they have a few days and then dd starts her camps.

I won't punish dd or the program because sister and I had a misunderstanding. lesson learned, to clarify specific dates in the future.

Oh wow, I just reread it and realized I misunderstood. :tongue_smilie: I had thought she was staying an extra week just for fun, and missed the line about the actual work week being that week. I didn't think you were a major pushover or anything, so I was kind of surprised based on what I first thought! :lol: Yes, I would feel the same way. Once again, late-night posting turns out not to be worth it!! :lol:

So all of that to give the context of the question. Perhaps I am the only one thinking the way I do. Nothing will change dd's plans. I just want to feel right lol

:grouphug:

I would have had the same misunderstanding. I would not consider "the last two weeks of July" to extend into August.

Okay context might help.

DD12 is at aunties house this month doing a counsellor in training program at the YMCA. AUnty and I agreed she would do her actual working hours the last 2 weeks of July and then come home. Apparently we have different thoughts on what the last 2 weeks are. DD's birthday is July 26, she will officially be a teen, I thought she was done the 27th and then we would have a big celebration that weekend. I learned today that no aunty told them the week of her birthday(which I count as the last week) and then the week ending aug 4. We go to family bible camp on August 6th. SO now not only do I miss my own daughter's birthday I also can't do a family celebration until we are done at bible camp. I am upset by this.

Clearly sister and I have different views of that week. I call it the first week of August because the majority of the days in it are in August. She calls it the last week of July because the last couple days of July are in it.

In the end the commitment has been made for dd to complete those weeks working at those camps so she will stick with those weeks. My sister says, why don't you call on that weekend and we can schedule something for her birthday. Um Excuse me! Schedule to see my own freaking daughter?

Given my emotions today, and my ex & son deciding to extend his visit an extra 4 days, so he is no longer coming home this wednesday and now finding out dd will be gone an extra week, has me a bit upset.

I just wanted to see what other people thought that week was called. Clearly it was a misunderstanding between my sister and I, but I don't think I am the only one that would call that the first week of August.

I admit I am more emotional today, and already felt like my kids should be home and having everyone extend stays and just spring it on me is putting me close to the brink.

I find your logic flawless. :D Seriously, I would have thought the exact same as you in this situation. I voted 1st week in Aug. before reading the context because more of the days are in Aug. And, if someone says to me "....the last week in July" I would tend to think that they mean the last full week.

Warning, side rant ahead:

Unfortunately, you are probably in bad company if I agree with you because I have been slammed for nitpicking when calculating ages or years of age. For example 2 people, one born in 1970 and one in 1980. They are 10 yrs apart? Well, if one is end of 9/70 and the other is beginning 1/80. Well that is 9yrs and 3/4ish months. The rules of math say that you round DOWN in this instance. :D Therefore, these people are 9 yrs apart! :rant:

I voted other because the week is split pretty evenly between two months. I'd probably refer to it as the week of July 29th, or the week that's the end of July/ beginning of August.

This is exactly what I'd have said.

I would not have understood "the last two weeks of July" to include the partial week that runs into August. :grouphug:

Cat