Menu

Speech Therapy at home?

ByGrace3

DS has some articulation issues. A friend who is a speech pathologist has done 2 evaluations for us. One last year and one this year, and offered some handouts and things to help. I really haven't looked at them much, but I need to. I know his speech is something I need to prioritize. I have really put off phonics and learning to read because of speech, but he is about to start K and I need to either buckle down or send him to speech. I would love to send him to speech but it is sooooo expensive. (on a side note, if you sent your child to speech for articulation, how long did they have to go?)

Anyone successfully done speech at home? What did you use?

ds struggles the most with r,l,s,th and blends with those, but there are others as well. He just started getting the /f/ and we are working on that. If it matters, he really struggles with tongue placement. I see him really work to put it where I tell him, but it is a really big struggle...not sure if that means anything. He is beginning to get the /l/ by itself but can't blend it yet.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!!

Edited by ByGrace3

Check out your local public school......they offer free speech therapy. You don't have to enroll with school. Every state and county are different so check into that.

My middle dc took 1 year of speech therapy at our local public school before entering K(she was in public school for K....then I pulled her out). The speech therapist gave me a sheet that has the articulation guidelines per age.

Consider addressing the _______sound at the age of _______.

3 yr: b,p,t,d,m,n,w,h

4 yr: k,g,f,v

6 yr: r,l,y,ng, vocalic r

7 yr: s,z,sh,ch,dg,zh,th

8 yr: blends

Hope this helps a little! :001_smile:

Check out your local public school......they offer free speech therapy. You don't have to enroll with school. Every state and county are different so check into that.

My middle dc took 1 year of speech therapy at our local public school before entering K(she was in public school for K....then I pulled her out). The speech therapist gave me a sheet that has the articulation guidelines per age.

Consider addressing the _______sound at the age of _______.

3 yr: b,p,t,d,m,n,w,h

4 yr: k,g,f,v

6 yr: r,l,y,ng, vocalic r

7 yr: s,z,sh,ch,dg,zh,th

8 yr: blends

Hope this helps a little! :001_smile:

Thanks, the public school system help is only for kids enrolled. Homeschool kids don't qualify for help. :glare:

While waiting for people with more experience to reply, do a search on the boards. There has been a lot of discussion on ways to do speech at home and some books have been recommended. Our library had some of them.

I finally got my son in for an assessment in April. We are in a state where homeschoolers get speech through the district. I've seen a large improvement in only 3 sessions past the assessment.

I watched the sessions so I know what to say regarding tongue position with my son. He's also pretty motivated and is listening to me when I correct him. I'd tried working with him on my own but just wasn't able to get through to him or have enough patience to work with him. I'm really glad I took him in. I don't know how it would have been if it were out of pocket though. Would insurance cover any of it?

With my son, it's the r-blends and final l sounds. We're off for the summer, starting up again with speech in September. I imagine he'll be done by Christmas... but we'll see.

While waiting for people with more experience to reply, do a search on the boards. There has been a lot of discussion on ways to do speech at home and some books have been recommended. Our library had some of them.

I finally got my son in for an assessment in April. We are in a state where homeschoolers get speech through the district. I've seen a large improvement in only 3 sessions past the assessment.

I watched the sessions so I know what to say regarding tongue position with my son. He's also pretty motivated and is listening to me when I correct him. I'd tried working with him on my own but just wasn't able to get through to him or have enough patience to work with him. I'm really glad I took him in. I don't know how it would have been if it were out of pocket though. Would insurance cover any of it?

With my son, it's the r-blends and final l sounds. We're off for the summer, starting up again with speech in September. I imagine he'll be done by Christmas... but we'll see.

Insurance won't cover any of it. The evaluation alone starts at $700 and goes up from there depending on which tests they administer. :001_huh:

Okay in our state you pay taxes to the public school so they have to help. But we did not to use them.

Also, we had his hearing checked before the speech evaluation to make sure his speech was not due to him not being able to hear.

We waited until DS 9.5 because that is when we where told he should be able to articulate R's. (this happened with dd too) They tested him and discovered he had problems with th,s,f,and v too.

That being said he goes for 1 hour each week and then we do the homework from them daily. He has been in ST since March 28th and 2 weeks ago he passed out of everything, but R's and Th. So around 2 months.

Now if we had a do over this is what we would do:

Have him tested at and earlier age.(which you have)

Do ST they way we are now 1 hour weekly with daily homework.

Also, I would have started him on All About Spelling at an early age.

