Menu

Any other mom's here attending Girls Camp soon?

Hope you have a wonderful time!

If you are involved, what kind of things are you doing? I'm always looking for more ideas!

I am our Stake Camp Director and we just got back today. I am so exhausted. This is my third year. I love it though, but it would have been nice to have a couple of dedicated assistants. :tongue_smilie:

New facility this year. Beautiful place, beautiful weather and our 4th year program was awesome despite the rain making us change our venue for it. That program was so amazing and it touched the girls. One of our 4th year girls is attending the temple with her family very soon to be sealed. They have been members for only a year...she is such an amazing YW and so very excited.

Our theme was 'Passport to Eternity' to go along with the Rise and Shine YW them. Had the mission and temple presidents wives out to speak, lots of great crafts for the girls as well as pick up and go crafts that went over so well that we had to sit and prepare over 150 more that also disappeared quickly. I've never seen so many excited about cross-stitching and crocheting either. I taught the few that I could in between running camp and they in turn taught each other and found sisters that knew how and could help them. I even saw older sisters trying new things like that. I saw such a friendship form over these things.

We instituted a buddy system this year. We always encouraged girls to hang together, but with the new facility in the area that we were we required it. It was funny to see a girl walking along without a buddy and ask, "Where's your buddy?". Almost all of them would look around and grab the closest girl and ask them to attend with them wherever it was they needed to go. I seriously never heard a no from any girl that was asked and away they would go chatting along...it seemed to really open up the girls to allow more friendships to develop.

I had the unfortunate experience of listening to this fellow come to sing/speak to the kids. Had he only sang and not spoke, it would have been good. He has a nice voice, but his message was a little out there. He is with Deseret, having a Deseret publicist and I was actually so displeased that I will be calling and writing to them about it...he was a last minute add in (which I did not approve of; I just had a negative feeling about the whole thing). He spoke at our stake center a few days before camp and from what I was told by multiple people, he was quite offensive. Which really makes me shake my head as to why it was pushed that he come to camp...he was told what they wanted him to speak or sing about, but it seems he barely adhered to that...

We had little to no problems with our group this year. I had almost 70 girls attending. It was our largest group in quite a number of years. It was awesome!

Now to start planning for next year :svengo:. I've got my two assistants picked out already. Here's to hoping they can get approved...fortunately we all work well together. I have a tendency to be quite direct and want to do much myself because I know it'll get done if I do. They are reliable though and have no problems making me share the load (they are practically like family to us and we just love them).

Now to actually head back to bed. I tried a little while ago, but hubby wanted me to wait...now I'm off!

Just out of curiosity is this an LDS thing? The reason I ask is because a girl from my ds swim team said she was going to girls camp this week and my ds was asking me what is girls camp? I had no idea what he meant.

LDS teenage girls from 12 up go to a week of camp, creatively called girls' camp. ;) It mixes camping-type activities with spiritual activities and is a lot of fun. It has an organized 5-year program with skills to learn and progressively more difficult hikes and whatnot. I have lots of happy memories of girls' camp.

My daughter is turning 12 in a few weeks and is thrilled to go this summer. Our stake comes fairly late in the rotation, so it's not till the end of July. I'm mainly concentrating on the menus since she has a lot of food allergies. I'm not actually going myself--I volunteered to work in the kitchen but they didn't want me! They have an experienced team and a small kitchen. But they are being super-great about the allergies so I'm pretty happy. :)

We have a really nice camp that's just a couple of years old. It has archery and a fancy rope course, all kinds of stuff.

LDS teenage girls from 12 up go to a week of camp, creatively called girls' camp. ;) It mixes camping-type activities with spiritual activities and is a lot of fun. It has an organized 5-year program with skills to learn and progressively more difficult hikes and whatnot. I have lots of happy memories of girls' camp.

My daughter is turning 12 in a few weeks and is thrilled to go this summer. Our stake comes fairly late in the rotation, so it's not till the end of July. I'm mainly concentrating on the menus since she has a lot of food allergies. I'm not actually going myself--I volunteered to work in the kitchen but they didn't want me! They have an experienced team and a small kitchen. But they are being super-great about the allergies so I'm pretty happy. :)

We have a really nice camp that's just a couple of years old. It has archery and a fancy rope course, all kinds of stuff.

Well the girl is 12 so that could be what it was. I asked him if she said girl scout camp and he said no girls camp. I had never heard of a camp called that before.

We just call it Girls Camp for short. We have girls (members and non-members) attend for a week. We really enjoy a variety of activities. I really like seeing my plans for camp brought to life. The girls had a blast this year.

But I will say if anyone suggests 'Cactus Jack' come to sing to your girls......Just. Say. No. I can go into further detail if need be off board.

My dd is on her way back right now. The stake president said no pregnant women at camp or I would've gone. Maybe. The stake director is in our ward and a good friend so a bunch of us ladies help out. Last year I helped with cooking. This year I cut out 150 cupcake crown wrappers with my cricut. they had a new venue this year so I can't wait to hear how it went. I know it's a big stressor getting everything ready. But now you have 12 more months until the next one. :D

My daughter was at girl's camp last week. We are not LDS but she went with her best friend's ward. She had a blast and can't wait to go back next year.

Awesome!!

Girls' Camp is very far away in our future. Mine are still little. They are going fishing, though. :lol:

My daughter was at girl's camp last week. We are not LDS but she went with her best friend's ward. She had a blast and can't wait to go back next year.

I'm so glad that she did! It really is a fun experience if one has a positive attitude. I always give my girls a good speach about how we are there to uplift each other, work together, share funny moments and that if we have positive attitudes then we'll have a great time. I only had to have three talks with girls who were having a little difficulty. Other than that, it was awesome!

Sounds like fun - I wish there were more materials / options for learning useful crafty things like sewing and cross-stitching and the like.

Mention it to your Camp Director. I'm sure there are sisters that could come to camp and teach them. We started a Personal Progress table that stays full of things to do and 'one day' things to complete. We had friendship bracelets, simple crochet patterns with diagrams, balls of yarn and hooks, cross stitch pattern kits to grab, a basket of personal progress activities that they taped into their passports to complete.

Next year I want to bring my sewing machine and plan on asking a sister who can do several crafting things, to come be available to teach throughout the day. Hem pants, sew buttons, mend a shirt, etc. Along with the crochet and cross stitch.

I did make a point of asking each sister attending camp to write down their hobbies/skills that they'd be willing to share. I was able to provide a list on the wall with the supplies and that's how the girls got much of their help. It worked out really well, plus they got to know other leaders and helped other girls learn.

Mention it to your Camp Director. I'm sure there are sisters that could come to camp and teach them. We started a Personal Progress table that stays full of things to do and 'one day' things to complete. We had friendship bracelets, simple crochet patterns with diagrams, balls of yarn and hooks, cross stitch pattern kits to grab, a basket of personal progress activities that they taped into their passports to complete.

Next year I want to bring my sewing machine and plan on asking a sister who can do several crafting things, to come be available to teach throughout the day. Hem pants, sew buttons, mend a shirt, etc. Along with the crochet and cross stitch.

I did make a point of asking each sister attending camp to write down their hobbies/skills that they'd be willing to share. I was able to provide a list on the wall with the supplies and that's how the girls got much of their help. It worked out really well, plus they got to know other leaders and helped other girls learn.

I would, but we don't have a camp. I'm not LDS - I'm Muslim :D. But part of my family is originally LDS so I tend to peek in y'alls threads.

I'm envisioning a yearly crafting / home ec program for dd that covers all this stuff - I can't seem to find one so I guess I'll have to write it. I want her to be able to do everything I feel is necessary and helpful to be able to run a household by the time she graduates. That includes how to cook a full course meal, sew clothing and household items, repair things, basic household maintenance, and decorative useful crafts like knitting, embroidery, quilting, etc.

I would, but we don't have a camp. I'm not LDS - I'm Muslim :D. But part of my family is originally LDS so I tend to peek in y'alls threads.

I'm envisioning a yearly crafting / home ec program for dd that covers all this stuff - I can't seem to find one so I guess I'll have to write it. I want her to be able to do everything I feel is necessary and helpful to be able to run a household by the time she graduates. That includes how to cook a full course meal, sew clothing and household items, repair things, basic household maintenance, and decorative useful crafts like knitting, embroidery, quilting, etc.

There are curricula like that out there, but they tend to be pretty evangelical in tone. Keepers at Home and the Mennonite Christian Light Education both have extensive home ec curricula (I will admit to coveting the CLE one!). You just skip the units on how to sew a cape dress or a headship veil...

