Menu

Introvert and extrovert weaknesses in homeschooling

I'm thinking about writing an article about personality types. I believe that everyone pretty much is a mix of introvert/extrovert, but have one type way more pronounced in their personality. I am like 90% introvert and 10% extrovert.

I do try to work on myself, and push myself out of my comfort zone a little bit, just because I think it is good for me. I feel that introversion has strengths and weaknesses and in homeschooling it is displayed in unique ways.

If you are an introvert, what are your personality type weaknesses?

For me, it is that I am hesitant to reach out when I need help. I stew over things, rather than talking them out with experienced people.

I spend way too much time planning and picturing how things should go, and not enough time implementing with the kids.

I have a hard time making friends and end up lonely.

I don't get my extroverted kids out enough and they start making me crazy!

Anyone else want to share how personality type has influenced the difficulties you faced in homeschooling?

Or do you think that my theory, that personality type does present unique difficulties is a bunch of hoey? Please share why you think that.

I think being mostly an introvert (who is not shy, btw. I have lots of friends, am a leader, can talk to whomever, and am not afraid of conflict, etc. I just am a person who needs time alone and recharges by myself. I feel depleted and tired after a full day of talking to people even people that I love talking to and need time to decompress instead of feeling energized by them..) is easier for a hser. I do not get lonely.

Do you ever hear extroverts say they are working on being a little more introverted?

I know, right? I wish a few of them would :glare:

I see my introversion mostly helping me homeschool. It makes it easy for me to stay home and teach/learn when I'm not freaking out that I haven't talked to anyone (besides kids) all day. I LOVE being home and having quiet time :) I don't mind getting out, but typically prefer to around people rather than with a group. I prefer things like museums, libraries, movies, and parks where people don't depend on me to interact with them or else they are bored. I do have the same issues as the original poster, I tend to enjoy the research more than the implementation and my kids are very social and tend to freak out if we don't see friends very regularly.

I think being mostly an introvert (who is not shy, btw. I have lots of friends, am a leader, can talk to whomever, and am not afraid of conflict, etc. I just am a person who needs time alone and recharges by myself. I feel depleted and tired after a full day of talking to people even people that I love talking to and need time to decompress instead of feeling energized by them..) is easier for a hser. I do not get lonely.

This is me, too. I think the drawback specific to homeschooling is that I need to recharge in quiet after being "on" for several hours, engaged with anyone. That makes it difficult to finish schoolwork on days when the kids want to drag their feet, feign ignorance or just plain fool around.

I think my tending toward extroversion (on the same scale as I tend toward introversion) friends would probably say they're on the go to social activities so much that they have trouble sitting down to do schoolwork.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I read a wonderful book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It made me feel empowered as an introvert. Being an introvert is not a disease that I must cure, whoopie :lol:!

I think that extroverts, in general, have a harder time sticking to a routine and getting schoolwork done. Introverts, in general, have a harder time going off on those rabbit trails, spur of the moment type of field trips that are so exciting in homeschooling.

I think we all need to embrace our strengths, and be aware of, but spend less time trying to fight our weaknesses.

I'm confused.:001_huh: I am very talkative, but I also need alone time, every day. Most people peg me as an extrovert because I do talk alot...but what they don't know is that I tend to dread social gatherings, unless it is soley comprised of my closest friends. I can stay home up to 10 days at a time, but the kids usually require that I leave the house once or twice a week. Anybody here know what I am?

Edited by Geo

I guess I don't see anything negative about being introverted. It's like saying tell me what's negative about having blond hair verses brown.

I'm not saying that being an introvert is a horrible terrible malady that must be cured. I am saying that, just like extroversion, there are some issues that introverts must work on.

I don't think that either style is good or bad. I hear plenty of introverts bashing extroverts for being shallow, or loud or whatever. I think that is as unfair as people calling introverts wallflowers or dull or other insults.

I think that since I am an introvert, I need to be aware of certain tendencies of my personality and try not to let myself off the hook for very important things just because "I'm an introvert and I am just like that!"

Such as... My tendency to get so lost in my own thoughts that I shut out my family.

I do agree with a PP that introversion does help my homeschooling. That is a positive. But I do forget that I NEED people from time to time. which can be a negative, if I haven't taken the time to form friendships with those around me.

What I am hoping for is a discussion about how your personality type, whether it is introversion or extroversion has influenced your homeschooling for good or for bad. The things that you need to work on doing better as an introvert or extrovert.

I'm confused.:001_huh: I am very talkative, but I also need alone time, every day. Most people peg me as an extrovert because I do talk alot...but what they don't know is that I tend to dread social gatherings, unless it is soley comprised of my closest friends. I hate navigating social situations.

me too. I enjoy social situations and getting together with friends, but I dread it.

Once I get there I'm fine, but I need much alone time after a party or even after interacting with my kids all day long.

me too. I enjoy social situations and getting together with friends, but I dread it.

Once I get there I'm fine, but I need much alone time after a party or even after interacting with my kids all day long.

OK, so....I'm an introvert. That sits fine with me. I guess my weakness is that I get "moldy" if I am alone too much. Instead of feeling peaceful, I'll get down...I guess that's loneliness. The other weakness is that I have to be coerced into leaving the house sometimes. That's not good either. I can really dig in my heels to any type of activity that requires a weekly commitment...those are the worst! I can greet a one-time field trip wih a big smile on my face, but I get really cranky when the kids want to sign up for anything weekly.

Is this what you're talking about?