This program is a big help and I highly recommend you using it with your child. The relation between speaking and spelling is huge. This program has helped ds to self correct by sound. Example he used to say "bath" - "baff "and so he spelled it baff, but by segmenting words with AAS he can realize his mistakes and self correct. As noted he has not passed the speech portion on TH, but he now can segment and spell words with TH correctly.

We also used color phonics at around you child's age and repeated a year later, but that did not seem to help one bit.

Wishing you the best - I do believe with the proper guidance you can use material and help your child at home.

We are in a similar situation with not being able to afford private speech therapy and having to rely on the school's speech therapy. Not sure which state you are in, but in VA, kids don't have to go to K until they are 6. So at age 5, I sent in an opt-out letter saying my son wasn't ready for K. We were able to get speech 3x/week for the year he was 5. This coming school year, as a homeschooled K, he only gets 1 day/week.

I was reluctant to start reading with my son, but I found that many of the beginning exercises the therapist gave as homework were similar to the first lessons in Phonics Pathways - blending sounds like BA BO BI BE. I have SLOWLY been working him through PP and I really believe it's helped him as much as the therapy. Seeing the sounds really seems to help him to avoid dropping sounds or switching out other sounds in words.

It sounds as if your son has many of the same trouble sounds, but I couldn't say how long therapy takes to correct these as we are still going through it. Sadly, his therapist says he has many, many, many more years of speech ahead.

Also, do you have a Scottish Rite near you? We have a college near us that offers speech therapy, done by the speech therapy students, at a reduced rate that works with the Scottish Rite.

Gwen

We are in a similar situation with not being able to afford private speech therapy and having to rely on the school's speech therapy. Not sure which state you are in, but in VA, kids don't have to go to K until they are 6. So at age 5, I sent in an opt-out letter saying my son wasn't ready for K. We were able to get speech 3x/week for the year he was 5. This coming school year, as a homeschooled K, he only gets 1 day/week.

That is a good way to possibly get around it! When they're listed as "preschool", they have to help regardless... unless your school system has pulbic preschool. Mine doesn't (though my state allows homeschoolers to get services, so we're using the public school even though DS2 is homeschooling K, and the school knows that).

I was reluctant to start reading with my son, but I found that many of the beginning exercises the therapist gave as homework were similar to the first lessons in Phonics Pathways - blending sounds like BA BO BI BE. I have SLOWLY been working him through PP and I really believe it's helped him as much as the therapy. Seeing the sounds really seems to help him to avoid dropping sounds or switching out other sounds in words.

It sounds as if your son has many of the same trouble sounds, but I couldn't say how long therapy takes to correct these as we are still going through it. Sadly, his therapist says he has many, many, many more years of speech ahead.

Also, do you have a Scottish Rite near you? We have a college near us that offers speech therapy, done by the speech therapy students, at a reduced rate that works with the Scottish Rite.

Gwen

That is a good way to possibly get around it! When they're listed as "preschool", they have to help regardless... unless your school system has pulbic preschool. Mine doesn't (though my state allows homeschoolers to get services, so we're using the public school even though DS2 is homeschooling K, and the school knows that).

I wish I would have thought of that. Not sure if it would have worked, but it would have been worth a shot if I hadn't sent in my letter of intent 3 days ago. :glare:

I feel your pain! My son is 8, and while the public school evaluated him for me, they said I would have to enroll him in *any* school in the district before they could help him. Really??? I ran into another homeschooler who is a speech pathologist, and she said she would work with him in exchange for guitar lessons for her son (which my husband teaches). So I am super happy to try this out because the at-home thing wasn't working, and we can't afford speech therapy.

If you could do what a pp said, and "hold him back" so he could get help for this year, that might be just what he needs.

Good luck!

We have been using Super Star Speech. They have a few books to choose from, we use the one for S, Z, and Sh since those are the sounds that need work. It is a helpful book written for families doing speech therapy at home. (We also saw a speech therapist for an evaluation, and she felt that it was something that we could work on at home with 15 minutes of drills each day.) The book is helpful in giving tips on how to teach a child to pronounce each sound. It is full of activities and word lists to make practice fun! Our major hurdle is remembering to do the practice every day - it seems to take a backseat to other school work.

Here's a link to one of the books on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Star-Speech-Therapy-Simple/dp/0979804159/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340628990&sr=1-1&keywords=super+star+speech

They sell an e-book version on Currclick, which is what I have. This is less expensive, and one can just print off the drill/activity sheets from the computer. I bought mine when it was on sale.

http://www.currclick.com/product/21231/Super-Star-Speech%3B-Speech-Therapy-Made-Simple?it=1

HTH. :001_smile:

My son, now 7yrs, had problems with his speech and only after I started to teach him his phonics at 4yrs, and he started to learn to read (Reading Eggs) did he understand the sounds that were needed to make words.

