Menu

Okay - Quinoa for me, but...

So, to my helpful recipe board buddies, who gave me ideas and recipes for Quinoa, I did make Quinoa yesterday and tonight at dinner. I made the citrus, spinach and quinoa recipe posted by Jane in NC. That was very delish! Thank you! I also used Quinoa for the stir-fry I made tonight, but I also made rice. Half of my family says they don't know if they can get on board quinoa express. :glare: Half is agreeable to it. I point out that all foods are an acquired taste and if they had all been eating quinoa rather than rice for 49 years (or less, as age dictates), they would be totally fine with quinoa.

Personally, I like it better than rice for the stir-fry. It is milder and doesn't intrude on the flavors of the stir-fry. Dh and one kid are not on board, though. I haven't decided if I'm going to let them have an easy "out" and make them rice or if I'm going to just make quinoa and give them the opportunity to develop a new taste. :D

I'm all over the Quinoa with Black Beans. I could make that tomorrow; I have all the ingredients. :hurray: I feel much healthier eating quinoa instead of rice.

Maybe rotate the two? I tend to use quinoa more in salads and for breakfast cereal. Rice is served plain or with toasted sesame oil and salt. i use only brown basmati rice. Once or twice per year I may try another rice for the heck of it. We do like wild rice....... And that, to me, is an acquired taste. It is actually a grass.

End of tutorial.:D

Did someone already share this recipe? We had it last night, and it was great. Although, I did add red bell pepper diced to it as the color is rather bland. Oh, and halved the recipe. It makes a ton!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-with-Corn-Scallions-and-Mint-235480

The above went over well with everyone here when quinoa as a rice sub sometimes doesn't go over. It subs pretty well in coucous type dishes for us.

My absolute favorite though is Spanish quinoa. I use the recipe from the Peas and Thank You cookbook, but have seen recipes other places. The sweetness of the tomato and such balances the flavor of quinoa for me.

I don't care for quinoa myself and we have had it quite a bit here. So far no acquiring going on for me though I'll eat it. My husband and two kids like it though.

Heresy! :D

Maybe rotate the two? I tend to use quinoa more in salads and for breakfast cereal. Rice is served plain or with toasted sesame oil and salt. i use only brown basmati rice. Once or twice per year I may try another rice for the heck of it. We do like wild rice....... And that, to me, is an acquired taste. It is actually a grass.

End of tutorial.:D

I remember trying wild rice before. That was a really hard sell, even for me.

My kids and I really like this recipe for breakfast http://vegweb.com/recipes/heavenly-breakfast-quinoa .

Jes

The picture doesn't do it justice, I'm thinking. :tongue_smilie:

I would keep making in an attempt for people to acquire the taste. Quinoa is super healthy.

Yeah, I'm going to keep making it, because this is what I want to eat. But I was considering making rice along with, so they can choose. But maybe that's being too nice.

Did someone already share this recipe? We had it last night, and it was great. Although, I did add red bell pepper diced to it as the color is rather bland. Oh, and halved the recipe. It makes a ton!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-with-Corn-Scallions-and-Mint-235480

The above went over well with everyone here when quinoa as a rice sub sometimes doesn't go over. It subs pretty well in coucous type dishes for us.

My absolute favorite though is Spanish quinoa. I use the recipe from the Peas and Thank You cookbook, but have seen recipes other places. The sweetness of the tomato and such balances the flavor of quinoa for me.

Mmmm! That looks really good! And I have Mint growing right out my kitchen door. I'll have to look up Spanish quinoa.

You soak the quinoa for 15-20 min before cooking, and cook it with less water than is often in other directions. It cooks up wonderfully, and doesn't have that bitterness at all.

Just google perfect quinoa recipe - I don't think I have it with me here at dd's.

Well, my hubby just wouldn't eat it if he didn't like it. And if he was hungry an hour later, he would eat a snack. So, I come from that point of view.....

I would keep serving it and ask everyone to try it each time. But, I would keep serving rice.

ETA--Or only serve it occasionally. Or serve plenty of other food.

Edited by snickelfritz

I love quinoa. I make cold salads with it this time of year, lots of veggies and chick peas and then I use Italian dressing on it. (But I add the dressing as I go so it doesn't get ruined) Sometimes making familiar dishes that have familiar flavors with a new item helps. Hope your family gets on board.

So, to my helpful recipe board buddies, who gave me ideas and recipes for Quinoa, I did make Quinoa yesterday and tonight at dinner. I made the citrus, spinach and quinoa recipe posted by Jane in NC. That was very delish! Thank you!

You are welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!

Here's another recipe from the inbox: Quinoa Berry Parfait

My kids sometimes shun quinoa. I suspect it's when I haven't rinsed it thoroughly enough (I don't buy pre-rinsed). Last time I made tabbouleh, I rinsed it, put it on to cook and there was so much sudsing that I rinsed it several more times. The kids definitely responded better than they have on other occasions, though they generally like things like quinoa pudding.