Menu

Will strawberries stay nice for three days?

I'm trying to get good prices on all the food I'm making for my dsd's open house. I have chocolate dipped stawberries on the menu, as well as a fruit platter.

On Thursday, our park day will take us by Aldi's, who has strawberries for $1.29/lb. If I buy the strawberries Thursday afternoon, do you think that three days later, there will still be pretty strawberries in there to make dipped strawberries with?

Is there something I can do to the berries to keep them nice until Sunday? Aldi's is too far away to make it worth running there just for the berries on a later day.

I think you'll be fine for three days if you keep them in the crisper. Aldi's berries can sometimes be on their way out, but I've found that's usually when they run the 75cent sale. Usually the berries I buy from Aldi's can stay in my fridge over a week before I find I need to wash, slice, and freeze them - that is, if they aren't eaten first! : )

I wouldn't buy them until on the way home from the park, though, if your weather is warm.

Store them is something glass. I use a few repurposed applesauce jars with lids. I get produce at Aldi's and always had an awful time with storing strawberries. I googled around and found an idea about storing in glass. Sure enough- they will last well over a week. I don't think you are supposed to rinse or wash them before you put them in- at least I don't and don't have a problem with bad strawberries after 2 days anymore.

When I buy strawberries, I like to transfer them to a pan/dish so that the strawberries are in a single layer. I've not had a problem with spoilage 3 days later as long as the strawberries weren't already damaged. I've never tried washing them before storing them, though.

I haven't tried it, but on Pinterest, it says to rinse your berries in a 1 part vinegar (white or apple cider) and 10 part water solution. It's supposed to keep the berries from getting moldy.

Works awesomely!!!! (I know - awesomely is a fake word.... But this really works so well!!)