He started to correct himself whilst speaking and I honestly believe that it was his exposure to reading and phonics that helped/fixed his speech problem and I don't believe a therapist would have been able to do it any faster.

My sister's eldest also has problems with her speech and they have spend hundreds on therapy with little return. I have had constant pressure from my family to take my DS to a therapist and I am now proud to say he no longer needs to. Time could also have paved the way for his improvement, we'll never know.

Also have a look on you tube there are some tricks that you can teach your child when they get stuck on certain sounds. For example how to say /g/ and /j/, they are said the same way but you drop your jaw when you say /j/.

Good luck :001_smile:

Edited by farming_mum

We have done speech therapy at home. LiPS http://www.ganderpublishing.com/LiPS.html

is wonderful in teaching how to place the tongue, shape the mouth, etc. and it has reading components to it. Sometimes there's more going on than just speech issues, but they show up first as speech problems.

Honestly, I'd strongly suggest getting a speech therapist's evaluation so you have someone else's perspective and should there be more than speech, you'll have some early documentation that may be useful in getting the proper diagnosis.

We have been using Super Star Speech. They have a few books to choose from, we use the one for S, Z, and Sh since those are the sounds that need work. It is a helpful book written for families doing speech therapy at home. (We also saw a speech therapist for an evaluation, and she felt that it was something that we could work on at home with 15 minutes of drills each day.) The book is helpful in giving tips on how to teach a child to pronounce each sound. It is full of activities and word lists to make practice fun! Our major hurdle is remembering to do the practice every day - it seems to take a backseat to other school work.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Star-Speech-Therapy-Simple/dp/0979804159/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340628990&sr=1-1&keywords=super+star+speech

They sell an e-book version on Currclick, which is what I have. This is less expensive, and one can just print off the drill/activity sheets from the computer. I bought mine when it was on sale.

http://www.currclick.com/product/21231/Super-Star-Speech%3B-Speech-Therapy-Made-Simple?it=1

:iagree:My DD is 6 1/2 and this is what we have used with her for her difficulties with the r, s & th sounds. It has worked really well for us.

We have done speech therapy at home. LiPS http://www.ganderpublishing.com/LiPS.html

is wonderful in teaching how to place the tongue, shape the mouth, etc. and it has reading components to it. Sometimes there's more going on than just speech issues, but they show up first as speech problems.

Honestly, I'd strongly suggest getting a speech therapist's evaluation so you have someone else's perspective and should there be more than speech, you'll have some early documentation that may be useful in getting the proper diagnosis.

thanks for the link, I will check it out! I did have him evaluated, just privately. I Also, I have had his hearing checked to rule that out as well.

This looks great, thanks!

The first speech therapist we had recommended Earobics, an computer game. I didn't seem to help so much with making sounds for my son, but it may for others.

My county, since we pay taxes our boy could go to the school, but we do a private person as we felt that one on one would work better for our son. He had moderate-severe speech issues as he was born with a cleft soft palate and some other facial structure issues.

One thing I can say is that as the speech therapy started to click, the reading improved.

Also, have his hearing & ears checked by an Ear, Nose & Throat dr to be sure there are no issues there. for my son the ENT said it was like trying to learn to speak while everyone around you sounded like they were underwater. Since they are young they don't know that it is not right, and you can't always go by whether they've had ear infections or not, because if the fluid is there all the time or most of the time, kids learn to deal with it, especially if it is not hurting. The condition of my son's ears when we saw the ENT was terrible, but as he said, he thinks it is normal because he has known no difference, basically he was in a state of constant ear infections but since there was no fever or crying, how was mom to know:confused: The pediatricians never indicated there was problem, the ENT said that is common among them as often unless it is a noticeable infection, peds miss the problem since ENT is not their specialty.

Are you sure your state does not allow homeschoolers to use public schools? Our state allows it, but leaves it up to the school. We had a GrEaT experience with our local PS. Truly wonderful and such a helpful blessing.

Honestly, it's really really hard doing it on your own. R is not so hard but those s and th blends are very difficult.

I would pay the $ to get started but try to stretch out the therapy for better affordability. Another idea is to check local universities. They often offer free or very reduced prices from students working under the supervision of the college as part of the students' training.

Are you sure your state does not allow homeschoolers to use public schools? Our state allows it, but leaves it up to the school. We had a GrEaT experience with our local PS. Truly wonderful and such a helpful blessing.

