Menu

Has anyone seen Rock of Ages???

:lurk5:

I really want to see this, too. There's something about this time of year (late spring & early summer) that kicks up my longing for the 80's and being young again.;)

Oh man, me too!!!

I LOVE when the radio stations around here play "Way Back Weekends" in the summer, with all '80's tunes all weekend.

astrid (note my siggy quote)

:bigear:

I want to see this but I don't care for Tommy boy. I'm hoping he doesn't have a huge part in this.

I've heard that people who didn't realize how much music/singing was in the movie didn't like it. But, those who knew ahead of time that it was more like a "musical" really enjoyed it.

:bigear:

I want to see this but I don't care for Tommy boy. I'm hoping he doesn't have a huge part in this.

I've heard that people who didn't realize how much music/singing was in the movie didn't like it. But, those who knew ahead of time that it was more like a "musical" really enjoyed it.

Cool! I'm looking forward to it even more now that I know it's a musical.

I saw it with my BFF and we're usually on the same page with movies ~ this one, not so much. :001_smile: She LOVED it and I really, um, didn't.

It is pretty funny, but raunchy. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but he was hysterical and he has a big role in the movie.

The music was the best part ~ made me feel young again.

I'll be interested to hear what others thought.

Julie

I saw it with my BFF and we're usually on the same page with movies ~ this one, not so much. :001_smile: She LOVED it and I really, um, didn't.

It is pretty funny, but raunchy. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but he was hysterical and he has a big role in the movie.

The music was the best part ~ made me feel young again.

I'll be interested to hear what others thought.

Julie

Would you mind elaborating on the "raunchy" aspect? Is it language, innuendo, nudity, or all of the above. Thanks!

I also saw it this weekend. I really enjoyed it but as someone earlier pointed out it is raunchy. There are many scenes of strippers, groupie scenes, very sexual dancing. I was a bit embarrassed at times.

I thought Tom Cruise was great. He was so creepy and weird. Loved the music.

Elise in NC

I read a lot of reviews before going to see it last night, and the funny part is, they were all correct.

If you like the scenery-chewing metal music, you'll love that part. No one much cared for the two main characters and their cardboard story. One appropriate phrase was 'dull as dirt' despite their good looks and good voices. They just couldn't carry the weight of all those Very Emotional Songs and stand up next to the stars who were the supporting cast.

I loved Tom Cruise in this. Unfortunately he's such a well-known actor, I could only see "Tom Cruise playing Stacee Jaxx." He could have had a career as a heavy metal singer, from the way he owned the stage.

At least the soundtrack didn't have the annoying guitar squealing solos that made metal music so awful (to my ears).

Tons of sex. TONS.

LOVED THE MOVIE! Total cheesy fun. That's what I expected and that's what I got. I don't like Tom Cruise at all, but he nailed the part. He was phenomenal! He had every aspect of the eccentric rock star to a tee. Perfect. I was amazed at how well he sang.

Valerie

• 2 weeks later...

I have to chime in here because there were a couple of bits that were way over the top.

spoiler alert

The scene in the church with the mayor and his secretary using the rosary beads as bondage was completely disrespectful and unnecessary. I am not catholic but the whole scene didn't sit well with me.