Menu

Pretend this is a poll

Of course. We are a team. If I were to write a dictionary definition of family it would read: Family, n. Team.

:iagree:

Wolf brags that Diva is more capable than a lot of ppl he's worked w/. Sad part is, it's true.

Diva can cook, we're constantly expanding her knowledge in that, do laundry, etc. I remember having to teach a college student in my class how to do laundry, make eggs, Kraft Dinner, spaghetti...her mother had done it all, and she'd literally never learned how to do the simplest things. When she didn't have $ for eating out, she ate cereal and toast :001_huh: Didn't know how to make anything else.

Only one child - yes I do ask for her help.

Even if we (the parents) could do it all, I don't think it is healthy for a child not have have some work around the house and some request for additional help occasionally.

I do think parent need to make it age appropriate. I also think they shouldn't expect to one day ask their kids to help and think that they automatically know how/what to do. Kids have to be trained on chores/helping out like everything else.

Thank you!!!

So who are these people who don't ask for help?

Maybe dc was pulling my leg, or was a bad reporter?

Judging by the college student, and other kids that my kids have brought home, I'd say no, the kiddo was probably being totally honest.

Yes, I ask my kids to help, and they are five years old.

However, one of my kids has already started commenting that I "make her do all the work." ;)

My girls are supposed to pick up after themselves and sweep the floor. I also ask them to help fold laundry, put away dishes, carry things here or there, or whatever else seems reasonable under the circumstances. Usually I'm doing chores and just asking for help with a little detail here and there.

I firmly believe that it's my job to teach my kids how to manage their lives and a household.

However, I have heard people state that they don't believe kids should do any housework etc., because it could take their focus away from schoolwork.

Absolutely, they do stuff. The only thing I do not let them do anymore is vacuum, because I don't want them using my $$$ Dyson just yet. One of these days, I will give in to their pleas, lol.

Is she an only child? I was and my mother never really asked me to do anything. Or I should say *made* me do anything. Sometimes she would say "Could you ___?" and when I didn't she would do it herself, without saying anything.

I have 3 children, there is NO WAY I could do for them all that she did for me. I turned out okay, I picked it up and handled my business on my own just fine, but I think that was luck of the draw. I could have been totally without skills to care for myself. So, with my own, I'm like you. I ask them to pitch in. Some things are just expected (without asking), put clothes in the hamper, make your bed, etc..

Absolutely, they do stuff. The only thing I do not let them do anymore is vacuum, because I don't want them using my $$$ Dyson just yet. One of these days, I will give in to their pleas, lol.

My children LOVE to vacuum with that dyson. LOVE IT. one in particular is disappointed if I get to the vacuum before he does. Turn them lose!

My 10 year old son (at the time) taught my 19 year old niece how to run a washing machine. She did know how to make her bed and use the microwave.

Honestly, I don't know how some folks have the energy/desire to do everything alone. I just can't/don't want to do everything. (And avert your eyes to my post count. I am a fast reader, and a typist who isn't much of an editor.)

I missed the OP, but from replies I'm guessing this is about being useful around the house?

My kids can do many things around the house (they're nearly 9 and 11.5). They may not do them to an adult level of efficiency, but I'm rolling with FlyLady's "housework done poorly still blesses your family" since I'm not a fabulous housekeeper myself.

That said, I've had people at the hockey rink praise Thing 2 for pulling his own bag (it has WHEELS! Why shouldn't he??). Oh, and they both pack their own gear and know that if they get to the rink without something it means they're not playing.

I have a cousin with a 12 year old son who can't make (or isn't allowed to make?) his own sandwiches. SANDWICHES. My mom has a friend with a 16 year old grandson. I hear all about how The Boy will yell and yell and yell for his mother to make him a sandwich or other food. "So she says she just makes it for him so he'll be quiet about it already. Plus then she doesn't have to clean up a huge mess in the kitchen."

I've started phrasing it as "Life Skills." These kids need to learn how to do things now so they can someday live somewhere else! :tongue_smilie:

My children LOVE to vacuum with that dyson. LOVE IT. one in particular is disappointed if I get to the vacuum before he does. Turn them lose!

I'd say that, too, but my eldest daughter, when she was 15, made the brilliant mistake of vacuuming down the stairs... The boys now sweep the stairs. It's safer for everyone involved if my beloved Dyson doesn't come tumbling down the stairs toward my beloved children again. They do vacuum downstairs, though.

It only crimped the hose, by the way, and a few years later we just ordered a new hose and snapped it in place. The teenager dodged it completely and then pointed out that it wouldn't have happened if I didn't make her vacuum. At her dad's house, she helped all the time, but they told her how unfair it was that she was expected to help out here... :glare: