Menu

Cost of a class at a university model school in your area?

My sons have taken high school science classes at the local university model school for about eight years. The cost of one class which meets three times weekly have gone up from about four hundred dollars to about eight hundred dollars yearly. That seems high to me but maybe I'm wrong. How much are the classes at the university model school in your area?

is run like an university, kind of. The classes meet two or three times a week and the kids stay home the other two or three days with a parent. The schools follow the local university's academic calendar.

Here, the kids can take as many classes as they want. But to get a diploma from the school, they have to take a minimum number of the classes for a certain number of years.

The cost of the classes here have doubled in eight years so I was wondering about the costs of the other schools. I guess the cost is not too high, then. But it does make it difficult for the stay at home parent to keep paying for the classes without having to go to work full time in order to afford them because the parent has to stay home the two or three days the classes are not in session. Quite a few families have had to drop out of the school and either go back to homeschooling full time, go to work full time and put the kids in full time private schools or put them in public schools.

There is one local bona fide UM that has actually seemed to maintain steady pricing in the years that I've known of them, we only used it once four years ago but I cannot remember the price. I thought it reasonable.

We have another large co-op that is growing into a fully menu UM school, nonaccredited at this point. Between the new registration fees and rising class cost, the price has gone up probably 200% in three years. They now offer some dual enrollment credit through a distant rural private college; the cost of those classes has risen from around $300 to near $800 a year. Moms I know with high school age kids who go there have dropped their kids as soon as they can transfer to the local CC, which is nationally recognized and much more affordable. They co-op/UM has priced itself out of the market and doesn't seem to realize it yet. However, it remains a viable (though pricey) option for kids who need instructors for higher level maths and sciences but whose parents don't feel they are socially ready for the CC campus and non-Christian environment.

The university lab school in the town that I live in has the following fee structure for full time students. (Not sure if they prorate the activity and computer fees for part time students)

Activity fee 160

Computer fee 125

Purchase own books, ususally 250-400

Individual course fees range from 5 to 88 for AP. Most are around the $20 range.

ETA--this isn't a private school but a state supported university lab school. $800 for one high school course in a private school here would be very reasonable.

My sons have taken high school science classes at the local university model school for about eight years. The cost of one class which meets three times weekly have gone up from about four hundred dollars to about eight hundred dollars yearly. That seems high to me but maybe I'm wrong. How much are the classes at the university model school in your area?

So 3 classes a week, 36 weeks or so a year, = 108 classes. So $800 makes it about $8 per class. That $8 includes, presumably, contact with the teacher during the week if needed, administrative overhead, cost of the building, insurance, teacher salary, and so on. The "hour" includes teacher prep time, time to get the materials, time to mark the work, time to talk to parents, and so on. If they're science classes, there are probably assorted materials included, and it may mean more in the way of insurance costs. A high school science teacher must have the appropriate background to teach the class, or it will be useless.

The going rate for dance classes in our area is around $12-$13 per hour.

I'll be honest - I probably would not be willing to teach a high school level science class for any less than this. It's a *lot* of work. Each extra student adds more work. At the previous price the teacher was probably making only minimum wage when you factor in the prep time. That's fine if you're doing it because your own kid is in the class and thus is benefiting from it, but when you're turning down other work in order to do it, then you really need to be paid what your time and experience and knowledge is worth.

My sons attend a UMS. Your expense sounds similar to ours. Current price is $125 per credit hour. So a typical high school class will start at $375. Some classes, like science or art, have fees--about $50 each--for supplies. Registration is $100 per child. Activity fee is $50. I think part-time students pay both of these fees. All of these prices are per semester. Of course uniforms and books are separate expenses.

their kids out of the school when the rates went up, I can understand better now why the school did that. Thanks for doing the math on how much a teacher really earns for teaching one class and also for the info. on how much the other schools charge.

My older boys had benefited so much from the science classes and now that I know that the tuition fee is reasonable after all, I feel more comfortable now about having my youngest son who is still eleven take them eventually. I just hope I can afford them. And that the school can still stay open if too many more families don't drop out.

is run like an university, kind of. The classes meet two or three times a week and the kids stay home the other two or three days with a parent. The schools follow the local university's academic calendar.

Here, the kids can take as many classes as they want. But to get a diploma from the school, they have to take a minimum number of the classes for a certain number of years.

The cost of the classes here have doubled in eight years so I was wondering about the costs of the other schools. I guess the cost is not too high, then. But it does make it difficult for the stay at home parent to keep paying for the classes without having to go to work full time in order to afford them because the parent has to stay home the two or three days the classes are not in session. Quite a few families have had to drop out of the school and either go back to homeschooling full time, go to work full time and put the kids in full time private schools or put them in public schools.

Thank you for explaining this. This is different to what my sons have done. they were doing actual uni courses.