Menu

Need more ideas for using yellow (summer) squash...

I can't find the exact recipe, but I made a baked dish the other day that everyone loved:

2lbs of squash, shredded (I used yellow and zucchini) *make sure you squeeze the extra moisture out before you use it*

1 onion diced or shredded

2 eggs, beaten (I added about 1/2 cup half and half to this)

salt

pepper

1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Mix together everything but the cheese. Press into a 9x13 casserole and top with the cheese. Bake at 350 until squash is tender.

I also made a mexican style casserole last night.

2lbs of sliced squash

1 chopped onion

1/2 chopped bell pepper

1 can diced chilies

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup half and half

1 cup shredded montery jack or other cheese.

Mix well and press into 9x13 baking dish. Top with crushed tortilla chips. Bake until squash is tender and bubbly.

I can't find the exact recipe, but I made a baked dish the other day that everyone loved:

2lbs of squash, shredded (I used yellow and zucchini) *make sure you squeeze the extra moisture out before you use it*

1 onion diced or shredded

2 eggs, beaten (I added about 1/2 cup half and half to this)

salt

pepper

1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Mix together everything but the cheese. Press into a 9x13 casserole and top with the cheese. Bake at 350 until squash is tender.

We do a similar recipe, but we use cheddar instead of mozzarella and parmesan and add a sleeve of crackers. Crush the crackers and mix the 2/3 of the crumbs and the cheddar into the squash, onion and egg mixture, then top with remaining crushed crackers. Bake until the top is bubbly and the crumbs are browned. :)

It's coming out of our ears here too.

Today I made pasta salad with it.

Diced squash, zucchini and peppers from my garden.

Tossed with diced sharp cheddar cheese and cooked, drained and cooled noodles.

1/2 cup Zesty Italian salad dressing.

It was yummy and my family ate all of it.

Made 3 meals worth of these Spicy Zuke Quesidillas today:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Spicy-Zucchini-Quesadillas'>http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Spicy-Zucchini-Quesadillas

I use yellow squash & zucchini inter-changeably.

It's a great meat substitute, with a bit more of the spices.

Spaghetti, Casseroles, shredded can be added to LOTS of things.

I made Zuke Bread this afternoon, and my family LOVES Zuke Pickles.

Last year, I took a regular pickle recipe and substituted zukes. They are more solid and don't get mushy like cucumbers do.

Also, try:

http://www.tasteofhome.com

http://www.allrecipes.com

for more!

we love to chop up yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms and onions and saute them with a bit of vodka, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper. It is SUPER yummy. The key to it not going to mush is having the pan hot before tossing in the veggies, then add the splashes of liquid, etc.

Creamy Fusilli with Yellow Squash and Bacon

from Martha Stuart. Amazing.

Ingredients

Coarse salt and ground pepper

8 ounces fusilli

4 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips

4 medium yellow squash (8 ounces each), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese, plus more for serving

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.

While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium. Add bacon, and cook until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain (leave bacon fat in skillet).

Place skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash and garlic to fat in skillet; season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash begins to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until liquid is evaporated and squash is tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.

Add cream and cooked pasta to skillet; toss well, and cook until cream begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in Asiago, and add enough reserved pasta water to create a sauce that coats pasta. Serve topped with reserved bacon and more cheese.

My favorite way to prepare it (thought it's not very healthy) - simmer it with a diced vidalia onion, butter, salt and pepper. Cook til super tender. Soooo good. Sprinkle with cheddar and bacon for an extra treat.

Healthier options - saute with tomatoes, garlic and onions. Take off heat and top with chopped basil. I serve this as a side, or add eggs and make an omelet.

Have you tried stuffed squash blossoms? You can make all sorts of different fillings and it slows the yellow squash avalanche. I like this one but there are tons online. http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/emerils-sauteed-squash-blossoms-stuffed-with-crab-and-goat-ricotta-cheese-recipe.htm

Creamy Fusilli with Yellow Squash and Bacon

from Martha Stuart. Amazing.

Ingredients

Coarse salt and ground pepper

8 ounces fusilli

4 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips

4 medium yellow squash (8 ounces each), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese, plus more for serving

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.

While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium. Add bacon, and cook until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain (leave bacon fat in skillet).

Place skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash and garlic to fat in skillet; season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash begins to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until liquid is evaporated and squash is tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.

Add cream and cooked pasta to skillet; toss well, and cook until cream begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in Asiago, and add enough reserved pasta water to create a sauce that coats pasta. Serve topped with reserved bacon and more cheese.

I made this and everyone loved it! Will definitely make again.