Edited by Geo

OK, so....I'm an introvert. That sits fine with me. I guess my "weakness" is that I get "moldy" if I am alone too much. Instead of feeling peaceful, I'll get a down...I guess that's loneliness. The other weakness is that I have to be coerced into leaving the house sometimes. I can really dig in my heels to any type of activity that requires a weekly commitment...those are the worst! I can greet a one-time field trip wih a big smile on my face, but

I get really cranky when the kids want to join up for anything weekly.

this is exactly what I am talking about. I get lonely too. But for a long time, I didn't understand that I needed people and my down feelings were from needing a friend to talk with.

I'm thinking about writing an article about personality types. I believe that everyone pretty much is a mix of introvert/extrovert, but have one type way more pronounced in their personality. I am like 90% introvert and 10% extrovert.

I do try to work on myself, and push myself out of my comfort zone a little bit, just because I think it is good for me. I feel that introversion has strengths and weaknesses and in homeschooling it is displayed in unique ways.

If you are an introvert, what are your personality type weaknesses?

For me, it is that I am hesitant to reach out when I need help. I stew over things, rather than talking them out with experienced people.

I spend way too much time planning and picturing how things should go, and not enough time implementing with the kids.

I have a hard time making friends and end up lonely.

I don't get my extroverted kids out enough and they start making me crazy!

Anyone else want to share how personality type has influenced the difficulties you faced in homeschooling?

Or do you think that my theory, that personality type does present unique difficulties is a bunch of hoey? Please share why you think that.

I am an introvert and I concur with pretty much any drawback you mentioned.

OK, so....I'm an introvert. That sits fine with me. I guess my weakness is that I get "moldy" if I am alone too much. Instead of feeling peaceful, I'll get down...I guess that's loneliness. The other weakness is that I have to be coerced into leaving the house sometimes. That's not good either. I can really dig in my heels to any type of activity that requires a weekly commitment...those are the worst! I can greet a one-time field trip wih a big smile on my face, but I get really cranky when the kids want to sign up for anything weekly.

oh, ack! Weekly commitments! I have come to resent anything on my calendar, but the standing weekly things? Ugh. I'm fine doing things on our own, but weekly things almost always involve some kind of parental social interaction.

I agree with basically everything you all have said. I have always been introverted, though not shy! And most of the people in my life are extroverts and want to "fix" me. Dh is finally starting to get that I need my alone time just as much as he needs to get together with his friends at least once a week.

I love homeschooling because I don't have to interact with the outside world every day - no notes to teachers, no dropping off/picking up the kids conversations, nada!

I think introversion can be a strength, but like the op mentioned sometimes I get down and realize that I need a friend to talk with. The hard part is finding the right person. I push myself at times to get out and interact with others more than I would like to so that I can try to build relationships. Still, I don't feel as close to those ladies as I would like to be. :tongue_smilie:

Being an introvert and homeschooling is hard because I am with my kids all.the.time. I love them. I want to be with them. But often it's too much. Like somone else said, I tend ot shut them out more than I should, which has created children who nag. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be a better mom if I wasn't also homeschooling. But that's not an option and not where God has led us, so this must be the best.

I'm a huge introvert with a very extroverted 3-year-old. I'm her only companion most of the time. All day. Every day. She does not understand the concept of alone time. That's a huge drawback of being an introverted hs (or SAH) mom. ;)

Other than that, introversion is a huge asset to homeschool IMO. I don't feel a need to get out and socialize with other adults. I don't feel a need to leave the house much at all really.

But I need more alone time than I'm getting, and I think staying at home (or homeschooling, if you want to call it that with a 3yo) is the main reason. Maybe it'll be easier when she gets older, or when she (finally) has a sibling?

where are all the extroverts????

oh, yeah, they are probably out at the pool, on the park, at the playground meeting people. Not staring at a screen like me.

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm about 70% introvert and 30% extrovert. I like going out, but on my terms. I don't want to be forced out of the house unexpectedly. That trip where I met Denise took a few weeks of mental prep. Not because I met Denise, but because I would be gone from the house for 10 days.

When I got home I asked Denise when we can meet half way to let our dds get together again. I haven't yet been able to firm a date in July or August because I'm still recovering from the trip.

So I suppose all of that is to say the big drawback of being so much more introverted than extroverted is the recovery time I have to build into my life.

So I suppose all of that is to say the big drawback of being so much more introverted than extroverted is the recovery time I have to build into my life.

I get that. I had an activity planned that happened on the same day as another committment. Both involved meeting people and interacting with them. I "could" have done both because there was plenty of time to get from one to another and they didn't happen at the same time. But, I knew that if I tried to do both, by the time we'd get home, I'd be snapping at the kids and very cranky and tired with nothing left for my dh.

I declined one of the activities. It was just going to be too much for me.

Introversion also influences our travel plans. I don't like traveling with the kids because I am trapped in a car with them with nowhere to hide. I can travel with dh because an hour or two's silence is fine with him.

We are all introverts here although my husband is what I call a "loud" introvert. He makes a living in sales and is very talkative but like the rest of us he charges at home.

Our biggest problem is that we are very territorial and insular. We don't like to go out. But we have a weekly playgroup that we have gone to for 6 years. I run it.

And this year, we are trying the co-op so that my children can intereact with other children while they learn.

Our days are very scheduled. Mondays we do this, Tuesdays we do that, Wednesday are for this, Thursday are for that, etc. We have a lot in common with Sheldon from the The Big Bang Theory. :lol:

As long as we keep to our schedule, have plenty of downtime and get out on a regular basis things stay fairly balanced. But it is a challenge because if they delivered books from the library and groceries we would never leave home.