Honestly, it's really really hard doing it on your own. R is not so hard but those s and th blends are very difficult.

I would pay the $ to get started but try to stretch out the therapy for better affordability. Another idea is to check local universities. They often offer free or very reduced prices from students working under the supervision of the college as part of the students' training.

I have some friends who have recently gone through this and were told they could not because of homeschooling. I can check myself, but where would I ask? I am new to all this . . . .:confused: Even if we could get him in to the public school speech, which I don't think I can, I have heard it is not very good. :glare:

Why is speech so expensive and not covered by insurance. Seems ridiculous! :glare:

My boy goes to speech therapy. Our insurance pays for 50 visits a year. At age 5 he went twice a week, it took a while for us to see any progress. I like to observe the sessions so I can see what needs to be practiced at home. He is now going once a week. He has made major progress and can now say in conversation all the sounds he was missing before except "r". He just turned 7. He does seem to still not be clear all the time. I am really hoping we can wrap up speech therapy soon.

I wish we had started speech much earlier.

You need to check your state regulations regarding special education. In NY state homeschoolers have the same status as private school students, in that they are allowed to use the public school special education services. NY state regards it as an Americans with Disabilities Act mandate. I do have to bring my son to the ps for speech, OT and PT. We have also had a really wonderful experience there. We did have to 'enroll' my son in the ps to get the services, but that has been nothing more than a paper signed once years ago. I still have to file all my hs'ing paperwork for him etc.

Does your community have an agency that provides services to children with developmental delays? In my community, they are the ones that hire and oversee all therapy. The school district contracts with the agency to provide therapists. They can also do their own evaluations etc. So, if you have a place like that it might be a place to start for an evaluation...maybe?

THere's been some interesting studies (mainly in the UK) and much of the time the articulation improves just as fast and as well without therapy, especially if the therapist uses a mixture of styles. (I tried to find the ref to the paper, but can't find it. I researched the topic back when I was deciding for my dd, but didn't keep the links.) This isn't true for extreme cases or if hearing is impaired, but in a preschooler, I would start by making time for phonics.

With both my girls, their articulation was poor and with both the thing that fixed it was LEARING TO READ. They needed to SEE the words to hear the fine differences. My 2nd would ask me to write certain words she had trouble saying on a post it note so she could go and read it (I would write it phonetically). I realized that I was exactly the same way when I learned a foreign language (I have to read the word when I listen to it to be able to hear all the sounds).

Soooo, if your kid tends to the visual, you may find that teaching reading resolves the problem. I suspect that is also why most speech issues aren't formally diagnosed until a child reaches 8yo (when they can usually read fairly well):

http://campbell.k12.va.us/tes/msisk/media/articulationnorms.pdf

Notice how many of the sounds would be considered normal (well 10% of kids) to not master before age 7 or 8!

My 3rd child is learning to read early and his speech is much clearer, especially on things like diphthongs. I think reading, phonetic awareness, and speech are just very connected. I would certainly use a reading program that really stressed the articulation of the sounds (K12's does a great job talking about voiced/unvoiced and tongue position as well as phonetic awareness of sounds at beginning middle/end) -- honestly most K phonetic programs are very similar to what he would be doing in a speech therapy.

So, why not try to start by making time to start phonics with intense phonetic awareness. Make a recording of speech now and in a month and see if there is improvement.

I second contacting the local universities. My daughter has been attending two hour long sessions a week. Each session is $5. They need students for their students to work with. There is a speech pathologist who oversees the work. The college student is motivated because they are getting graded and they are young and cool in the eyes of a kid. I have two friends who are speech pathologists at the local public schools and this is the route they recommended.

Is his age in your siggy correct? He is 5yo? All of the sounds that you mention you would not expect him to be able to say at that age. Many kids can, but he would not be considered delayed. I would wait to see if those sounds come in on their own in the next year or two.

I also agree with the PP who suggested that doing phonics may help this process. Some kids don't pay a lot of attention to how what they say compares to what someone else is saying. Phonics has a way of focussing a child on those sounds without drawing a lot of attention to the deficit.

Ditto phonics helping. We had vast improvement when I started phonics.

Interestingly, he confuses m and n in reading, and that was his initial speech issue.

Btw, my son was able to qualify for speech even though he technically had all the sounds for his age. They accepted him because no one, including immediate family, could understand him. Intelligibility is part of the evaluation.

Our local school didn't want to start with my son until he was 2nd grade. Homeschoolers can get speech therapy here though maybe not as much as enrolled kids. I felt better having a therapist working with him. My son, at 2nd grade, had issues with th, r, l, and s. He's doing a lot better but still has some issues especially with his l.

