Menu

~South Carolina~

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bellaandmilly

We are in the Upstate as well. This will be our first year of homeschooling. My girls are in 3rd and 1st. I also have a 3 month old son, which should make our first year even more interesting. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest magistramater

Hi! I just moved to Northeast Columbia :-)

I'm a mom of five, the oldest is in college; educated classically since '99. Looking for likeminded friends.

Anne

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a note that I've posted several new field trips in our area - Strange Science (at Discovery Place), and Robotics and Rocketry labs (Columbia, SC). Also the deadline to register for the Mayan History camp-in (Feb. 15-16 at the SC State Museum) is approaching. For more info about these and other trips, field trips, and camps, see http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/atravel.html

I'm also planning a meet-up in Rock Hill, SC, for next week. I'll post more details soon.

Warmly,

Dianna

Hey everyone. Just wondering which option you HS under, and if you are a part of an accountability group, which group do you use?

I've never met a homeschooler who uses anything other than Option 3 :). It's the most economical, and offers the most freedom. There's a ton of Option 3 choices, and you don't have to pick one that is in your area.

Hey everyone. Just wondering which option you HS under, and if you are a part of an accountability group, which group do you use?

Hi Jillian,

I've used all three options in over 20 years of homeschooling, and I vastly prefer Option 3. The Option 3 associations differ in the amount of support they're able to offer (some have full-time or part-time staff and have office hours every day, while others have minimal office hours and you pay extra for help).

Regardless, all three options are equal legally, so it's just whatever you prefer. I don't personally know any families who homeschool under Option 1 anymore, and have heard from very few who use Option 2, and they're usually first-year homeschoolers who feel they need the accountability that organization requires (mandatory testing, curriculum approval, etc.). Once they get their feet under them, they usually move to Option 3.

The associations who partner with Carolina Homeschooler are listed here: http://www.carolinah...com/aabout.html

I recommend that you read through their websites and then choose the one that best meets the needs of your family.

Warmly,

Dianna

• 2 weeks later...

You also don't need to be in the area to use a 3 rd option group unless it's one of their requirements. I've used two different accountability groups and neither was in my city.

What SCAIHS gives you is more support...they have a curriculum room (or did when I was checking them out) and they keep your transcripts. You pay quite a bit for them though.

Dana, several of the 3rd option associations have curriculum rooms or book stores (or whatever... don't remember what they call them, either), and one even has classrooms in her building (she has her own building) where she gives classes. They also have full and part-time staff, as well as special needs support. Others plan monthly park days, field trips, moms night out, workshops, and more (the more regional associations). It's amazing how much they offer now for homeschoolers. I encourage homeschoolers to check out the options and choose the association that best meet the needs of their family.

You probably have already read about the harmful legislation that's been introduced. If you haven't, check out my legislative forum at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/social/forum/9-talk-about-legislation/

Warmly,

Dianna

I have found one inclusive group, finally...and the ladies seem wonderful. I was wondering if anyone here also knew if there was a Catholic group? I know in PA the Catholic group allowed Orthodox to join them.

What part of SC? I'm upstate and belong to a catholic coop that has, before, accepted orthodox members.

Summerville area (near Charleston). Definitely not upstate.

If you don't already have an accountability group (for third option), you might want Our Lady of Perpetual Help - they can point you toward a Catholic co-op that may accept orthodox members.

ETA: Our group was NOT a public group; I didn't know about it until I did some digging and asked around our church parish. You may want to call the local Catholic parishes and ask about homeschool co-ops. I never would have heard about the co-op I belong to, had I not heard of it THROUGH the parishes.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread. I will be moving to SC and have decided on Option 3. I feel very over whelmed in this with trying to find a group. I have been reading and reading till my head spins. I am leaning towards something in and around Greenville and that is special needs friendly. Even a co-op would be nice. Some groups mention k6, what is that? Can not be 6th grade but I thought the law was 7 year old for education. Or so I thought I read that somewhere. Annual testing I already do in my state but not sure if this is required there in SC. Also, when sending in your High School Diploma do groups keep it or return it? I saw where many list keeping it on file. I would have to figure out how to obtain a second copy, right? Any help getting my feet wet would be beneficial. I would so appreciate it.