Our girl's camp is the end of July and I am a 2nd year tent mom. There are about 150 girls at our camp and 10 of them are in my group. Tent mom is a pretty easy job, mostly just making sure the girls get where they need to go, getting everyone in bed and getting their "beds" made and campsite cleaned up in the morning. We sleep on tent pads under the stars. Oh, and making sure there is NO candy under their pillow - we have bears! There's a bear! Where! Over there!...

The buddy system sounds fun. The biggest problem at our camp is the cliquishness. I had the girls at my house last night to make some camp stuff and they spent quite a bit of time out on the trampoline which seemed to cement their group friendship a little bit. We didn't finish the flag and all but the goal was mostly to get them to be better friends so hopefully we are good.

I've been going to camp in various capacities for 13 years and I still love love love it.

Yeah cliques can happen, but I've found that it's mainly only a few and keeping them in dorms (we are a little spoiled in that they don't tent camp here-I did not start that), that they can't really keep those cliques going. They are all together all the time.

We have some leaders with a 'potted plant' mentality...they will become gardeners instead next year. No potted plants!

My first calling when I was a new mother was a 3rd year level leader. What fun! :D

Hubby figures I have atleast 3 more years as director, as that's how long our daughter has before she's through.

I must be doing something right though as I have girls that are finished with the program and are coming back already as an adult leader (we put them as assistants to other adult leaders). I have three girls that finished this year and are planning on returning next year and my 'adopted daughter' that will be returning for her 8th straight year! I am pumped, lol!

Oh, what a good idea!

The Young Women Camp Manual can be downloaded.

My mom had an earlier edition of a book called "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?" that she referred to fairly often. (Her mom worked full-time, so she didn't get many house-hold management lessons growing up.) Probably still useful, especially if balanced by it's counter-part, "Where's Dad Now That I Need Him?"

I don't know this one, "On My Own ... and Clueless," but it seems to be in the same vein. (This is series is the LDS answer to "... For Dummies" or "Idiot's Guide to...")

Hmm, I think a library trip is in order for tomorrow....

Edited by Maus

I'm leaving for girls camp tomorrow. with my three girls! :D I loved girls camp growing up and am very happy to have been able to go to girls camp with all my girls this year and last year.

I teach water aerobics each year, and this year am also teaching the sanatation class as well as being a tent mom.

Last year the girls worked on value sticks. Each girl received a little gift bag with specific beads and a story about their assigned value. We then had a ceremony where they received a specific type of wood stick that matched their value. The girls worked on their sticks all week--carving, sanding, burning, decorating them. It was awesome.

This year we will have the girls work on decorating jars on Tuesday. Wednesday morning they will be awakened at 4:30, so we can go to the beach with our jars. They will receive various colored sands that represent each young women's value. The sands will be introduced by their YCLs. Then candles will be placed in the jars and lit. The jars will then be all joined together on the beach to represent unity. And we will then watch the sunrise and eat breakfast before heading into the little town where our camp is held. In town the girls will be set free to find service to preform. All the camp leaders are fasting today for a good experience for the girls with their service. We want them to be able to find meaningful service.

Camp is exhusting for me, but I love it. I'm thinking this may be my last year since I am no longer in the YWs, but perhaps they will find some other way for me to go in the future!

We had a certification camp this past Fri-Sat with an overnighter as we are having a different type of Girls Camp this year.... Our Girls Camp is stake-wide, and this year we are meeting at a summer camp that offers a lot of formal activities as part of the registration price (archery/bb guns, horseback riding, a circular float river, etc.) With most of our certification out of the way, we are having more of a retreat than a true camp.

In the past we camped nearby at a local lake. In the past four years, we've dealt with 2 tornadoes, 1 camp flooding, 115F + 80% humidity week, and other challenges. Here's hoping for better weather this year....we'd like for our girls to have one less-than-harrowing Girls Camp!

As far as ideas go....we did some secret sister gifts this weekend in prep for camp: a lemon sugar handscrub in baby food jars and some mod-podged wooden ($1) picture frames..

Sounds fun! I really wish we had some other options available to us...as it is our Stake President will really only allow us to attend two camps near his home...I'm really praying for a change...there are some other amazing venues near us...but my numbers keep growing and I have girls finishing their levels and returning as adult leaders. I must be doing something right :D