I purchased Super Star Speech. The author has even answered questions for me and made specific suggestions for my son's particular issues. I think she's absolutely great and her materials are as well.

I think your kiddo is young to be concerned but I did take my son in for an evaluation in K initially. They wanted to see if he matured out of the issues and he didn't but I know some kids do.

Is his age in your siggy correct? He is 5yo? All of the sounds that you mention you would not expect him to be able to say at that age. Many kids can, but he would not be considered delayed. I would wait to see if those sounds come in on their own in the next year or two.

I also agree with the PP who suggested that doing phonics may help this process. Some kids don't pay a lot of attention to how what they say compares to what someone else is saying. Phonics has a way of focussing a child on those sounds without drawing a lot of attention to the deficit.

Yes he is five. I know there are some sounds he still has "time" for, but he is behind in several.

I know he could grow out of it, but I really think it is more than that. He seems to really struggle with tongue placement.

Lots of g reat ideas here, thank you! I will look into state laws and the local university, as well as some resources for us to get started.

Thanks!

Yes he is five. I know there are some sounds he still has "time" for, but he is behind in several.

I know he could grow out of it, but I really think it is more than that. He seems to really struggle with tongue placement.

Lots of g reat ideas here, thank you! I will look into state laws and the local university, as well as some resources for us to get started.

Thanks!

My son's issue is tongue placement too and he didn't grow out of it at all. I think it doesn't hurt to try to address it. The Super Star Speech author had some specific suggestions for me for my son's tongue stuff. For example, she had us practice th, t in the mirror so he could see the tongue between the teeth for th and in and up for t. This really helped him with tongue awareness I thought. But he was 8 at that point and with some major issues in that (his tongue was out for l and in for th for example!). Her suggestion for your child's issues and age might be different of course.

My son had severe articulation problems.

Do you know if your son is stimulable on his sounds? As far as I know -- this means, can he basically copy a sound when your speech therapist friend is there?

I agree with Merry Gardens... my son had similar speech therapy to Lips.

Some of his articulation errors were caused by not hearing the difference between similar-sounding sounds.

For some of his articulation errors (like not saying th) he clearly knew what he was trying to say.

For others -- he had many cases of hearing 2 or 3 sounds as one sound -- as if he thought some words were homophones that were really separate words, b/c they sounded the same to him.

He also had problems with l and r blends. He was saying all l and r blends as just w. He could not know that there were l and r sounds in these words. "Fog" and "frog" were the same to him. etc.

I have heard other places about kids speaking better and knowing what sounds were in certain words, better, after reading instruction.

My son couldn't begin to learn to read until these issues began to be dealt with, though. Literally -- he couldn't learn letter sounds for about 10 letters. He couldn't learn to segment sounds in a word, or to blend. He was stuck at zero.

I couldn't work with him on speech for emotional reasons. Also, he was not stimulable for many sounds so speech therapy was intense, exhausting, and frustrating -- though the SLPs build a lot of fun in.

I did do a huge amount with him on phonemic awareness and learning to blend and segment -- first to do these things at all, then for blends.

If it stays a problem -- it can make learning to read difficult. Like Merry said -- ask at the Special Needs board.

My son was having problems in life b/c he was hard to understand -- he had trouble in playing with kids and things like that. Many times he cried b/c I couldn't understand him. Or, just said "never mind" after wanting to tell me something, when I didn't know what he said. These are bad things -- if you are seeing this -- he probably really needs speech therapy. My son went to a university clinic that has a sliding scale. However -- they only take more severe kids and on the questionairre they are asking questions about how the speech problem is impacting daily life or academics.

He is doing well now, though. He is reading right at grade level and he is always understandable by me now. He is not always understandable by people in general but it is much better.

I didn't have to read all the other replies, but I HIGHLY recommend a book from nathhan.org I bought and used with my son with these same issues as the original poster.

He is now a very articulate speaker:)

The book costs about $50 and was made for homeschoolers. Very easy for the teacher! Not hard for the student! There are rave reviews for it. Using it is SO much cheaper and less of a hassle than using the public school system.

Pm me if you need to know more.

I didn't have to read all the other replies, but I HIGHLY recommend a book from nathhan.org I bought and used with my son with these same issues as the original poster.

He is now a very articulate speaker:)

The book costs about $50 and was made for homeschoolers. Very easy for the teacher! Not hard for the student! There are rave reviews for it. Using it is SO much cheaper and less of a hassle than using the public school system.

Pm me if you need to know more.

Sorry-the link should be for nathhan.org

It's called Straight Talk. We only used book one.